Echo Spot countdown boutiques-francophones Introducing Fire TV Stick Basic Edition WFM Furniture Kindle Paperwhite Explore the Amazon.ca Vinyl LP Records Store sports Tools

Showing 1-9 of 9 reviews(5 star). See all 30 reviews
on December 14, 2009
What can I say but that I absolutely loved this book. Everything about it just got me so wrapped up in Theo's Indigo Tea Shop and the mystery itself was intriguing in its' own little way I had to read this from cover to cover. Everything about it was just so "cozy". I loved the different descriptions about tea, and being a tea lover myself am now in the look out for new teas to try. Aside from the wonderful tea descriptions and the desserts that went along with it, the mystery was a fun read. Nothing too flashy and sensational. However there were proper moments of suspense and intrigue which kept the reader going and more engrossed to keep reading some more.

I loved the characters in the book. The suspects were believable and each had a motive for murder. I liked Theo and her staff at the tea shop who supported her through her investigation. They were all likable characters (although I found Drayton to be a particular favorite as he was the actual tea connoisseur). As for the real murderer and the solving of the case, I thought I had guessed correctly but I was blindsided and it wasn't who I expected it to be. There were a couple of questions I would like to have answered but I figured they would wait until the next book or two to see what would happen to certain characters I'm curious about. Plot flow was good and interesting. Nothing distracting to take away from the main theme. Theo is a great strong character and her determination to solve this case and save the reputation of her business and friend makes her even more likeable and noble.

Overall a wonderful mystery cozy! this will definitely be a series I will continue reading. I recommend this for cozy mystery lovers and tea aficionados alike.
on March 17, 2004
I really enjoyed DEATH BY DARJEELING by Laura Childs. It is the first of four "tea mystery" series that is set in Charleston.
In this first novel, apparently there are a few facts about Charleston and tea that were not prestinely correct. I didn't notice them and I am sure that Laura Childs has an excellent research team in place now. The point is that her book made me want to go to Charleston and made me quite interested in learning more about teas!
Her characters are great and the plots are very in depth. I hope that more readers will give this series a chance - I really enjoyed it.
on September 4, 2001
Theodosia Browning, owner of the charming little Indigo Tea Shop in Charleston, SC is enjoying the resurgence and newly-found popularity of the world of tea...Needless to say, there has to be a murder to muck up things for Theodosia and friends in the quaint Antebellum city...
When a guest on Charleston's famous Lamplighter tour is suddenly found dead clutching one of the Indigo Tea Shop's teacups, all eyes turn suspiciously to Theo and her cast of employees and friends at the small shop.
Theo gets more than she bargained for when she tries to find the identity of the killer, and as she gets closer, the threats start rolling in, endangering herself and her nearest and dearest.
'Death by Darjeeling' is the first in a (hopefully) series of mysteries, and I must say, it was a pleasant surprise!
Though you've probably all heard this sort of cozy plot before in numerous other settings, this one happens to be a real find!
The wonderful history of Charleston comes alive through Ms. Childs endearing narration and you definitely get a sense that the author loves and cherishes her city very much and is quite proud of it's interesting past.
Not to mention all the added information about tea, types of tea, tea growing, etc. Alright, this might not peak everyone's interest, but if you're at least a tea-drinker with a penchant for a nice, Southern mystery with some fun characters and laughs thrown in, it's definitely worth a shot!
Let's hope Ms. Childs has installment #2 on the way!
on August 7, 2001
and then sit back and enjoy this visit to Charleston and surrounding area. I like Theo and her staff and traveling the streets in her red (did you have to get red?!) Jeep. The environmentalists/preservationists versus developers plot was just meaty enough, with the side visits for relaxing or energizing or refreshing teas with scrumptuous munchings, or a gossipy chat with a neighboring boutique owner took me to a wonderful atmosphere with some really great people.
on June 23, 2003
A delightful book with interesting characters. I loved the historical information on Charleston which the author captures and paints vividly for the reader. The characters are real, my favorite is Earl Grey, the dog. The book is also infused with tea information that will please the avid tea drinker and inform a novice tea drinker. This book would be a perfect read on a rainy or cold day, curled up with a cup of tea of course! I look forward to reading the rest of the books in the Tea Shop series.
on February 23, 2002
i thought this book was enjoyable and did not want to put it down. the tea shop was so cozy and i could almost smell the aromas of tea described by the author! the characters seemed very real and had a bond that i wish i had in my workplace. at times, though, bethany's reactions to theodosia's questions were unrealistic. but all in all, a delightful, easy read!
on March 21, 2002
I loved the characters and hope there are more books by Lauara Childs soon!
on May 14, 2001
Death by Darjeeling caught my eye because of the Charleston locale, but it was only a matter of pages before I was swept up by the imaginative plot, quirky characters and loads of tea lore. If you haven't had the good fortune to tromp the cobblestone pathways that wind through Charleston's historic district, this book will transport you - and deliver a terrific mystery at the same time!
on October 20, 2001
What a wonderfully warm and entertaining book! I thoroughly enjoyed Death by Darjeeling and hope to get the next Tea Shop mystery (Gunpowder Green) soon. It's a great book to curl up with a cup of tea on a cold dreary day. A feel good read!