countdown boutiques-francophones home Beauty Kindle Explore the Amazon.ca Vinyl LP Records Store sports Tools

Format: DVD|Change

on July 11, 2004
For a movie going on lucky 13 years old, it's still as fun to watch as it was the first time I saw it in the theaters. Peter Banning is a well off American lawyer married to the great grandaughter of Wendy Moira Angela Darling...Mora Darling. He also has two kids, Jack and Maggie. However, supporting for his family has become a full time job and as such he's forgotten all about having an imagination, playing with his kids, spending time with his family, and enjoying his life. And in the middle of all of this, there's Capt. James S. Hook, life long enemy of Peter Pan (Banning, though unbeknownst to him). In an act of vengeance, he kidnaps Banning's kids in the night, and tinkerbell comes home to bring Peter back to Never Neverland and make Peter remember the life he left behind and the fight that was never finished.
Mr. Spielberg went all out on this movie, and it shows. There's a lot of heart and soul here from the pirate ships to the lost boys hideout to London and back again. At the same time, there's a lot of heart in both the screenplay and the actors embodiment of the characters. I don't think there will ever be a Hook as good as the one that Dustin Hoffman has done in this film, Bob Hoskins is always a pleasure to watch and his comedic timing is near perfect, causing everything from a slight chuckle to uproarious laughter to pass your lips after each scene he's in, and William's Peter Banning/Pan, while extrodinarily silly and misguided at times, comes around brilliantly, and the first time you watch him fly you can't help but grin from ear to ear.
The child talent is always a risky business, but if you accept that the kids are not going to be the best actors in the world, you realize that most of them do the script justice, whether they know they are or not. Charlie Korsmo, along with Dante Basco, are clearly the most talented, carrying their scenes with Williams and Hoffman very well.
John Williams score is as wonderful as it ever was (you can hear some of the framework for the Harry Potter music in this particular score)...
And finally, there's the message..."never grow up". It's the same message from the original movie, but how it gets there is slightly different. As we watch Peter Banning remember and relive the life he left behind, we realize what he realizes; growing old doesn't mean you have to grow up...and you have to live...for that is the "great adventure".
At 2 hours and 20 minutes, the movie drags here and there a bit from time to time. And on no fault of the original production, the special effects of the film have not held up as well as they could have in the last 13 years. The movie is starting to look it's age. But I think no matter how old this movie gets, there will always be people who will be taken back by the simple premise of this movie and embrace it for the wonderful way it's taken the original Peter Pan story to a whole new level...and beyond.
on January 14, 2004
Only Spielberg could have assembled this dream cast: Maggie Smith as the aged Wendy, Robin Williams as the grown-up Peter Pan, Dustin Hoffman as Hook, Bob Hoskins as Smee and Julia Roberts as Tinkerbell. The film has an interesting premise -- Peter has grown up and forgotten his past, but must remember if he is to rescue his two children from Hook -- but it takes too long to get going and it hasn't aged particularly well. It's still worth a watch but more of a rental than to buy.
The DVD extras are -- not there. There are trailers for Hook and Jumanji, and past credits for Spielberg, Hoffman, Roberts, Williams and Hoskins (why not Smith?). That's it. The film can be heard or subtitled only in English.
on July 6, 2003
People can't seem to agree on how this movie is rated. Unfortunately, it might be a "love it or hate it" thing, in which case reviews are meaningless. I will go ahead and say that I LOVED this movie as a child (well, preteen), and all of my friends did too. I actually liked the Lost Boys, especially Rufio, whose whole character I found very interesting. I didn't like the skateboard bits, but if I were a little boy, I might.I absolutely LOVED Hoffman as Hook - he was funny and sinister all at the same time ("I'm going to do it, and don't try to stop me. Smee, don't you dare try to stop me, Smee, try to stop me. Smee! Try to stop me, I'm commiting suicide here!"). Robing Williams is excellent as always, and Pan's children do a fantastic job. I really empathized with the little girl when I was little. There are a few flaws (I didn't like Julia Roberts as Tinkerbell, actually), but overall this movie is definitely worth a rent. Good for the young and the young-at-heart (sorry for the corny line!), I highly recommend it.
on April 26, 2000
We got a great history, almost a legend. Then they take RObin Williams (ridiculous as ever!) to be Peter Pan! They must have thinked :"what a great different idea, how we are brilliant!" But they just destroyed the history, making two hours of torment watching this lousy picture, whre even Julia Roberts doesn't save herself.!
on May 16, 2004
Since there are so many other reviews available, I'll save my opinions on how great this film is and go straight to the DVD review.
First things first, the DVD version of "Hook" offers an increidble 5.1 Dolby Digital soundtrack that makes a huge difference if you've been getting by on the VHS edition. My room was shaking everytime the cannons went off with my surround sound. As for the picture, Hook has one of the most beautiful video transfers I've ever seen from a film to a disc. There were some absolutely gorgeous scenes of Neverland and spectacular menus.
Unfortunately, like most of Tri-Star's DVDs, this film is absent of extras. You get trailers for Hook and Jumanji, and some lame "Tallent Files" thing it looks like someone pulled off the Internet. That's it. They certainly have room on the disc for more, but I guess they're too lazy. With such a beatuful film transfer, a great director, and so many A-list actors, this DVD would be incredible packed full of featurettes and interviews. But alas, the viewer is resigned to wait until Tri-Star decides to release a REAL edition of this wonderful film on DVD.
on May 24, 2001
Boo, says the old woman in princess bride at the Critics. Hook is in my top five favorite movies without a doubt. The ones who don't like it, don't understand the underlying thread. Peter grows up - and forgets his childhood as the flying menace. He is even afraid of heights! It doesn't matter whether you are a spielberg fan or not, if you love interesting films that hauntingly leave a mark of childishness on your heart, then this is for you. I have watched this film more than any other movie. I seriously KNOW for a fact that since I was 11 I have viewed it over a hundred times....easily! I had a copy...then I bought it on vhs...then the other day bought it on dvd and it still hasn't lost its meaning to me. I could still watch it twice in a row and not loose an ounce of attention. Maybe it's Robin Williams perfect transition from snobby business man, to the high flying , sword chopping, pirate stomping, peter pan. Or Dustin Hoffman, who endured just as many hours in make-up as he did in Tootsie, to bring to life the ultimate clock-hating villain, who despises the "L" word. Or Bob Hoskins (Who framed Rodger Rabbit), an excellent Smee, more brain than bum-fundled. Julia Roberts had me in the state-of-crush for about 3 years. Anyway, Hook is a 5 star great movie that THE People love. Forget the critics for this one. The dvd is sharp, and sounds terrific. As far as sound, check out Smee's "Good morning neverland." I would seriously enjoy ANY extra's, because the skull and crossbones on this disc represent death to extra lover's. Two-disk anyone?
on December 23, 2003
This is poosibly the greatest film of all time. I loved it as a kid and rediscovered its greatness now, as a teenager. I am a huge fan of all things Peter Pan, and this definitely includes Hook. Everything is fantisticly done. I for one, love the Neverland aspect of the movie and find the Lost Boys (not to mention Rufio, Rufio, RU-FI-000O!!!) greatly entertaining. The review trashing the little kids in the movie is nonsense. These are kids, we're talking about. They did an excellent job and they are all extremely funny. The actors all do such a magnificent job, as well as the writers. My friends, family, and I all have inside jokes that include lines from the movie. Some classic lines:
Jack: Bad form!
Lost boy: Man stop!
and this one:
Peter:He really did lose his marbles.
Lost Boy(I forget his name -ahh): Yeah, he lost 'em good.
There are so many funny and unforgettable lines, I can't even begin to post them.
So to everyone who purchases this film, BANGARANG!!
And to those who don't, BAD FORM!
on August 31, 2001
I just don't understand why all the professional film critics have to put down HOOK. This is my favorite version of Peter Pan and Captain Hook - I find it even better than Disney's animated film, PETER PAN! It definitely is enjoyable with a cleaver script, and it's fast-paste so it doesn't drag on slowly.
This film takes place when Peter Pan (Robin Williams) is all grown up. He is now known as Peter Banning and has a wife and two kids. Peter is the kind of guy who loves his work. He tries to spend time with his family but his work keeps getting in the way. Then he and his family goes to London to visit Granny Wendy (Maggie Smith) because Peter is going to make a speech on Granny Wendy's accomplishments, which was to have a hospital for homeless orphan children built. When they get to London, Granny Wendy tells Peter that he is actually Peter Pan, even though he doesn't believe her. When Peter, his wife, and Granny Wendy are at the party, Captain Hook (Dunstin Hoffman) comes back because he learns that Peter Pan is back in London and kidnaps Peter's children, Jack and Maggie! Peter is soon met by Tinkerbell (Julia Roberts) who tells him that Captain Hook has kidnapped his kids and he must go off to Neverland to save them. When Peter gets to Neverland, it's an adventure he'll never forget - especially when he comes across the Lost Boys who've got a new leader and he has to prove to them that he is really Peter Pan so they can help save his children.
HOOK is one of the best fantasy/adventure films of all time. Some parts are very hilarious, too. I never get tired of watching this film. The whole family will enjoy it! With an all-star cast including Robin Williams, Dunstin Hoffman, Maggie Smith, Julia Roberts, and many more...how could you go wrong? Gwyenth Paltrow even makes a cameo role as young Wendy. If you haven't seen this already, then it's not to be missed! The fight sceen between Peter Pan and Captain Hook at the end is awesome, too. So don't listen to those professional film critics and buy this DVD. It's a must. A real winner and a film Disney and Steven Speilberg should be proud of!
on June 29, 2003
What if Peter Pan really did grow up? I beleive Mr. Speilburg got it right with this one. His capability is transmogrifying book to film is masterful. Although there are a few minute mistakes, such as Hook's hook suppossedly on the right rather than the left, this film invokes the soul of J.M. Barrie's magical story.

Robin Williams (Good Morning Vietnam) is a perfect choice for Peter Pan, now grown up and known as Peter Banning. Peter, whose past as a free-sprited and ageless Pan, has long forgotten Neverland. Instead his life is about stocks, cell-phones, and an ironic fear of heights. He comes home one night to find that both of his children, Jack and Maggie, have been kidnapped by none other than Captain Hook himself. Granny Wendy (Maggie Smith; Harry Potter I-II)tries hard to explain to him that only he can save his children, for he is really the great Peter Pan.
Dustin Hoffman's (Tootsie) portrayal as Captain James Hooks is remarkable. He emobodies the charecter with wonderful acting skill, right down to Hook's grace, manners, and a distorted belief of "good form". All of his pirate crew, including the lovable Mr. Smee (Bob Hoskins; Who Framed Roger Rabbit)put on a wonderful show.
I hope you enjoy following along with Peter makes as he makes his final trip to Neverland. And with the aid of Tinker Bell (Julia Roberts; Erin Brockavitch) and the Lost Boys, he must remember how to fight, how to crow, and most importantly how to fly, in order to save his own two children from the cunning and evil grasps of Capt. Jas. Hook.
on April 20, 2001
Spielberg has managed to create a wonderful film here, despite what the critics say. It's true you need to be a kid at heart to love it... but once you're into it you'll be amazed at what you find.
A brilliant set makes for a real dreamworld in Never-Neverland, the star-studded cast makes for a very lively and utterly delightful performance while the film still also contains some meaningful moments. A terrific balance.
CRITICS!
Often reviews seem to find great fault with this film while acknowledging there's something there - but what do they say is wrong?
The Never-kids apparently don't fit! Well see it for yourself, I'd like to know what they should look like?
Changing the story to some is unforgivable! There are alot of films where they change things or write a later on version (as Hook is to Peter Pan) and they are awful - total cringe films. The twist in Hook I very much appreciate however and I think it credits the original.
The acting is too plainand unlively! No way. I think here we come back to the type of film - it's a kid's movie! So change, and become like a child, then watch it... I'm sure you'll love it!