countdown boutiques-francophones Learn more vpcflyout Furniture All-New Kindle Music Deals Store sports Tools

Format: DVD|Change

on October 19, 2003
the text is butchered worse than elsewhere. And Olivier is just not the best Hamlet. The thunder during the tobeornotobe soliloquy that accomponies "ay theres the rub" and him shouting that line(?) are just plain corny and yuck. Branaghs a much better blonde and makes this film completely obsolete and useless.
I also never like seeing that soliloquy come AFTER the fight with Ophelia, as it does here. The H+Gertrude exchange is a little sexier than most, and I like it.
on September 19, 2001
Laurence Olivier has to be said to have been and still is the person whom has best depicted the haunted prince of Denmark otherwise known as Hamlet. He richly deserved the academy award for his performance in this movie, i.e., Hamlet VHS ~ Laurence Olivier and in a way set a benchmark for other actors to meet in order to fully be accepted as interpretors and actors of Shakespearean plays.Simply put it, his performance is Awesome. Highly Recommended.
on January 5, 2002
In comparing this version to the one with Mel Gibson, I can only say that Olivier's version has a classicism that Gibson lacks. I also definitely prefer that more Elizabethan style of dress used by Olivier to the Medieval and Scandinavian costumes of Gibson. This film is a class of it's own, which I think is only accentuated by the "black-and-white-ness."
on September 9, 2000
This is, no doubt, the greatest adaptation of Hamlet! Olivier was a master in bringing Shakespeare's works to the screen and his acting is unsurpassed! Watch Henry V and Richard III to see what a genius Olivier was when it came to Shakespeare!
on November 3, 2014
I appreciated very much the Criterion version of this masterpiece as well as the subtitles to help us understand the language of Shakespeare.
on August 14, 2014
Lawrence Olivier's rendition of the imfamous Dane is quite good, I enjoyed the movie very much!
on February 16, 2011
Unfortunately, I can't view this DVD: it's in the wrong format, even though I am almost sure I checked this before I bought it. I would suggest that every effort possible be made to signal when a DVD is viewable in North America, or elsewhere.