countdown boutiques-francophones Luxury Beauty home Kindle Explore the Amazon.ca Vinyl LP Records Store sports Tools

on July 4, 2004
You should read, at least, a book or two about biographies of such noble people as Nelson Mandela, whose lives have been a blessing to the world. This was a great inspirational book and helped me to realize how simple and small things in life could bring so much joy into one's life. Far too often, I personally take simple pleasures of life for granted. The freedom is not free and the book cites how the freedom is brought at the expense of sacrifices of our fathers. The book is very well written and what impresses me is Nelson Mandela's mastery of English language.
on May 29, 2003
Long Walk to Freedom is an experience to be remembered. Although the book is an autobiography, the details are exquisite. It is apparent that Mandela wrote this book not to boast over a life of fame or fortune, but to guide us through a lifetime struggle filled of humiliation and pride, success and defeat. Throughout Mandela's journey, we learn insight into Mandela's thoughts, and the long walk he took to overcome the odds. Although his struggle was not easy, Mandela never quit, and for that he is a man to be commended by millions. Perhaps, Mandela wrote this book to teach us all a lesson in the true merit of human heart, "No one is born hating another person because of the color of their skin, or his background, or his religion. People must learn to hate, and if they can learn to hate, they can be taught to love, for love comes more naturally to the human heart than its opposite." (622) Though the book is long, and at times tedious, it is filled with a variety of storylines that keeps the reader intrigued. Between the fight to keep his family alive and well, Mandela also battles the South African government, other political organizations, oppressors of freedom, and the South African court of law. In doing this, Mandela shows how a man's life is not only a complex event, but also a road with many paths. He also shows us how one man's paths can cross and change the course of history, and the oppression of a nation. This book is bound to keep readers captivated, as it involves more than one element of Mandela's life. No matter your name, your age, or the color of your skin, Long Walk to Freedom by Nelson Mandela is a book that will guide you through a struggle that we all are fighting for; the struggle against discrimination.
on January 20, 2012
This book was incredibly inspiring. It is the kind of book that you never want to put down. I would recommend this book to anyone and everyone, because I think each one of us can learn something from Nelson Mandela's thought provoking life story. Happy reading!
on March 25, 2014
My wife bought this book for me from Amazon. Sadly, this hardcover version is an ABRIDGED version of Nelson Mandela's wonderful book. From comparison with our local library's complete version, it appears as though it was abridged by a South African Boer as most of the descriptive passages detailing the shameful treatment of Africans in South Africa did not find their way into this particular hardcover edition. If you believe in revisionist history, especially from a white South African perspective, then this is the edition for you. If you are looking for the truth you will have to look elsewhere for a complete copy of Mr. Mandela's autobiography.
on September 13, 2015
I read this book more because I wanted to see what the life of Nelson Mandela was like. The first part of the book I found very boring as it was about his childhood and not about his ability to get people moving to get rid of Apartheid.

I enjoyed reading about his abilities later on including when he was in jail. What I found shocking was more that he was promoting violence when I always thought he was the peaceful man. That wasn't the case and it really opened my eyes to see just what he was like,

Great read and had a lot of benefits for reading it.
on December 10, 2016
I was very fortunate to read The Long Walk to Freedom while travelling through South Africa for the first time. It is the modern history of South Africa and the effects of Mandela are everywhere! Every evolved person should read this book!
on June 26, 2014
I decided to get this book because he died recently and I wanted to know more about the person who went to prison for 27 years.
I'm also into history and he has contributed a lot to history itself.

I love this book because I couldn't put it down. It was inspiring and taught me a lot not only about him but about the history of South Africa and surprisingly my self. When you read biographies of people you admire, you tend to reflect on yourself and what you can do to become a more successful person in your life.

The few things I didn't like about the book is the format and a pronunciation guide. Its a thick book but if they put like the Steve Jobs biography, it would be easier to walk around with. I would have liked to have a pronunciation guide simply because when I read, I like to put myself in the book and in this book I didn't know how to pronounce a lot of names.

I also learned that a lot of things that I learned in school were wrong such as he went to prison for 26 or 28 years and that he was a pacifist. There's a difference between being a pacifist and being non-violent. Read the book because I recommend it to anyone who wants to learn about this difference, South Africa and the man himself.
on December 5, 2013
The story of a great icon told in a very natural voice, spelling out his simple life growing up, the values that gave him the formidable foundation upon which he built his legacy of taking a nation from the brink of disaster to the road of hope and a future where humanity is the number one value. Mandela symbolised the soul of Africa, the tenacity of its people and the forgiving nature of their hearts. Only in the case of Josef Njike in the book Disciples of Fortune have I read of an African hero portrayed in such a human light. We come out from reading this book not only more enlightened, but also reinvigorated and even more joyful. "Kuaga, Mandela", Africa's greatest hero and enlightener, unblemished by power to the point of giving it up after having it for only four years.
on June 2, 2003
Long Walk to Freedom is the autobiography of Nelson Mandela, one of the greatest leaders of South Africa. It gives a detailed account of his childhood, youth, and adulthood. It takes you through his years in college and his work as a lawyer as well as all of his political struggles with apartheid including his years in jail.
The book is extremely well written and gives the detail that only someone who witnessed the events could posses. Mandela's hindsight as he reviews the events of his life shows a more personal side to him. I liked the book but anyone who is considering reading it should be reminded that it is an autobiography so it does have a bias. He wrote the book as someone who had been wronged. Long Walk To Freedom provides an interesting and detailed account of the South Africans struggle with apartheid. It details Nelson's joining of the ANC (African National Congress) his rise in the ANC, and his creation of the MK. It also gives facts about his personal life and the life of his family. It is recommended to anyone who enjoys autobiographies or to anyone who is looking to learn more about the history of apartheid and South Africa.
on June 1, 2003
Nelson Mandela was a legend. Putting his life in an autobiography doesn't even do justice to it. However, it is a very well written book and shows Nelson Mandela's high level of intelligence distinctly. The events of this man's life, portrayed in vivid detail in his book, have rocked the foundation of the entire world. No piece of literature recaps such an influential life as Mandela's with such accuracy and powerful detail as A Long Walk to Freedom. The book may seem extraordinarily long and boring at first and resemble nothing more than another political biography, but this book is unlike any other book of its kind. Straight from the beginning, Mandela describes his mostly uneventful childhood in a surprisingly interesting fashion, which is a great quality for snaring new readers. The vivid retelling of many insane events as Mandela approached the climax of his political career is the trademark of his skilled writing, and brought on a flow of renewed interest before one could suspect the plot was dead. The inclusion of countless crimes against humanity in the book, are the masterpiece behind its immensely famous influential power. The description of these events allowed me to see on the same level as Mandela and gradually understand why he was permanently devoted to the struggle. Nelson Mandela had no problem asserting the importance of his beliefs and justifying on a human level why his feelings and actions were pointed in the right direction. This book asserts that the highest importance in life is freedom, and from reading about the many woes of the oppressed South Africans, one can see that this book makes an effort to show that the opposite of freedom will always be unethical mayhem. This book should be read by anyone who understands it and wants to read it; I guarantee it will influence your views in some way and really have you thinking.