Echo Spot countdown boutiques-francophones Introducing Fire TV Stick Basic Edition WFM Furniture Kindle Paperwhite Explore the Amazon.ca Vinyl LP Records Store sports Tools

on August 2, 2017
Really enjoyed finally reading this book. It was different enough from the movie to keep me intrigued while still having that familiar narrative tone of Bridget that I know and love. While I did find her obsession with her weight to be a little over constant and occasionally found certain comments a bit crude, the honest nature of the diary aspect was pretty spot on and made it easy to relate to Bridget on some level. I also enjoyed all the parallels to Pride and Prejudice without it being a direct retelling.
on August 16, 2014
"Bridget Jones's Diary" comes at you like a torrent of fresh air. I guarantee you will fall in love with the heroine who graduates from one hilarious situation to the next because, at the end of the day, she makes the choices we'd all make faced with incomplete knowledge in similar circumstances. Of course, a manic mother, a sex-crazed boss and a dubious set of friends add spice to the mix. Read the book before you see the movie.
on August 19, 2015
Everything was great, except the book itself is really silly. I couldn't read anything past the first couple of pages as it's written in a diary format, which I did not like.
on February 16, 2014
Loved this story, I think most adult women can relate to Bridget on some level. I really liked how she connected to the reader by sharing her thoughts.
The one thing I would change is the daily health assessment. I got tired of that after a few chapters.
on April 6, 2016
This book is hilarious, I enjoyed from the First page. The best part of the book is right at the end.
on March 8, 2017
Had to read for book club and did not enjoy this novel.
on April 2, 2014
For those of you who have been hiding under a rock for the last 20 years and haven’t read the book or seen the movie, Bridget Jones’s Diary is the story of a single woman in her thirties in London, England. This is a hilarious book about failed relationships and unsuccessful attempts at losing weight. It is also a sharp critique of modern society where women have to have a husband, children, a house in the suburbs and a fulfilling job to be considered a success. While the story feels a bit dated (no cell phones!), the issues are still very much what a single woman would experience nowadays. In addition, Bridget Jones is a lovable character because she is not perfect, and she makes mistakes. As a result, we identify with her and understand her struggles.

Bridget Jones’s Diary has paved the way for many romantic comedies and TV series (Sex and the City anyone?), and I am really grateful for the laughs and tears it has brought on.

Please go to my blog, Cecile Sune - Bookobsessed, if you would like to read more reviews or discover fun facts about books and authors.
on June 15, 2006
This delightful book, written in diary form, follows a hectic and very funny year in the life of Ms Bridget Jones, 30-something English Singleton. Bridget obsesses constantly about her weight and unmarried state, and as the year begins, she also obsesses about her playboy boss, Daniel Cleaver. They flirt madly and have an on-again, off-again relationship, but he is a commitment-phobe (and a bounder!).

All through the year, Bridget's flighty mother, Pam, tries to pair her up with successful barrister, Mark Darcy, but Bridget will have none of it. As the year comes to a close, however, Pam's legal woes bring Mark to the rescue, and the diary ends on a happy note.

Every page is filled with situations and emotions that all women who have dated, dreamed, been disappointed, and found solace in ice cream will find utterly hilarious. Bridget's descriptions of daily exasperation, desperation, and moments of sheer bliss make her very likeable and real. The short diary entries make this book perfect for reading when you just have a few minutes, although you'll find it hard to put down, and may find yourself laughing out loud (a lot).
on November 19, 2001
I didn't find this book "hilarious" and I didn't "split a gut laughing", but I got quite a few smiles and even more chuckles out of it. Just about every page had something cute or witty on it, which I found really enjoyable. I could definitely relate to Bridget & her eternal quests for happiness and a botfriend. Since there are so many reviews on this book explaining what it is about, I thought I'd write a few of my favorite lines from the book:
"I realize it has become too easy to find a diet to fit in with whatever you happen to feel like eating and that diets are not there to be picked and mixed but picked and stuck to, which is exactly what I shall begin to do once I've eaten this chocolate croissant."
"Maybe Dad will appear hanging upside down outside the window dressed as a Morris dancer, crash in and start hitting Mum over the head with a sheep's bladder; or suddenly fall facedown out of the airing cupboard with a plastic knife stuck in his back. The only thing which can possibly get everything back on course is a Bloody Mary. It's nearly afternoon after all."
"...just had cigarette, but no-smoking day does not start officially until I have gotten dressed."
"...so all I've got to do is find someone or something to have power over and then...oh G*d, I haven't even got power over my own hair."
"Twenty-two hours, four pizzas, one Indian takeaway, three packets of cigarettes and three bottles of champagne later, Daniel is still here. I am in love. I am also now between one and all of the following...a) back on thirty a day...b) engaged ... c) stupid... d) pregnant."
Some of these quotes were taken out of context, but I still thought they were cute. All in all, this is a very entertaining book, well worth the read...and it's a quick read, too, and makes for a fun weekend escape from reality.
on December 9, 2001
Bridget Jones is hapless, pathetic, sad, lonely, funny, endearing and very believable. Her rambling journal entries depict a young woman obsessed with her weight and alcohol consumption and cigarette habit. Her diary each day begins with her weight, and includes references to how many units of alcohol she consumed the prior day, plus caloric intake and cigarettes. When she's happy all of the above are declining, when she's not, the opposite occurs. Even her family life is falling apart, because her Mum has left her Dad and is seeing someone else, and her Dad is miserable and crying on her shoulder incessantly.
Bridget is a publisher's assistant in a London publishing house, and begins an affair with her boss, Daniel Cleaver. But he's a scoundrel and only seems to be interested in her when he wants sex, and the rest of the time, forgets about her. She keeps hoping that the relationship will turn into something else. She eventually discovers that he's seeing someone else, and is devastated by the failure of yet another relationship. Her family is always asking her why she's not married yet, and it seems that everyone in the world is part of a couple except her.
Her family keeps trying to set her up with Mark Darcy, a divorced successful, boring barrister, but sparks fly whenever she meets him and they don't seem to have anything in common.
She decides to change careers in order to get away from Daniel, and to take control of her life. She becomes a tv reporter for an independent cable station, but isn't particularly successful at that either. Mark Darcy gives her an exclusive interview after a highly publicized trial, and she achieves instant recognition and respect in her field.
Her attempts at self-improvement (feng shui, gourmet cooking, exercising, etc.) are hilarious and short-lived. Her friends are all equally frustrated and misdirected. In spite of her many flaws, she will eventually find someone who loves her just the way she is. If she had known that all along, maybe she wouldn't have tormented herself in the pursuit of perfection.