Echo Spot countdown boutiques-francophones Introducing Fire TV Stick Basic Edition WFM Furniture Kindle Paperwhite Explore the Amazon.ca Vinyl LP Records Store fd18 Tools

Customer reviews

The 8th Habit: From Effectiveness to Greatness
Format: Paperback|Change

on April 13, 2018
I found the 7 Habits of Highly Effective People to be a game changer. Now The 8th Habit has added even more power and understanding to the task of living our lives in greatness. Others may not appreciate Stephen Covey and his teachings but I belief he has tapped into an arena that is so needed. We all want to improve. Most books are about using Outside-In techniques. Covey beautifully invites us to embrace an Inside-Out approach.
on October 3, 2014
The 8th Habit was very valuable to me. Stephen Covey presents a natural, holistic, balanced approach to life: Body Mind, Heart, and Spirit. It's taken me a long time to read & understand this book because of it's abstract-ness, but in my heart I know this is an important message that applies to everyone. His core message to humanity, I think, is "Educate and Obey Your Conscience". That is so basic, so fundamental, but so correct.

The 8th Habit is simply to 1.) "Find your voice", which is the overlapping of your Talents (what you're good at), Passion (what you love to do), Need (what the world needs, even enough to pay you for), and Conscience (that sense of what is right to do).
And 2.) "Inspire Others to Find Theirs", which is done in your relationships & organizations, by following principles that expand your influence.

The most powerful concept in the book for me was that of "Moral Authority" which is when a person chooses to live by principles (like fairness, respect, accountability, mutual understanding, integrity, contribution, & meaning) in his relationships. Then as trust is earned, the person gradually becomes a leader of those around him by their consent. He has earned their trust and they freely give it to him without him demanding it. Like Ghandi when he said he would not eat until his nation stopped fighting, and they freely obeyed by their own choice.

The book outlines 2 paths in life which we all choose: Either the culturally-scripted well-travelled path to mediocrity, or the upper road to greatness. Since this "greatness" builds upon the concept of "effectiveness", this book is best for people who have already reached a certain degree of understanding & competence in effectiveness, and are ready to search deeper, to get to an even higher grasp of the unconditional worth of all people and how to unleash human potential.

I'm just a 25 year old medic in BC, with very little leadership experience. But if I become involved in projects which involve cooperation of other people, I intend to apply these principles and even buy a few copies of this book for those whose influence I earn, so that they may educate & obey their consciences too.
One person found this helpful
on November 10, 2017
A good read and follow up by Covey.
on July 21, 2016
The audio book is way better than reading the book yourself.
on May 4, 2015
Lots of great stuff to apply today.
on May 30, 2014
Unfortunately, this was FALSE advertising; there was no DVD with the book and when I informed the company and requested one , they said they can't supply it. Not sure where to go next in terms of securing the DVD.
on March 13, 2017
Excellent
on June 2, 2015
Second Best Book Ever!!!
on April 19, 2015
Informative, inspirational
on July 15, 2014
Just a repeat of the other 7 habits using different stories.

John