Echo Spot countdown boutiques-francophones Introducing Fire 7 tablet, starting at $59.99 WFM Furniture Kindle Paperwhite fd18 Tools

Customer reviews

How to Eat: The Pleasures and Principles of Good Food
Format: Paperback|Change

on June 11, 2016
Great!
on April 8, 2013
Arrived promptly but I had to wipe it down as it was quite grimy. Other than the dirty worn cover a good product.
on June 9, 2001
I have a special shelf for cookbooks in my living room...right next to the kitchen, as should be. For some reason, "How to eat" by Nigella Lawson, has been lying around the floor in my bedroom, or on the sofa in the living room, or wherever else apart from the kitchen, for the last couple of years since I bought it. What I'm trying to say is that this book is not just a simple cookbook, but more a description of the pleasure of good eating, & of preparing good food for yourself & for people you love.
On the other hand, the actual recipes (at least the ones I've tried so far, which are quite a few) seem to work, even from the first time you try them. I mention this because I've heard & read all sorts of comments about whether N.Lawson's recipes work or not. Maybe this is because Nigella Lawson has become a celebrity in England--imagine: she writes well, cooks well, & to top all that, she's beautiful too! How can you beat that? This is why 2 camps seem to have emerged--a "pro-Nigella" camp & an "anti-Nigella" camp!! This is all ridiculous, of course. The point is that Nigella Lawson has written, at least in my opinion, one of the best cookbooks of recent years. Down to earth, with good & long-winded explanations, written in a direct, friendly style, with such love for good food that even reading the book makes you want to rush to the kitchen & start creating a feast. "How to eat" is about comfort-eating at its best, & for me at least, it serves as comfort-reading too...
on January 25, 2002
I first came across Nigella through the Style Network's airing of "Nigella Bites." I became an immediate fan. It's rare to find such an entertaining, witty, likeable and beautiful woman on TV. My favorite bit is that the show ends by Nigella raiding the 'fridge. Reading her book is a bit like watching her show--like having a very cool friend come over and teach you how to whip up some good food. Nigella talks about how she encourages her kids to eat healthful, her diet, and her food philosophy--which seems to be a combination of quality (organic) mixed with pleasure. Her recipes are easy to make, and the results are wonderful. I've yet to come across a bad one. Nigella just may surpass Martha some day--as she's refreshingly real.
on March 15, 2002
After watching Nigella Bites on BBC America, I knew I was onto something. This lady is not only easy on the eyes, she is a marvel in the kitchen. And her laid-back persona comes through in her book. Wonderful recipes, funny vignettes on everyday life and love of food and she even makes the more complicated recipes easy to understand. I especially loved the chapter covering children's recipes. And her easy-going approach to ingredients is most refreshing; giving substitutions and approaches that are always innovative. Even if you don't cook, this book is a joy to read. Do yourself a favor, invite Nigella into your kitchen!
on December 28, 2000
Whether you're looking to bone up on basics (perfect your roast chicken or bechamel for example) or discover something new (sole with chanterelles, or mascarpone, rum and lime cream perhaps), Lawson's unpretentious descriptions ("moussy calf's liver," "chickeny juices," "thick, squashy root vegetable stew") and self-effacing tone, ("When I cook with too much of an audience, I immediately worry about what'll happen if something goes wrong,") give you the feeling you're learning from another lover of food, a partner in kitchen crime. I love her short "discussions" before each selection of recipes, where she gives tips, anecdotes or simple memories about the recipes that follow. Grab a glass of wine and get your notebook (or post-its) ready before settling down with this one!
on October 14, 2002
How to Eat is what a cookbook should be, just like Nigella Lawson's cooking show redefines all cooking shows. The recipes are divine and organized cleverly into useful chapters like "Quick and Easy Dinners After Work." The "Cooking for Children" section is also really useful. I've made several dozen meals from her cookbook and so far, all are winners. Her Basic Roast Chicken is divine--the best I've ever eaten, much less made. She is passionate about food, but in a down-to-earth, healthy way. She's also not afraid of fat!
One person found this helpful
on October 31, 2002
Before i cooked anything from this cookbook, i was fascinated that it reads more like a lifestyle manual than a typical cookbook. Reading it i could almost hear Nigella saying the words in my head.
The recipies are fun and well thought of, her Macaronie and Cheese is fabulous, and soo easy! I enjoy laying around the house, sipping tea and reading between the recipies, because that girl has a talent for words. I love this book, she did a great job, as usual.
3 people found this helpful
on November 18, 2001
In direct contrast to books that make you feel like there's only one way to cook, this one puts you at ease with the concept of cooking, and converses you through the recipes. The tone is warm and accessible, as the author assumes the results of your efforts will be enjoyed in the company of friends, loved ones, small children and good conversation.
I'm already very comfortable in the kitchen and with improvisational recipes, but the book is so engaging and well-written, with just enough of a hip, British tone, that it makes the simple seem adventurous and the adventurous seem simple. It made me want to try every recipe.
With great sections on basics (like stock, roast chicken, sweet pastry dough, vinaigrette, etc.), making ahead and feeding kids, the book has tons of recipes and organizational "tips" that help seamlessly integrate the life-affirming and theraputic act of cooking good food with the essential role of mealtime as part of a good life well-lived.
on August 12, 2002
This is a great book. I love watching her TV show and am always looking for new ideas and parties to throw with new foods. I think this is a great book for people who know some about cooking and it really explains it step by step. If you have two left feet in the kitchen you may want to start out with a small menu before you go to a larger party menu. This is a great cookbook with an eclectic offering of menu choices from comfort foods to fine dining. Hope you enjoy this book as much as I do.