Echo Dot countdown boutiques-francophones Introducing Fire 7 tablet, starting at $59.99 WFM Furniture Kindle Paperwhite Explore the Amazon.ca Vinyl LP Records Store sports Tools

on May 24, 2017
I like all Anne Perry books and have read a number of them. My problem now is to remember which ones I have read.
on May 23, 2017
A very good read.
on January 3, 2001
I have been reading Anne Perry's books since college. I especially like her series with William Monk, Hester Latterly and Oliver Rathbone. I must say, however, that The Twisted Root needed to be more tightly edited. The ending of the book seemed very loosely pulled together; it probably needed at least two to three more pages of explication to round out the last of the twists and turns presented at the very end of the book. Ms. Perry developed characters who seemed strangely isolated from the context of their work or lives. More questions than answers were raised for me. Didn't Sgt. Robb have any superiors to answer to on his first murder case, which just happened to involve a wealthy family? Why didn't we see Dr. Beck again after his assistance to Hester? Weren't any of the other nurses at the hospital worthy of Hester's attentions? I also thought some of her descriptions were redundant - of John Robb, Hester's concerns about old, abandonned soldiers. Strangely, even for a Victorian couple, the warmth between the now-married-to-each-other Monk and Hester seemed more that of good friends than a couple in love. I do look forward to the next Monk/Latterly story, but with caution.
on September 26, 2000
The Twisted Root Anne Perry's first William Monk book after his marriage to Hester Latterly the nurse who worked in the battlefields of Crimea, explores new tensions between the leading characters. While there are not the battles between them that there were in previous novels, there still is plenty of tension. somehow they are both more vulnerable and softer now that they are a matched set.
Book is loaded with the intersting characters as in previous novels. Some you hope to see again as Cleo, and the police sergeant Robb.
Perry's mystery is not as engaging as her characters and her settings. Hospital scenes are fabulous, as are the courtroom scenes. While her mystery may be easy to solve, I would read her Monk books for the character and historical insight she provides.
on October 31, 1999
Having read many of Anne Perry's books, especially in the Monk series, I am used to her morbid outlook on life. However, her obsession with extremely dark and perverted people is getting to be a little much. To Perry's credit, she handles William's and Hester's relationship very nicely in "The Twisted Root". She also effectively describes Rathbone's discomfiture at having let Hester "slip through his fingers". However, the mystery itself is ridiculous. It is filled with absurd coincidences and a truly sick and cynical take on human nature. Perry should try to write some mysteries that are a little less sensational. If she feels that it necessary to be outrageous to sell books, then she has a very low view of the public, indeed.
on May 10, 2003
Excellent story, at first when Monk found Miriam and she told him that she is innocent, but she can't tell anything because nobody will believe her and because is better if she die that telling the true, I thought that the book doesn`t worth it, but I kept reading because the book keeps you interested in the story, so I said: "OK, I am sure that at the end I will regret to finish the book but I will."
When you get to the end of the book, you will see that Miriam was right, she will be better dead that telling everybody the truth of what she saw in Lucius house, I don`t know if this story could happen to a woman, but I wish not.
on November 21, 2000
Anne Perry never fails to fascinate with her Victorian mysteries - and this Monk tale is certainly no exception to that rule. Wielding a twist that makes you shiver, this plot never feels contrived or hokey -- outcomes simply reveal themselves to be completely believable, sensible and brilliant. Read this book, and two things will happen: first, you won't want to put it down until you finish; and second, you'll spend most of your future time and money devouring more of Perry's delicious mysteries.
on November 12, 2001
This is my first and as far as I can tell only experience with this author. She seems to have come up with a facinating plot and then proceeds to mess it up almost beyond belief.
Her main character never seems to dominate the novel. She constantly tells us how smart and formidable her heros are and then they prove her wrong by not being able to find or figure out anything. She has no sense of drama or suspense. She constantly changes the people driving the book, we go from Monk, to his wife, to Rathbone and if it doesn't fall in their lap they would never get there. One thought illustrates this point to a tee, she tells us Rathbone is the greatest barrister in the relm, then at the start of the trial she tells us Tobias defeats him as often as not, from the way it goes from there that is an understatement. Sometimes I give things a second chance but not this time thanks.
on June 14, 2000
I'm an avid fan of Anne Perry and even if I can't get a complete selection of her books in Manila, there's always Amazon! This must be one of her best books yet. In her typically rich and descriptive style, one is transported into the Victorian period in the middle of a mystery. This time around Willaim Monk and Hester Latterly and married and there is new depth in the characters with the change in their relationship. Right from the top, the sudden disappearance of the betrothed, the franctic fiance, the seemingly perfect relationship between the two gets the reader completely involved in this complex mystery. The end provides a completely satifying twist.
on January 20, 2001
I'm a long-time fan of Anne Perry and I especially like the Monk series, but I think it's time Ms. Perry puts away her computer and takes a bit of a vacation. Her writing has become tedious and formulaic. I knew who did it halfway through the book and the ending was predictable, mainly because any regular reader has seen it all before. She was once an excellent writer but I kept feeling that she's become lazy and doesn't care much about her art. The same adjectives appear on just about every page - She uses the words "tragedy," "courage," and "intelligence," so often they lose all meaning. Every heroine "fights against injustice" or some other over-used description. Every character is described in the same repetitive manner and the vocabulary not only doesn't vary among her novels, it doesn't vary among her characters. I barely recognized this version of Oliver Rathbone. The Rathbone of previous works would never give up on a client, must less resign himself to their guilt. The evidence that Robb used to make an arrest was laughable at best. And Perry's repeated descriptions of a chronically foot-sore Monk were annoying. I've always loved Anne Perry's work. I just wonder where one of my favorite authors has gone.