Echo Spot countdown boutiques-francophones Introducing Fire TV Stick Basic Edition WFM home Kindle Paperwhite Explore the Amazon.ca Vinyl LP Records Store sports Tools

Showing 1-10 of 37 reviews(5 star). See all 76 reviews
on September 5, 2017
I didn't realize I started in the middle of the trilogy. But this book is great as a stand alone as well. Can't wait to read the first and third books now.
on December 29, 2016
This ia simply a brilliant apocalyptic novel featuring a weak and dispicable viewpoint character ad a brilliantly realized near-future world.
on June 16, 2003
Simply put, I loved ORYX AND CRAKE! Despite Atwood's grim futuristic plot of 'science gone mad' I found it difficult to put this book down. The first person narration of Snowman (Jimmy) jumps between the present (a bleak world existing primarily of him and the Crakers) and the past (events leading up to the destruction of humanity) as the details of the plot are uncovered. I most enjoyed Atwood's fresh writing and awe-inspiring imagination. Although I am not a fan of the science fiction genre I loved reading about Snowman's interpretation of the end of society. Of course ORYX AND CRAKE contains many cautionary tales against gene splicing, corporations, and the power of the Internet (why aren't there any 'happy' books of the future?). Despite Atwood's bleak and dark vision of the future there is much to extract, as science can't eliminate human love and desire. The relationships between Crake, Jimmy, and Oryx are mysterious and convoluted and I wanted to learn more. I appreciated Atwood's ability to tell this tale without filling in all the details for the reader. Much is left to the reader's imagination and I wasn't annoyed by this at all. Without risking giving away anymore of the plot I will end this review by stating that I was left greatly satisfied by ORYX AND CRAKE. I remains a gem on my bookshelf.
on September 24, 2014
I was really sad to end the book and the trilogy. Such a fantastic piece of writing! Very refreshing, superb. Made me fall in love with Margaret Atwood once more.
on December 26, 2017
Loved it.
on April 24, 2018
thanks
on October 27, 2013
Found this book hard to put down. Atwood's new world brings up some issues that we are going to be dealing with in the future. She calls it Cli-fi, and she has some fun with the english language (anoo yoo). But can recognize trends in our time (botox, entertainment, etc.) that give one pause. Lookimng forward to "the Flood"
on April 6, 2014
Better than I thought it would be. The story is compelling and it keeps you wanting to know more until the very end. After which you'll have to read the two sequels to find out what really happens. Great distopian, post-apocalyptic read, with humor & wit woven right in.
on December 18, 2015
Loved this book. Chose this book out of a select few that we could read and write a critical book review on for my class in university, and ended up loving the book. Has that cool, Fallout, post apocalyptic feel.
on May 3, 2014
Margaret Atwood is fast becoming my most favorite author. Having first read The Flooding, I found myself identifying with the characters, and finally understanding some of the scenes from the first book. I cannot wait to read Maddadam.