Echo Spot countdown boutiques-francophones Introducing Fire 7 tablet, starting at $59.99 WFM Furniture Kindle Paperwhite Explore the Amazon.ca Vinyl LP Records Store sports Tools

Showing 1-10 of 10 reviews(2 star). See all 162 reviews
on May 27, 2002
David Lynch is a very unconventional storyteller. There is nothing wrong with that, but one must at least make sense of the story. In 'Blue Velvet', Lynch explores the sexual underworld of a clean-cut suburban town. A young man finds some suspicious things happening in an apartment complex. What he finds out is quite distrubing; Dennis Hopper has a fetish for blue velvet and performes some bizzare sex acts. It was interesting, but the story is ruined by Hopper using the f-word for every other word. The young man falls in love with the victim of Hopper's sex acts. Other than that the story is not very interesting. The characters are more like robots and once again there are scenes that are obviously stolen from Alfred Hitchcock, specifically 'Vertigo'.
on May 30, 2003
I love hoppers role in this movie, he is evil and twisted enough, but that's about as far as the good goes on this movie. ..... I think the movie began aggravating me around the point when the sang the blue velvet song for the 20th time in the film (the whole thing) bunch of time killing if you ask me, as sign of a bad movie!! The character of hopper is enough to keep you watching this, and waiting to see what will happen next, but that's about is far as it goes, boring movie, stupid movie - because anyone else in this ladies situation would have done something to get out of the situation. Verdict: if you like hearing Blue Velvet 20 million times, get this!
on January 21, 2004
To make a long story short-this movie is not a masterpiece, calling it that would be laughable.This is a mediocre film at best.There is nothing shocking or controversial or boundary breaking about it, as has been said.Truth to be told the film starts out intriguingly and you're actually thinking this is going to be a great movie, it is a little strange, but nevertheless convincing and even fascinating.This keeps up for about ten minutes, and then the film becomes a typical mystery with nothing new to offer.IN fact,only thanks to Dennis Hopper's convincing role as drug-addicted maniac Frank Booth, did I keep watching this.None of the other performances were convincing,and Isabella Rossellini was just pathetically laughable,her portrayl was completely overblown, and overacted.I know I'm going to get about 30 negative votes for this, but I could care less.One of the most unjustly overrated films of all time.Not to mention the ending was like something out of a Lifetime movie,yes that predictable and unnafecting.And I guess,if you're really bored one Saturday night you could rent this movie for mild distraction.That's all I got from it.See Mulholland DR. instead
on June 22, 2001
Beautifully filmed, but utterly stupid in its meandering and dumb plot. I'd love to smack Kyle MacLachlan's character over the head about fifty times with a rubber mallet. He may well be the single most stupid and naive dolt in all of cinema and I'm not sure that Lynch meant to make him quite that stupid.
Movie tries to be cool and creepy and weird ("Hey, small towns have strange people in them, too!") Whoopee-stinkin'-doo, I say.
I had an acquaintance who used to say "I hate weirdness that exists for weirdness' sake only." Now I know what he meant. Pass.
on September 3, 2000
Blue Velvet would be an interesting movie if it wasn't so confusing. As I watched it, I couldn't figure out what was going on. The whole plot itself was a little weak, but the performances of Isabella Rossellini, Dennis Hopper, and Laura Dern were great. Maybe it's just one of those movies that you either love or you hate.
on July 19, 2004
Weird, dully acted, occasionally gross and sometimes unintentionally funny. Lynch desperately wants to have his cake and eat it too by being so uncool that he's cool. Lynch cannot just tell, he has to show. All the time. Like the weird kid in 3rd grade who always brought something unsettling to show-and-tell and the kids told their parents and the parents complained and the teacher had to talk to his parents about his not bringing anything else. The weirdos Lynch populates his underworld with are hilariously overacted by actors who obviously don't know what the heck is going on and probably think Lynch is full of it. Dennis Hopper is hysterical. He basically didn't change his act a bit from Apocalypse Now and, of course, the critics and fans raved about how "brilliant" ansd "electrifying" his performance was. After Blue Velvet, I imagine Hopper got down on his knees every night and thanked God for giving most people short memories and short attention spans.
on August 15, 2000
Dennis Hopper is a Great actor, Kyle McLachlan is better than average. But why they would agree to be in this weird, confusing movie is beyond me. Why does Kyle sleep with Rosselini when he already has a girlfriend? And when he knows he could be killed at her house if Frank shows up? Yes, this was the weirdest movie I have ever seen, weirder than Existenz or a Clockwork Orange. I didn't think the plot was very developed, I though the motivation for the characters' action went mostly unexplained, and I did not understand why so many people love this movie...But if you do love it, good for you - at least Lynch has made some people happy. I am just voicing my opinion, not putting down anyone who loves this film. Like some have said, this film is not for everyone. I give it 2 stars (instead of 1) because it was original, even though I didn't like it, and Dennis Hopper was convincing as the villain.
on May 22, 2002
I like Lynch. Dune-good. Wild At Heart-good. Twin Peaks-good. Mullholland Dr.-great. Blue Velvet-BAD. Now most Lynch fans would hate me. They would say i dont know what i'm talking about. Well i dont know why but i almost couldnt finish this film. It was just awful. It was werid and some parts were interesting but in the whole there are other lynch films i would rather watch. I think Mullholland Dr. is his best picture. It requries many viewings in order to figure it out so i would suggest gettin that instead. I do think that this movie is definatley worth a watch. I just think it was one of lynch's poorer films.
on July 8, 2002
I won't say anything more on the movie. it's a "love it or hate it" kind of movie. But I have to point out the very poor transfer. It's full of digital artifacts and my dvd player confirms this by showing a transfer rate that is an average of 4-4.5 and drops very often under 2.5. this is really poor and unacceptable from a "Special edition" version. I guess they had to use such a high compression to fit all the extra material. but I'd rather watch a good quality dvd than some dull extras.
on July 2, 2004
I saw Mulholland Dr, Dune, and Eraserhead, and I was like "wow, David Lynch is a pretty crazy dude, I'll see Blue Velvet since everybody seems to call it his masterpiece." Well, I found it to be much less than that.
One of the most common descriptions is "deeply disturbing." Which part?? The only character that was remotely disturbing was Dennis Hopper, but that was it. "The dark underworld of midwestern suburbia". Oh yeah? He sure does get into the "dark underworld". Jeffrey gets driven in a car and punched in the face. Big deal.
The previous Lynch movies I saw really made you think. Trying to understand his movie plots in a logical fashion is futile, you have to think abstract. Well, not with this one. This movie just has a cliched murder/mystery plot with...a happy ending? What is this? This is not the Lynch I enjoy.
If you want a murder/mystery movie that really makes you think, see Mulholland Dr. That movie is incredible.