countdown boutiques-francophones Learn more vpcflyout home All-New Kindle Music Deals Store sports Tools Registry

on September 4, 2012
This book opened new doors to the world of flash photography. Like many other amateur photographers, I was always skeptical about flash; but now, I love working with flash with tons of opportunities for artistic creativity.

Also, you will enjoy a very easy, step by step text in plain English with so many illustrations.

I only wish the captions of the figures were not in smaller fonts, very difficult to read. These are sort of main part of the book and not really captions, sometimes even longer than the main text. This is the only reason for four stars I give this book; otherwise, a full 5-star is what it deserves. Highly suggested to all photographers and photography lovers.
on September 12, 2012
I think I'm a Bryan Peterson junkie.
I seems that each time I get one of his books, I get new and invaluable insights.
In the case of Unferstanding Flash Photography, what I got was drastic.
Before, I'd have my hot-shoe flash on on automatic and basically not use it much... because it never seemed satisfying.
Now, I know exactly how to use it manually. Have perfect control over my light.
If you own a flash, do yourself a favor and learn to use it with this great ressource.
on January 11, 2013
I discovered Bryan Peterson from the videos he makes for Adorama TV. In all of the videos he demonstrates how to achieve good results in ordinary situations without resorting to expensive layouts such as a professional studio. In this book he takes just the same approach. The book works through a whole variety of scenarios where he uses flash to obtain some great photographs. In each case he tells you all the camera and flash settings he used and also tells you exactly why he chose those settings. In the vast majority of cases he uses just one flash gun although on a few occasions he uses a second flash.

In each case he shows a smaller photo taken without the benefit of flash and a larger image showing the improved picture taken with flash. There are also many photos showing the actual set up that he used.

The book is really easy to read and understand and has taught me more about flash photography than I ever knew before. Previously, I've always used flash in full automatic mode and have never been really happy with the results. Thanks to Bryan Peterson I now know better. A highly recommended book.
on July 23, 2015
Useful only if you own a Nikon SB900 or 910. Otherwise, this book is useless. I have a Nikon SB700 and this book tells me nothing about how to use it. Ditto for any generic flash. It only covers how to read out the distance and f-stop from the back of the flash and if your flash doesn't provide these numbers, this book will not tell you how to use it. It should be titled as a supplement to the Nikon SB900 manual.
on May 8, 2012
I read this book nearly every day, it solves a lot of my problem in taking pictures.The explaination of this book are simple & clear.
on April 6, 2013
This is an extremely useful book for learning how to use flash in a practical manner. Definitely an essential read
on September 3, 2015
I'm rapidly becoming a Bryan Peterson fan. All his books (I own several) are clear, and they contain lots of examples with cameral settings shown so the reader can understand what's been done between two images and why. This book is no exception, offering common-sense suggestions for the use of flashes (and a few simple accessories) to improve the readers results from what's available without a flash, or with the flash always mounted on the camera. Strongly recommended for anyone wanting to expand their knowledge of flash photography.
on March 25, 2014
After reading half of the book, I've already learned many things regarding how to use the flash light. I have bought several photography books which one of it was a set of 4, and I want to tell you that that writer intentionally hiding some details and want you to become his student and pay more money. On the other hand, this book, will even tell you the location, the time, etc of the photos shown. Highly recommended.
on February 9, 2015
By using manual modes, Peterson teaches the fundamentals of flash photography. This is OK for studios or if you have time to tinker but in fast dynamic situations, TTL flash with camera manual mode gives good results. Before reading this book, I usually got horrible indoor shots (black background with overblown subject exposure). Now I can control ambient and subject exposures at will.
on December 13, 2013
A very good book for understanding flash photography. It should be noted that this book is not about how to use speed lights or cameras but understanding flash photography. The author largely assumes the reader understands how to use his/her camera and speed light. I realized I needed to brush up on how my speed light worked before I could get the full benefit from this book. The author references, in a largely generic fashion, the Nikon SB900 speed light, which is the one he uses, but this is quite incidental to the book and its purpose.
The book covers the basic concepts like aperture, shutter speed, ISO and their interrelationship in the context of flash photography. One thing I found particularly useful is better appreciating the different roles of aperture and shutter speed in flash photography: what they individually contribute to a properly exposed photograph using flash. The manual mode of the speed light was strongly emphasized by the author. I came to better appreciate the use of this mode in effectively exposing flash photographs both for pop up and off camera speed lights. I now use this mode to a greater degree and a lot more effectively than I formerly did.
Finally I ought to say that after reading this book I came away with a clearer understanding of flash photography and the factors that determine its success.