Echo Spot countdown boutiques-francophones Introducing Fire 7 tablet, starting at $59.99 WFM home Kindle Paperwhite Vinyl Day sports Tools

The Debt to Pleasure
Format: Paperback|Change

Showing 1-3 of 3 reviews(3 star). See all 24 reviews
on September 5, 2001
This book both enthralled me, and gave me the chills. It was much like reading "The Silence of the Lambs" from the point of view of Hannibal. You know, "I HAD to kill the census worker, his liver just went SO WELL with fava beans and chianti."
Reading the other customer reviews, I both loved and hated the book. I could agree with points on both sides. I'm not sure whether this means that it is a truly gifted book, or that I'm really twisted....
I'm sure that I would have liked it much more if I had had a knowledge of French or French cuisine. Some of the names of dishes he mentioned in passing would probably have added to the wit of the book if I had known what they were. I can understand what a pate is, but some of the more convoluted dish names had me saying "What the heck is that?"
Well worth the time and effort to read if you can get through the dense and convoluted prose.
on January 19, 2001
Tarquin Winot is from the Hannibal school of elegant criminals, but he is far more effete and philosophical than Lecter. He's also a narcissistic snob. A bad man with refined and sophisticated tastes-- Hannibal crossed with Humbert Humbert maybe? Or better yet, Van Veen, if Van were somewhat more dehumanized. The Nabokovian affectation is obvious, but it comes across as Nabokov Lite. Still this book has its moments; despite the overly parenthetical and often obtuse prose style it is sometimes very very funny.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on July 27, 1998
Despite being about one of my most favourite subjects, Lanchester's latest work was much work indeed. I tend to consume books in bits and pieces, often leaving the story on a table for days on end before returning. Not easy with A Debt to Pleasure, as it requires constant attention. Nonetheless, John produced some good (if not wordy) writing and insight into something we all like and need - food.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse