countdown boutiques-francophones Eco Friendly Cleaning and Care Furniture Kindle Explore the Amazon.ca Vinyl LP Records Store sports Tools

Showing 1-8 of 8 reviews(4 star). See all 40 reviews
There was a car crash, and Don Piper died. This story is an autobiography about his recollections and evidence of what happened to him before and after his death… In his OWN words. That’s right, after 90 minutes of being dead, he came back to life!

He says that he was in Heaven, standing at the gates, surrounded by friends, loved ones and those who had influenced his coming to Christ, who had already passed away. He had an immeasurable sense of peace, joy and happiness as he approached the radiant gates to Heaven. . . but he never made it in, he returned to Earth to an immense amount of pain, multiple surgeries and a very long recovery. What he also found, along the way, was that sharing his message, and his experiences have brought, peace, happiness, hope, relief and many other positive impacts to everyone he’s encountered. That, he feels, is why he was brought back to Earth. Innumerable prayers were answers, miracles occurred – which defy logic or scientific understanding for Don to be present and tell his story.

As a child, Don had a love of movies from Gone with the Wind to Schindler’s List, and now his entire life will be brought to life on the big screen, including the dramatic events which lead to his death, and coming back to life! This book is currently available in 46 different languages and have sold over 6 million copies! On November 11, 2015 this story hit the big screens.

One thing that really impressed me in the personal update included in the preface is that he is not sharing his message with only one type or denomination. He states that “there will be no denominations in heaven…[there] nothing divides us.” He personally vowed to never discriminate in response to a speaking invitation.

Also, he’s used the money he’s received not for himself, but for others, donating books to schools, prisons, the military and support groups; he’s helped after disasters such at the Virginia Tech shooting, horrific tornadoes like the one in Louisiana (Isaac), as well as other catastrophes and crises in the world. He’s also helped with fundraisers, children and adults who were handicapped, and the list just goes on.

The only downside to the book itself, in the beginning, is that I found it to be very repetitive, especially as he attempts to explain his Heavenly experience. I feel that this is because he struggled with how to put this into words. Once the story progresses however, there were many interesting details from his experiences, and those he has come into contact with. One thing to note, is that there is a few passages with details that would not be suitable for children, such as when he explains his injuries, which were many.

I was sent a hard copy version of this book in exchange for my honest opinion. I removed one star only because I found it a little slow and repetitive at the beginning, but I did very much enjoy reading this novel, and cannot wait to see this on the big screen!
review image
on July 9, 2014
When this book was first published ten years ago, I heard a bit of the buzz but did not have a chance to read it. To be honest, I was sceptical. Too many charlatans had told too many stories about near-death or after-death experiences, and I didn’t feel the need to read another.
But when offered the chance to read and review this tenth anniversary edition, I agreed out of curiosity. The tone of the book surprised me. It has the ring of truth. Don Piper does not sugar-coat his experiences in any way. In fact, as he writes about his long, arduous recovery, he is painfully honest about his depression and frustration.
His message is one of supreme hope: Heaven is real, and through Jesus Christ, we can know we’re going there. I love that!
What I didn’t love was the new forward and what I felt were excessive stories from others. I wish both had been edited. Pick four or five stories about people impacted by Don’s experience, and choose a few statistics about his ministry in the last decade. The book itself was great; the extras had me skimming. For those reasons, I give this edition four stars.
on January 30, 2012
I appreciated Don's sharing of his experience and the way in which he allows his story to tell itself. He has given something that can only have an ongoing strengthening and enriching effect on all who read it.
on February 4, 2012
This story is very interesting. You will have to listen to it 2 times to get everything. In my opinion worth the time and money.
on August 10, 2016
I enjoyed Piper's connection of his experience to scripture to what God revealed to him at various points in his journey. As a chronic pain suffer, this book touched my heart.
on June 10, 2014
Very good, well written. I thought that the author was believable and authentic. I would recommend this well written book.
on December 27, 2015
An interesting read.
on July 13, 2005
A well written book by a man who had to overcome terrible injuries as a result of a head on crash with an eighteen wheeler truck. He subsequently went on to use his chronic disabilites as a way of reaching out to others with similar problems and being able to help them.
A few readers might be put off by the occasional "bible thumping" worldviews of the author, and as for whether he really went to heaven or not when he was "dead", well I guess that depends on your metaphysics.