countdown boutiques-francophones Learn more Coffee Week Home All-New Kindle Music Deals Store sports tools

Format: Hardcover|Change

on May 25, 2006
DECEPTION POINT is the third book I read over Christmas. The other two were Roth's PLOT AGAINST AMERICA and McCrae's KATZENJAMMER, all of which I liked-the McCrae especially since it was a tad more literary and quirky. If your like most readers, you've probably already read THE DA VINCI CODE, and A&D, and you're wanting more from Dan Brown, so you pick up DECEPTION POINT. It follows suit with the same exciting, stunning fact-filled writing. It is a page-turner, but it does tend to be a little cliche. Another attractive woman paired up with a man who hints at being attracted to each other through their outrageous near death experiences, and the information they discover will save the day in the end. It was smart, fast-moving and entertaining, but a little bit of a let down after reading the other great novels by Dan Brown. Also try the McCrae KATZENJAMMER if you're looking for a short interesting read that's like nothing else you've ever read.
on April 29, 2009
My dad gave me this book when I was lamenting that there seemed to be no more Dean Koontz to read...I was waiting for a next release and figured I needed another author to fill the void. This was the first Dan Brown novel I read and holy smokes awesome!! One of those thrill rides that just keeps you glued to the edge of your seat, even bathroom breaks wait!! Try walking and reading and stopping cause it is so exciting you don't want to look away to find the light switch! Actually read DaVinci code after, and then everything he has written which is my only complaint, NOT ENOUGH!!!!!!!!!! We NEED more books and although DaVinci is awesome, more like Deception Point would be trully apreciated!!! Have loved everyone of his books and can hardly wait for this next one that is not out yet!! Woo Hoo a New Dan Brown Book!!! Going to be great!!
on September 15, 2009
This book was a strange experience. By that, I mean that as I read it I kept saying, "Nah, that's too far fetched" and "No, no, that escape is not realistic". For a guy with a logical mind where every thing in a novel must make sense and be plausible, this novel seemed to be riddled with logic holes; just too many narrow escapes from sure death and/or destruction. However, having said that, I couldn't put the darn thing down and read it from cover to cover in pretty much one sitting.

So, there you go, a great read even with all it's plot 'flaws'.
on September 7, 2006
I finally decided to take a break from my current genre of books. Having been immersed in the "funny, weird, laugh-out-loud" kinds (Sedaris' ME TALK PRETTY and McCrae's KATZENJAMMER) I decided to take on the thriller genre. So DECEPTION POINT seemed like the natural choice. And it was. Now, I haven't read Brown's other books, but I'm going to as soon as possible. If they're any bit as good as D.P., then I'll be pleased. Was the plot somewhat improbable? You bet. But then think of any good book or movie you've read lately. How realistic was that? My advice? If you're not a Dan Brown fan, read D.P.-----and you soon will be.
on July 19, 2004
i read this in essentially one sitting, on a plane. it's the first time in my adult life i've read one of these junk-food-for-the-brain thrillers that you see lined up in airport bookshops. and i now see the use of these sorts of books. it's a good way to utterly distract yourself while you're stuffed into an uncomfortable seat for several hours.
the reading experience was a mixture of guilty pleasure and embarassment. i'm a sucker for the techno-gee-wizardry and the intrigue, but at the same time i was astonished by the utter lameness of the writing... particularly the dialogue. the characters were 1-dimensional and completely uninteresting. i kept hoping the protaganists would die, which would lend a modicum of realism and unpredictability. but these characteristics were in short supply. and while i'm a lefty crank myself, i found the heavy-handed and simplistic left-wing bias nauseating. in this world, republicans are sinister and souless dastardly demons, and democrats are lofty and righteous. gag me.
the action sequences left me cold, and honestly could have been written by a seventh grader (the escape off the ice shelf in particular was just plain silly).
i will admit however that i allowed myself to be taken in by the plot, which was a fun ride and kept me turning the pages. but my guess it's like a million other books that have similar-looking covers and similar-sounding (and meaningless) names.
and for god sakes there was *product placement* in this book! i think dan brown must have made deals with various manufacturers of outdoor gear as he makes numerous references to brands such as Thinsulate.
i was planning on reading the da vinci code, but unless someone convinces me that d.b.'s wrinting skills have leapt forward by orders of magnitude then i'm not going to bother.
on April 28, 2003
I was introduced to the books of author Dan Brown only three weeks ago, but have quickly absorbed all four of his published works. It is easy to see why some are comparing the work of Dan Brown and James BeauSeigneur (THE CHRIST CLONE TRILOGY). Both Brown and BeauSeigneur deal masterfully with the more mysterious features of religion, politics, and science. Both bring to light amazing bits of information, which they weave into the intricate patterns of their stories. Both are highly imaginative and write with a ring of authenticity that makes for a compelling read. While Brown compresses labyrinthine plots into brief time periods to provide page-turning suspense, BeauSeigneur trilogy is of epic proportion, covering several decades. While Brown applies the mysteries of history to the drama of "today," BeauSeigneur uses both history and prophecy (from perhaps a dozen major world religions) to transport the reader from the world of today, to the very dawning of a new age in a story reminiscent of the scope of Asimov's classic, FOUNDATION.
One other difference is that BeauSeigneur has taken the novel (pun intended and forgiveness is asked) approach of including footnotes in his books of fiction. By doing so, he all but eliminates the necessity of suspending disbelief. Few authors employ such strong factual grounding as to make footnotes useful, but I believe Brown's work (and his readers) would benefit from BeauSeigneur's innovation.
on March 11, 2004
The book Passenger To Frankfurt. The author of this book is Agatha Christie. This book contains three books in it. I read all the books.
This Book Contains a lot of stuff, about this guy named Stafford Nye. He and his friend(Renata), must go see a queen. By her request. Stafford think's that he is going to somewhere interesting,Like skiing or to some big play. But really he is going to meet a queen. This queens name is Grafin Charlotte Von Waldsausen. They all think she is one fat queen!
This book was pretty good. I don't know if I would recommend this book to anyone. Because I didn't find it very interesting. Some of the parts in the book I did not really understand. But some of the others just didn't make scence to me. I will be very honest I had a hard time understanding this book. Some people may want to read this book. But I don't think I will read this book again, because I don't think I will get it anyway. I really don't think there was enough detail in this book. I felt it could have had a little more.
I really didn't like this book. Here are a few reasons why I didn't like it.
One reason was, because I didn't understand.And usually when I don't understand something I don't like the book. Another reason I didn't like the book was because I thought the book didnt tell to much about the people or what they did. This book didn't catch my attention when I started to read the book. A third reason why I didn't like the book was because the book was kinda of boring from the beging. I don't think I would read this book again. Even if I read a book by the same author it definitely wouldnt be this one again. But the last reason I didn't like the book was because I really couldn't understand what the author was trying to get by. Weather he wanted to make a point or just tell a story about it. But other then that I didn't really approve of the book. And I wouldnt recommend this book to people who don't find book's without enough detail or cant understand stories very well.
Well those are some of the things that my book Passenger To FrankFurt contains. And why I liked it and didn't like it!
This review was written on March 11,204.
on April 2, 2004
I just love books like this that respect the reader so much. It's so readable, completely un-self-indulgent, and you're happily entrenched in escape-from-the-world mode from cover to cover. Also, personally I'm a great fan of all the amazing new technology that comes out but I'd never have time to learn about it.
In Dan Brown's books, one of the things I look forward to is knowing that he's going to teach me about all the cool new stuff, in a way that shows how it might all actually be used, for good or for evil, and I always come away feeling like my knowledge is right there on the cutting edge! I just have a ton of respect for an author who does so much homework about interesting things and does such a good job at making it so much fun to absorb for his readers. It's something I've always liked about Tom Clancy, but I now think I like Dan's books more because they always keep the energy level up and don't drag on with filler like it seems Clancy's books now do.
I find Dan's books somehow entertain me in the effortless, direct way a great movie does: I can just sit down and sink into the great story and, and I mean this in the best possible way, I don't really have to think; it's not like reading, it's more like watching a great flick. You kind of just sit back and enjoy the ride - the story just flows into you. I'm always sad to finish them because life seems so mundane afterward.
For fun, if you are open minded and looking for those books begging for its pages to be turned...look no further. I just read a copy of Edgar Fouche's 'Alien Rapture,' which also blew me away. Fouche was a Top Secret Black Program 'insider', whose credibility has been verified over and over. I also really liked Dan Brown's 'Angels and Demons.' Want to be shocked, check out Dr. Paul Hill's 'Unconventional Flying Objects' which NASA tried to ban - and lend credibility to Brown's book and the possibility of NASA and Government cover-ups. Anyway, great stuff.
on February 22, 2004
Before burning up the bestsellers' list with THE DA VINCI CODE, author Dan Brown released three other novels. ANGELS & DEMONS introduced the recurring hero around whom CODE was based, and another was about advances in digital cryptography. The third was DECEPTION POINT, a bizarre misfire that reads like a weak pastiche of a Michael Crichton thriller. Fans of THE DA VINCI CODE now searching through Brown's backlist for a good read would be wise to steer well clear of this rubbish.
DECEPTION POINT takes place in a parallel America with only passing resemblance to the real thing. In this parallel America, the top-rated show on television is a documentary program about Earth's oceans, and a presidential candidate can surge to the top of the polls by publicly bashing NASA's budget overruns. Clearly Brown's more interested in the thrill-a-minute set pieces he's arranged for his characters to endure than in providing an even slightly realistic backdrop.
In the context of a bizarre contest for the Presidency, an incredible discovery is made in the polar ice. Teams of scientists, as well as a purely extraneous character meant to be the protagonist, travel to the Arctic Circle to verify the find. Brown spends the first hundred pages of DECEPTION POINT trying to cast a Michael Crichton-esque spell upon the proceedings, complete with mouthpiece characters spewing reams of expository data. Later, though, when evidence of fraud comes to light, the narrative devolves into a series of action sequences so wildly improbable that they would give Arnold Schwarzenegger pause.
Dan Brown is no Michael Crichton. While Crichton can take even the most mundane of topics and infuse it with fascination and wonderment, Brown can only run his flat, poorly developed characters through the motions. His villains are one step away from twirling their mustaches and tying the heroes to the railroad tracks. The conspiracy around which the plot is so widespread and costly to enact that the reader is not convinced anyone would buy it.
DECEPTION POINT demonstrates that no cliché is beneath Brown's consideration. The novel has everything: scheming politicians with a history of infidelity and dishonest financial dealings, wisecracking scientists, killers who can never seem to kill the heroes even when there's no escape, and villains who'd rather talk about their plans than dispose of their enemies. Perhaps if Dan Brown were trying to create an AUSTIN POWERS-like satire of technothrillers, DECEPTION POINT could be considered a success. As it is, the novel is a flailing mess even before it reaches its howlingly far-fetched conclusion.
As mentioned, DECEPTION POINT will likely see its sales renewed thanks to Dan Brown's powerhouse hit, THE DA VINCI CODE, but it doesn't deserve the attention. Writing careers have foundered on books as worthless as DECEPTION POINT. Dan Brown and his publishers would be better off burying this novel deep in the polar ice cap. That's no worse than it deserves.
on May 26, 2004
Dan Brown hit it big with The Da Vinci Code. He had already used the characters in that book once before in Angels & Demons. Now when I say he used the characters, I mean not only was Robert Langdon in both stories, but the female lead, the endearing father figure, the megalomaniacal villain, the unstoppable killer, and the militant police officer were in both stories. Now, true, the names for everyone but Robert Langdon were changed. But they were the same characters.
On top of that, I think that Angels & Demons is a far superior story to The Da Vinci Code. So when I downloaded and began reading Deception Point, Brown's third novel, I was afraid that the same characters would be present. I still suspected this having gotten all the way through the first dozen chapters or so. None of the characters had been developed very well at that point and even though the apparent main character was female instead of male, the same kind of details existed around her. She did an obscure job, had a phobia, and got thrown into a situation that she felt completely foreign in.
Howver, what I discovered as I read was that of his latter three books, Deception Point is definitely Brown's best work. (I have yet to read Digital Fortress, his very first novel.) Brown didn't focus on just one character for the story to revolve around, he had two: Rachel Sexton (the action sequences star) and Gabrielle Ashe (the intrigue sequences star).
The story is that of a presidential election and a massive NASA discovery - a meteorite that contained fossilized extraterrestials! Great stuff. The action sequences included icebergs, submarines, black helicopters, UFOs, and Hammerhead sharks! The intrigue sequences included terrorism, illegal campaign financing, massive governmental cover-ups, and the naturally exciting field of presidential politics.
When I think about either of the Illuminati novels, I can think of six main characters. When I think of this novel, there are at least 10 main characters and I know I'm missing some. In a complete reversal of normal literary critique, Brown seems to be a better storyteller when he doesn't focus on developing characters. It truly is the weakest part of his craft (if you don't count the ham-fisted romantic relationships he tries to write).
In the end, I knew three-quarters of the way through who the real megalomaniacal mastermind was. And it was then that I started recognizing a few of the set pieces that Brown is using over and over. For lack of a better term, he has schticks. And he's used them in all three novels of his that I've read. See if you can find them.
Overall, this book was worth the time if you're a Dan Brown fan. It read quickly in parts but slowly in others and sometimes the twists were telegraphed a mile away. If I were asked I would definitely recommend it to anyone who enjoys popcorn movies.