countdown boutiques-francophones Beauty Furniture Kindle sports Tools

Format: Hardcover|Change

on March 20, 2016
Exactly what I was hoping it would be.
on January 6, 2016
I own all the Essential Amazing Spider-man editions, and thought I would upgrade some of them to colour, as well as insert Epic volumes into other incomplete Essential titles in my collection. Sure, colour is not really needed, a lot of the artwork is better viewed in black & white, *and* the Epics are almost double the cost... but what the heck.

Of course when I received it, I realized that Marvel had screwed up again (probably on purpose - $$$) and totally changed the issues included in each volume. I guess double the price wasn't enough, so they had to cut out 3 issues (1-17 instead of 1-20 in the Essentials), to make even more profit, thus making it impossible for anyone to upgrade, or add, colour Epics to any of their Essentials collections. So you either a) play Marvel's greedy game and toss all your existing Essentials in the garbage and rebuy the *entire* Epic line (and this is assuming they even produce them all before switching gears, yet again) or b) scout around for cheap used/remainder copies to fill your Essential B&W collection - I am picking the latter option.
on May 4, 2015
Not a good first read. Hard concept of death to explain to a 3 year old. We don't read it. I make up other stories with the pictures.
22 Comments|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 5, 2015
Some of my favorite classic stories and villains! Pure nostalgia, don't hesitate!
on November 15, 2014
A1
on June 8, 2014
No kidding. I'm really enjoying reading the start of Spider-Man. Its exactly what I wanted, I can't wait to read through it all
on January 27, 2014
Dont expect too much when buying this one in terms of story complexity & advanced artwork. Stories on this one are rather simplistic and the artwork is just okay. You will be getting this as a spidey fan, for whom this is a definite must have.
on January 12, 2014
This is the only way to truly get into the amazing Spider-Man without missing any issue whatsoever. A must have for true spidy collectors and fans.
on November 22, 2013
I read The Amazing Spider-Man Omnibus - Volume 2 before I read vol 1. I loved vol 2 for the stories, and the amazing Romita art. Much to collectors delight Marvel made the very smart decision to reprint vol 1 ( YAY ).

I always love the 2nd arc to any story more than the original. IE The Empire Strikes Back, The Two Towers, The Godfather part II, and the list can go on. Comics to me are no different. The Lee/Romita era of Spidey is my favorite and I don't think that will ever change. However the Lee/Ditko era of Spiderman will probably always be listed as the best by most readers. These stories like many origins, and starting points take a little while to get your full attention. The early issues were trying to find a voice, and like everything they do not always work as well at the beginning. However once that voice is found your patience will be rewarded with what can easily be considered the best run in comics. By the time you are 25% into this book you will be fully invested into Peter's personal life (I always thought of Gwen Stacy as Peter's 1st love, I was wrong). The stories just get stronger and stronger from there until you get to one of the best story arcs in all comicdom "If This be my Destiny." (issues 31-33).

I love Marvels Omnibus line, and I always preorder the volumes I know I want. They are a fantastic way to read a nice long run of a favorite character, or writer/artist. As many of the 2013 Omnibus reviews have stated Marvels new printings are noticably different from their pre 2013 printings. Differences are , thinner paper ( not a bad thing ), a different cover ( lighter and a different material ). Up unitl this vol I really have had no real issues with this change. I always prefered the old printing. I love a quality print job and for years Marvels Omnibus were one of the best. The little issues I have with this vol are not enough to take away any stars, but I still think a buyer should consider them. This book is 1100 pages and is still quite big. I find that once I was finished the book had a little curve to it ( eventhough I read it on a lap desk , and the pages towards the end also did not look as neat and pristine as they did originally. Sure once I read a book it should not look mint anymore, but this was not always the case with Marvel Omnibus. Not a huge deal, but something worth mentioning I think.

This VOL more than deserves your money and attention, but be warned once you start reading early spiderman you will have no choice but to continue with the next vol.
on January 22, 2013
The reason I stayed away from reading Spider-man as long as I did was the belief that I did not want to get caught up in all that history I knew very little about. I think most newer comic fans would feel the same. Proof of this opinion can be found in the creation of Ultimate Spider-man. As it turns out the reason I stayed away from this is also the best reason to jump in.

As far as I can tell from the very begining Marvel has done a fantastic job keeping the continuity of Peter Parker on the straight and narrow. You can trace Spider-man's history back to Amazing Fantasy and never stop reading essentially one giant story arc of the life of Peter Parker. I know, some of you say you can do that with lots of comic characters, but if you think about it, can you really say the personal life of Superman, Green Lantern, Captain America, Batman have all stayed consistent in the way Spider-man's has? I really don't think so.

This wonderful omnibus captures some of Spider-man's earliest battles with some characters that we have come to know and hate/love depending on the character in question. The 1st apperance of Rhino, Kingpin, Shocker, and of course let's not forget MJ. This is where it all started, and to read these wonderful ( simple ) stories is an experience I will not soon forget. Another reason I hesitated reading this for so long is Stan Lee. I know all old school comic guys love this dude, but as far as I could tell he wrote in a time when Daddy-O, Groovy, and Pussycat were used in everyday jargon. It's hard to take stories seriously when this is what you are reading. Wrong again, while Stan does use dated slang (A lot) for some reason I bought in, and I am loving it. I am about 3/4 away through this book and I am only mildly ashamed to say I love MJ, and Gwen equally and I only want to read Spider-man comics from now on.

Now on to the art. Todd Mcfarlane said " When you close youre eyes and think about Spider-man; It's John Romita's Spider-man you see.". This is FACT. I will even go as far as saying the same about MJ, Gwen, Rhino, Aunt May, Peter, Harry, Green Goblin, The Lizard, JJ, Betty Brant, and I could probably list every single ASM character that was around in Romita's time. The art is brilliant, so much so that 2 weeks after I bought this I found the artist edition of his Spider-man run. Google it if you want to see it (IDW ARTIST ED JOHN ROMITA'S AMZING SPIDER-MAN). It is unbelievably amazing.

-------Don't hesitate, buy this book before it is out of print like vol 1.------- I do not have vol 1, so if you have an extra one lying around I'd love to buy it from you........