sports Tools countdown boutiques-francophones Luxury Beauty Furniture Kindle

Showing 1-6 of 6 reviews(1 star). See all 102 reviews
on May 25, 2004
on my second pregnancy with a month to go, I found most of it to be really crass (according to the editorial review that makes me 'uptight'). I also don't care how/why/if she is a celebrity and I got tired of her bringing it up in every chapter (which, by the way, really have no substance to them at all). There are so many funnier, more interesting, informative, and in depth pregnant and 'mommy' books out there ('Girlfriend's Guide', 'I Don't Know How She Does It', etc.) that I found this one to be a huge waste of money. I *might* encourage someone to borrow it from the library, but never to buy it.
on August 27, 2012
This book is extremely disappointing, unfunny and tragic !!! It is vulgar and the tone of it sounds like it is written by a 14 yrs old who learned about pregnancy from watching a dumb comedy. Poorly written and executed. It will only take you a few hours to read the book since each chapter is a few pages long. In addition, this book is just a long blurb of complaints. If you are considering this book read both the negative and positive comments then decide what appeals to you.
on June 25, 2004
Jenny McCarthy sadly doesn't "get" what it means to be pregnant, give birth or be a devoted parent.
She makes her book about the so-called funny aspects of pregnancy and birth, but never focuses on the joyous, transformational, miraculous things that happen to a woman when pregnant and giving birth. She reinterates our culture's fear of the changes of pregnancy and birth without reminding us of the personal growth possible when becoming a parent and experiencing pregnancy. Pregnancy and birth were meant to be transforming experiences.
Yes, your body changes and you act different, but who says that those changes aren't for the better? More curves, more awareness of your body and its amazing developments, eating well, avoiding bad substances, and finally existing for someone other than yourself.
Regarding labor, if you want to avoid a cesearan section (major surgery), try to keep you birth as physiologically normal as possible. Deal with contractions by moving and changing positions (not epidurals or drugs), avoid routine interventions that may not apply to you (IVs or continuous fetal monitoring), and hire a birth attendant who supports your decisions (usually a midwife, but a doc might too!)
Jenny is simply showing her colors regarding pregnancy, birth, and life in this book. She seems to be someone who is more concerned about her own appearance and comfort than the good of anyone else (including her child---let's remember that she thought NOT breastfeeding was okay!). Is NOT breastfeeding still politically (or otherwise) correct? Not according to the Centers for Disease Control, World Health Organization or American Academy of Pediatrics.
So regarding Jenny's book? Garbage.
on April 1, 2013
I hated this book. I know other moms that claimed to love it. I hated it so much I couldn't even finish reading it. It wasn't funny, it was just not for me. You might like it but I sure did not.
on April 2, 2011
After seeing all the reviews I just had to purchase this book. I should have borrowed it from the library instead and saved myself the money.

Not only is Jenny McCarthy NOT funny, but the book was only like 120 pages! Pregnancy is a long and arduous journey that Jenny just seemed to skim over and talk about things that are generally true but she doesn't go into detail about any of her topics. Its almost like anecdotes and that's it.

If you are looking for a book that you can read in a matter of hours, and that has no real relevant information other than what most women already know about pregnancy, then this ones for you. Otherwise I'd save my money and buy a REAL book.
on April 25, 2004
Unless you are into the really crude kind of humor that passes for entertainment on late-night TV, you will be offended by this book. The book is quite explicit at times, and the jokes are more reminiscent of the kind of humor you'd expect from a group of adolescent boys obsessed with certain body parts than a woman expecting a baby. I'm sure some women will enjoy this book, but personally I found it offensive and disrespectful to pregnancy and motherhood. So buyer beware.