Echo Spot countdown boutiques-francophones Introducing Fire 7 tablet, starting at $59.99 WFM Furniture Kindle Paperwhite Explore the Amazon.ca Vinyl LP Records Store sports Tools

Customer reviews

Over the Edge
Format: Mass Market Paperback|Change

on September 14, 2001
I bought this book the day that it came out. I am an avid reader. I started this book at 10:30pm and stayed up until 3:30am in the morning to finish. You know that you have read a really good book when several weeks later you are still thinking about the characters and their stories. I LOVE the 'troubleshooter' series. I enjoyed Heart Throb, and although it will also remain one of my favorites, it still takes a back burner to The Unsung Hero, The Defiant Hero, and Over the Edge.
The SEAL Team 16 Troubleshooters are called on to take down a group of terrorists that have hijacked an airplane and forced it to land in Kazbekistan, which is better known as "the Pit" to Brockmann's readers. Lt. Teri Howe is a rescue pilot and a woman used to being harassed by men. Senior Chief Stan Wolchonok sees the harassment and does not like it. Stan gets permission to have Teri join his SEAL team on a training mission. Stan felt that it would get her away from the man currently harassing her and he would be there to look after her. Stan had no idea that a simple training mission would turn into a real mission, or that his feelings for Teri would become so complicated. Once landing in Kazbekistan the SEAL team began intense drills preparing themselves to overtake the plane with the hijackers. In the meantime, hostage negotiator Max tries desperately to speak to the hijackers, but is only able to speak to a young woman passenger. Gina has put her life on the line to protect the rest of those on the plane and now her only lifeline is the faceless man, Max. And in her usual style, Ms. Brockmann, gives us her story within a story that involves a tragic love story that took place during WWII. This story is told by Helga, a Holocaust survivor, who is currently suffering from Alzheimer's. Ms. Brockmann also brings back a very popular pair, SEAL member Sam Starrett and FBI sharpshooter Alyssa Locke.
My favorite couple is, of course, Sam and Alyssa. Although at the end of Over The Edge I wanted to cry for them both. I am still reeling from what happened to Gina, Sam, and Alyssa. I hated the ugliness that happened to Gina. I could not believe I actually cried for this character and for Max and the others who were there to hear everything the poor young woman went through at the hands of the terrorists. I have hundreds of books from many different authors, but none have touched me like this series. It must be a great thrill to make characters come alive. I actually feel like I know all of them. I hope that Sam and Alyssa find there way back to each other in a future book. I also hope Gina finds happiness after all she has been through. And lets not forget poor Tom and Kelly who are still unmarried. Over the Edge takes you on an emotional roller coaster. I admit that when I got to the last page I, at first, felt cheated. I thought no way could this story be over. Like another reviewer said, I wanted to throw the book across the room. But, several days later, when I was still thinking about the story and its characters, I knew that the storytelling was beyond good. Yes, it was extremely tragic and emotionally draining with very small glimpses of romance and humor, but because of the dark side the reader was pushed into finding the positives of every story. The outcomes to several of the stories could have been far worse than they were. I have never read a book that has left me feeling as drained as this one did. As another reviewer stated, this is not a "get away from reality" book. I would also highly recommend that you read The Unsung Hero and The Defiant Hero before reading Over the Edge. Ms. Brockmann has me hooked and impatiently waiting for her next book in this series. Thank You Ms. Brockmann for the love and passion of the characters that you write about that is so clearly evident on every page.
on June 19, 2003
I picked up Brockmann's "Into the Night" mostly judging by the first few sentences on the back cover. If I'd known it was a romance, I probably wouldn't have read it. The cover is not the traditional bodice ripping illustration, and that tends to make the book look like it's not in that genere. After I started reading the book, I was drawn in to the world Brockmann created and began to read the rest of the series from the first book.
So far, "Over the Edge" stands out as the best book in the series. Although Brockmann's plots exist secondarily, in place only as background for two characters to get together, this story of the hijacked airliner really kept me turning the page to see what would happen next.
The character of Max Bhagat really shines in this one. I'd like to read more about him. In many ways he is more intriguing than any of the Navy SEALS who make up the crux of this series.
I could do without the World War Two stuff though. I've gotten to the point where I skim it rather than actually read that part.
Brockmann's strength is in her dialogue. Dialogue is difficult to make real, and some authors never manage to get it right. In this case, the words the characters say are what make me keep coming back for more. I'm not a romance fan, and I could care less about reading love scenes, but some of the things these guys say to each other have me laughing out loud and smiling to myself whenever I think about it later. I'll keep reading Brockmann's work on the strength of her conversations between characters.
on August 28, 2001
Lieutenant Teri Howe is a Naval rescue pilot who loves what she does but freezes whenever a man comes on to her. Stan Wolchonok is the senior chief of the SEAL Team known as Team Sixteen Troubleshooters Squad. Stan notices her immediately and though he vehemently denies it to himself, he cares for Teri a great deal. When he sees her unable to defend herself when accosted by a former lover and unable to defend himself, he subtly breaks up the battle of the sexes and takes her under his wing.
He arranges, with Teri�s consent, for her to be assigned to his team for an exercise in the Azores. However their flight is diverted when hijackers force a landing in Kazbekistan, holding over a hundred men, women and children hostage. Teri surprises herself by becoming emotionally involved with Stan and under wartime conditions, the pair finds a love that is strong, real and beautiful. Now, all they have to do is free the hostages without getting killed.
Suzanne Brockmann has written one of the best books of her career, a novel that has action, adventure, intrigue and most of all, romance. It is the story of two lonely people who come together in the middle of a war zone and out of the ugliness comes something almost too beautiful to behold. This is a tale of finding the strength and courage to fight when common sense says flee. OVER THE EDGE takes the audience to the edge and back again.
Harriet Klausner
on August 26, 2002
Wow! Brockmann juggles three romance plots threading through a terrific military action/adventure story and she does it so smoothly you don't even notice until the end. She also does her usual very smoothforeshadowing to set up for the next book in the series, Out of Control (also *****). And the ... is hot - so what else do you want!
Painfully shy Navy Reserve pilot Teri Howe, the one with the "Walk On Me" sign on her back, becomes Senior Chief Wolcholnok's special project; after all, he can fix anything, right? The Senior Chief thinks the ideal fix will be to set Teri up with his friend and fellow SEAL Mike Muldoon; after all, with a SEAL for a boyfriend, who'd have the nerve to ... harass her? But as the "Get Teri a Spine" op proceeds, Teri might just work up the nerve to say what she really wants...
The Sam and Alyssa show continues, and even reaches resolution - twice. Max Bhagat becomes a fully fleshed-out character, as does Mike Muldoon (don't forget to look for foreshadowing). People live, people die, Alyssa gets her chance to participate in a SEAL op, Sam gets some very bad news, and WildCard is finally free of Adele.
Unless you are a pacifist, you'll love this book.
on September 2, 2001
Ms. Klausner described the book very well in her review. There is not only the romance between Teri Howe and Stan Kolchonek but also a story of a group of people during World War II that is sad and wonderful at the same time.
There is the ongoing romance between Sam Starrett and Alyssa Locke which finally is turning around for the better when Sam is told a girl he had been having a tryst with declares she is pregnant by him and when he returns to the states he makes plans to marry her. Well, that's all well and good, but he swears he also used protection, the protection never broke so how can he accept the baby being his so easily? He doesn't even find out how pregnant she is, i.e. how many months and plans to marry her within a few days. Besides that she is a tramp who hangs out in a low class bar. Give me a break. They are both adults, he is supposedly very intelligent and we are expected to believe he will leave Alyssa behind and marry this tramp? I did not like this at all because it was not something that would happen in the real world today.
I love Ms. Brockmann's books but this part left me cold.
on September 12, 2001
The characters were all brilliant. The primaries, secondaries, even the minor characters were all so real you felt you could touch them. The action was well woven into an intricate and intense story that made it an all-night, I-can't-put-down-no-matter-how-early-I-have-to-get-up read.
All of the characters were so different than the tired romance novel norms that I felt a bit like Alice, falling through the romance into a completely differnt genre. Teri is capeable, but afraid of men. Stan is a fix-it man who doesn't think of himself as attractive. Though he is attracted to Teri, he spends almost the whole book pushing her away, or setting her up with someone else. Sam is macho and rough, with a wall a mile thick to keep Alyssa from breaking his heart again, while she is a sharpshooter who has to be falling-down drunk to spend any time with him.
If you a re a bit tired of typical, cookie cutter plots and characters, this book will renew your faith in the romance novel. Take heart, there are original authors out there.
on February 3, 2003
Wow!!! This was my first Suzanne Brockman book, and I literally could not put it down. I'm very demanding when it comes to romance thrillers. So many authors overemphasize either the romance, or the thriller, yet Ms. Brockman delivered capably on both fronts. I liked the fact that she was chronicling several romances at once. These relationships were so believable, written with a lot of humor. My favorite scene is where Stan tells Muldoon he must be crazy if he doesn't think Teri's the sexiest woman on the planet. Stan's description of Teri was down-to-earth,yet eloquent, beautiful and moving. Also, the scene where Teri FINALLY makes the move on Stan was delicious. I loved the fact that Stan and Sam, although obviously strong men, weren't afraid to be emotional in front of their women. This is so unusual in romance novels, and I applaud Ms. Brockman for it. I did have a few complaints, though. First, Teri and Stan did a little too much waffling with each other. It made want to ask, "Are you two adults, or not? Get on with it, already!!" Yes, drawing out the conflict can create yummy anticipation, but at some point it gets tiring. Second, the character of Helga Schuler, who was valiantly battling Alzheimers, seemed out of place to me. She served almost no purpose in the book, and her connection to Stan and her "save-the-day" moment at the end of the book seemed concocted to me. Therefore, although her recollections of the romance between Annebet and Hershel were moving, when reading them I found myself repeatedly asking, "Why is this here?" Third, There was so much emotional drama going on between the characters (WildCard hit the nail on the head when he joked that their military mission was looking more like an episode from the Love Boat)that I didn't find it credible that these characters could still concentrate and perform well on the mission. They all seemed a little too adept at moving from emotionally wrought lover to ice-in-their-veins military mode. Other than those minor quibbles, I thought this book was sensational. I'm definitely going to read the prior Navy seal books!!
on October 26, 2001
This book is much better than the last,The Defiant Hero. In the Defiant Hero the main characters were ellipse by the chemistry between Alyssa and Sam. I basically missed the story between John Nilsson and Meg Moore because I wanted to know more about Alyssa and Sam.
Over the Edge does a better job of presenting a story within a story. Perhaps it does too good of a job because when it was done I was annoyed. I could not believe the ending between Sam and Alyssa. While I enjoyed the story of Stan and Terri, I wanted to yell at Suzanne Brockmann for making such an assine cliffender for Alyssa and Sam.
Basically this is a good book, buy it and know that you will be buying her next book also.
on September 6, 2001
OVER THE EDGE is a carefully constructed, well written "romance" novel, but be warned: it is extremely dark. This is not a "get away from reality" book. Themes include sexual harrassment, gang rape, Alzeheimer's, child molestation, Jewish-Gentile lovers caught in World War II. This is perhaps too much to carry in one book. Add to that at least one tragic romance and one that the reader expected to be resolved and was not. If Brockmann wants to write a really good novel and not a romance, she needs to change forums and go with it. This attempt to combine forms just doesn't work. The Sam-Alyssa romance has become a soap.
on September 2, 2001
Interesting characters, plenty of action and suspense, steamy and believable love scenes.....what more could a romance reader ask for?
Suzanne Brockman's SEAL team men are the most realistically written romance heroes in quite a while. Not perfect, and with all the quirks of "real" men. Her female characters are strong and easily have you rooting for them.
There are 4 different storylines going in "Over the Edge", and they are all worthy of their own book. The pain of lost love and aging are treated with respect and dignity; their toll on Helga is bittersweet. Teri and Stan are the main story here, but the romance of Alyssa and Sam moves forward as well-don't worry, I don't think their tale will finish with this book! I also have to say, I'd love to see Gina and Max get a story of their own. Both are wonderful characters I really want to visit again.
I literally couldn't put this one down. Started and finished it in one day! Hopefully Ms. Brockman will have the next installment of the SEAL series out earlier than planned!