Echo Spot countdown boutiques-francophones Introducing Fire 7 tablet, starting at $59.99 WFM home Kindle Paperwhite Explore the Amazon.ca Vinyl LP Records Store sports Tools

#1 HALL OF FAMETOP 500 REVIEWERon July 15, 2006
Peace Kills is a collection of mostly previously published writing by P.J. O'Rourke as he looks at America's progression from a peace keeper under President Clinton to a democracy implanter under President Bush with an interlude as a target of terrorist violence in the United States.

Here are the sections:

Why Americans Hate Foreign Policy; Kosovo (November 1999); Israel (April 2001); 9/11 Diary; Egypt (December 2001); Nobel Sentiments; Washington, D.C. Demonstrations (April 2002); Thoughts on the Eve of War; Kuwait and Iraq (March and April 2003); and Postscript (Iwo Jima and the End of Modern Warfare).

The book is deeply skeptical about how well any human activity can succeed, whether its purpose is noble or not. Perhaps the most telling section is about ancient and modern Egypt in which Mr. O'Rourke postulates that people have always been crazy . . . with the pyramids as lasting evidence of that observation.

Most of the essays take an ironical cast. First, the official purpose of an activity is described. Second, a counter-example is presented to show the purpose is being undercut. Third, a segue-way occurs into a further irony relative to the counter-example. You have left shaking your head in wonder. These sections are most interesting when they provide local color that you didn't know before. I loved all of the examples from Egypt of the antiterrorist safeguards being ignored in favor of either religious observances or advancing tourism.

What makes the book special to me is the incredibly fine writing that shows up in each essay in explaining a complicated event and circumstance in terms of our American perspective. These are real gems and show careful rewriting. One yearns in vain for more of this type of writing in the essays . . . rather than having one more point, counter-point, segue-way example of irony.

If you already think that war doesn't make sense, you won't need this book to convince you.

But if you love fine, witty writing and don't mind slogging through too many ironic examples to find it, this book will reward you with ten or so remarkable paragraphs.
on June 5, 2004
A witty and incisive collection of articles on the state of the world, it stars with 'Why Americans Hate Foreign Policy', and goes on to describe the baffling and tangled stae of affairs in Kosovo in 1999. I found the chapter describing his visit to Israel in 2001 particularly interesting, his comments on Zionism are fascinating. The chapter on Egypt is excellent too, though I did have rservations about his comment that we had no civilisation in Europe when the Pyramids were built. We didn't have civilisation on the scale and grandeur of Egypt, but we had some, after all, Newgrange was built before the Pyramids, and it's still standing. He also drags out those old chestnuts about the Arab world being more civilised than Europe during the Middle Ages, and about classical learning being unknown here until the Renaissance, both quite untrue. Mr O'Rourke knows a lot about a lot of things, but I don't think he knows much about the Middle Ages. The chapter about the anti-war demonstrations in Washington is very funny, and the chapter on Kuwait and Iraq during the early part of the war utterly fascinating. O'Rourke's genius for describing countries at war is unequeled. The chapter on Iwo Jima is interesting, but I found myself somewhat bemused by his statement that the Japanese officers were arguably more sensitive - nad more intelligent-than their American counterparts. Praising the culutral attaintments of the Japanese officers, he tells us that one of them knew Spencer Tracy, and that all three officers fought to the death. Having had an uncle who was taken prisoner by the Japanese, and was put to work building their vile Burma railway, I am not disposed to shed any tears over Japanese deaths during the war, and I don't care if every officer in the Japanese army knew Spencer Tracy AND Katherine Hepburn, there was nothing intelligent or sensitive about the way they treated their prisoners. This is a very good book, but not quite as dazzlingly brilliant and witty as some of his earlier books like 'Holidays in Hell' 'Give War a Chance' "All the Trouble in the World" and 'Eat the Rich'. And I definitely feel that when it came to writing about Iwo jima, he must have had too much saki
on June 21, 2004
This, PJ's latest, (...) a grab-bag of vaguely-connected pieces dealing with essentially the same theme (Give War A Chance). As such, it is a nice snapshot of the time, but doesn't give much in the way of lasting significance.
The travelogues to Israel and Egypt are among O'Rourke's finest foreign-correspondent pieces, but the brief look at why we went to war with Iraq seems facile and uninvolving. It may just be that I disagree with O'Rourke over the necessity of this war, but I didn't find his own criteria for why we did all that convincing. The trip through Kuwait and Iraq is illuminating in its portrait of the war some time before it really turned into a bloodshed, but offers little in the way of more than a cultural snapshot.
I think the chapter dealing with the anti-war protestors is a bit mixed. The war the protesters were up in arms against was Afghanistan, not Iraq, so I side with PJ on that one being the right war to engage in. But O'Rourke's overall dismissal of the protesters smacks of the same narrow-minded logic that disassociates most Republican pundits from the mainstream of American thought. If O'Rourke feels the protestors are wasting their time, he can't really offer much alternative to dispute their inherent views on the meaninglessness of war.
That being said, it's still an enjoyable read: The humor is crackling, and O'Rourke lets in trademark comments about how utterly stupid war is to balance out what I found as T.R.W.A.D. (Typical Republican Whining About Dissent - feel free to use that anytime). The last chapter on Iwo Jima deals with the utter senselessness of either side's will to hold or take the island. It's a sobering thought, considering what so many died for amounts to a less-than-paradisical island with little in the way of natural beauty.
Overall, I liked this book pretty well, even though I disagreed totally with O'Rourke's rationalizations for the crisis in Iraq. It's really up to the individual reader to determine where they stand on that issue, but it shouldn't take away from anyone's ability to enjoy this book in total. Four stars due to the haphazard way it was put together (would have worked better as a cohesive treatise on the modern state of warfare, post-9/11), and because it's over far too soon.
on June 26, 2004
"I like the places I write about. I enjoy the people. I have had a good time where ever I've
gone, Iraq included. My subject in a way is pleasure. This is a book about pleasantness which is why I have dedicated it to Mike Kelly", so says PJ O'Rourke in his new book "Peace Kills: America's New Imperialism. Mike Kelly was the editor of "The Atlantic" until he was killed in an accident in Iraq. Mike Kelly is the kind of person you want as a friend, funny, irreverent, kind, a family man who adored his wife and children- sounds like P.J.O'Rourke as a matter of fact.

I have adored P. J. O'Rourke for several years. P.J. O'Rourke is an admitted Libertarian, as am I. P. J. lives in New England, he moved here after 9-11. He found the kind of simple life he wanted for his family and himself. but, he also has a home in the city, Washington, D.C. so he meet and greet old friends and do his job as a writer/reporter. P.J. also appears on NPR's "Wait, Wait Don't Tell Me" on a semi-regular basis. All in all a man to be admired.
In this new book, he has put together some of his articles from "The Atlantic" and "The Wall Street Journal". He talks about the start of the Iraq War. He was in Kuwait and was awakened by his wife in the US who called to tell him the war had started. He finally arrives in Baghdad and as he visits one of Saddam's palaces he says "If a reason for invading Iraq was needed, felony interior decorating would have sufficed." Now, do you understand why I love this guy's wit? He goes on to discuss his visit to Kosovo and Israel after 9-11. But the largest portion of the book is devoted to Iraq and Kuwait. He bargains with a local for a case of beer starting at $20 and ended up paying $24.50. What a country! He concludes that we will never have Peace but we will have a war where we talk about our soldiers we can say "They are our Heroes".
P.J. O'Rourke is never dull. I search for his articles in "The Atlantic" first- they are always informative, entertaining and irreverent. This is my kind of book. He doesn't clear up my confusion but then, it's mine, anyway. prisrob.
on July 18, 2004
If you're looking for a knee-slapping, good time description of the world today, you should look somewhere else. Actually, I don't know where you could look, in light of the times. In any event, this is a funny, light and easy to read book that examines hot zones aroung the world with a lighter perspective. Oddly enough, the author makes quite a few valid points about the foundational aspects of conflict around the world. As Americans, it would be good for us to learn that we can't solve the world's problems with the fast-food approach that we find so satisfying to apply to other aspects of life. I especially enjoyed Mr. O'Rourke's descriptions of his interaction with common people in the Middle East, since it drives home the fact that most people just want to be left alone to make a decent living; without much regard for the politics of hatred that our leaders tend to focus upon.
on July 6, 2004
O'Rourke breaks down a Nobel laureate set of assertions by advocating the post-Reagan pan-national wisdom: 'tis better to feel good than to actually DO good...Morning in America is no-risk, baby!
Seriously, o'Rourke is basically asserting that death, the avoidance of it, the fear of it, the threat of it, must, in teh post 9/11 world, be central to our lives.
Problem is twofold. One, there are ALOT of people who think thatdeath is nowhere NEAR the worst thing that can happen to ya. Who think that there are ALOT ofthings actually worse than death, and who have actualized themselves tothe point that they cen clearly articulate those things, people and ideas for which they would be willing to die. That sensibility has been edged out by citizenship defined as the right to Road Rage on the way to getting home in time for a microwave meal and FRIENDS (or JOEY, sorry).
Two, what kind of world, and way of being in the world, springs from the social primacy of fear and the political primacy of death, when all of that is combined with the illusory expression of the American Dream through Reagan's long lens?
Well, it produces a world that encourages interlocking elites like O'Rourle to advocate the sending of the masses upon whose back they stand to give up their life in service of both the fear and the illusory sense of "American citizen" as equal to "I have the right to feel good!!!!"
The only counter to O'Rourke foolishness is intimate awareness, and moment-to-moment education, towards the end of promoting a society interested in pledging not to a flag, but to the Constitution, a society that wouldn't know the names of all the FRIENDS' characters, b/c their mind is filled with the names and votes and positions of their representatives, local to global.
In other words, Peace doesn't kill; a fundamental failure to understand what citizenship MUST mean in a democracy (or even in what we have in the States, a represenatative republic, and not a democracy) kills not only you abut everyone else. And when radical statists like the Bsuh cabal can enact nuclear petulance in the sandbox of the world, citizenship, fearless, knoweldgable and empowered, in the only countervailing force, the only other superpower.
O'Rourke's book is Kryptonite to that notion, and crippled in its ability to move anybody forward to do anyting other than fear fear itself and fear death, and beg for Hobbes' Leviathan.
on June 10, 2004
How does O'Rourke get away with publishing these painfully macho & hugely unfunny pieces? He reminds me of the guy at the party you didn't want to go to but went because of some social obligation - he's the one wearing a green blazer & plaid pants, a highball in his fist, carrying on...& on...& on ... about some banal escapade on the golf course or in the conference room & he's surrounded by a bevy of sycophants wearing frozen grins & gripping empty glasses. (Shudder).
He & David Brooks are what swore me off the Atlantic Monthly. It was like drinking whiskey sours & prune juice. (Double-shudder).
on May 26, 2004
You probably either love or hate P.J. O'Rourke. From the ranting Marxist maniac of thirty years ago to the libertarian leaning Republican of today, he has been consistently funny. This book covers 9/11 through the early stages of the war in Iraq.
O'Rourke is something of a gonzo journalist in the Hunter S. Thompson tradition in that the story is his adventures in getting the story. The fault is not as grievous with O'Rourke, however, in that he is both far less pretentious and far funnier. (He mentions the personal effect of 9/11 on him of driving his prior book off the medium well sellers list, for example.) We travel with O'Rourke as he watches the well intentioned fail to bring order out of chaos while delivering free food to the semi-starving, while he dickers up the cost of buying what he thinks is alcoholic beer in dry Iraq, and while he visits Holy Land, or is it the holely land?
There are certain insights here although the book is played primarily for laughs. It is difficult to dislike the people O'Rourke meets in his travels eventhough they dislike ech other to the point of killing. There is no strong political message in this book and O'Rourke does not burden us with any proposed solutions. Rather, he describes the scenes and the people in such a way as to recall to mind Oliver Hardy saying to Stan Laurel, "This is another fine mess you've gotten me into."
I might mention that this is not a book for the ages. Although there will be no problem for the reasonably well informed now, in ten years you won't be able to get the jokes without reference to footnotes.
Less bitter than Ann Coulter, far funnier than Al Franken, this is a book with an eye for the absurd that has chosen to laugh rather than to cry.
on June 1, 2004
But this book wanders, fun as it is to read. I keep looking for a MESSAGE. I liked the "Eat the Rich" which did have a conclusion and a message of sorts. AS with his writings in Atlantic and I am a bit disappointed that PJ is no longer "sharp". He moves aimlessly, like a man who is fat, dumb and happy with cheap barbs. I think he could make it more meaningful, old as he is now. Perhaps we should expect a bit more depth, although in most of his book lately depth is on a holiday.
Ok, I am a fan, despite the fact this book so far is not hitting the spot for me.
on July 6, 2004
I really like PJ O'Rourke but this book is only OK.
It may be that the subject matter is closer to home or more serious than his other books.
He comes across as too old physically to do what he needed to do for his profession. That would be to have been imbedded with troops in Iraq for 2003 and if possible in Afganistan for 2001 and 2002, he does neither. What he does do is wander around luxury hotels in Kuwait. When stateside he makes no unique observations. Many people in NY or Washington on 9/11 could have written the same essays.
Ever since 9/11 I have been waiting to see his take, and there is little insight and zero inspiration.