countdown boutiques-francophones Eco Friendly Cleaning and Care home Kindle sports Tools

TOP 1000 REVIEWERon November 1, 2016
The idea is counterintuitive of course, given what most physicians prescribe (and what pharma would have them prescribe.) The authors of this (easy to read) book go to great lengths to address the backward thinking that has governed diagnoses and treatments for so-called "excess acid" for years. They are careful to point out that there are exceptions, but the bottom line for most of us is the following: stomach acid production declines with age. I stopped conventional treatment via PPIs recently, after researching the drugs' side effects. I then stumbled upon a posit that too little (or diminished) stomach acid could lead to a host of problems, including what is perceived as too much acid. Exams by two physicians indicated no serious condition other than "acid reflux" (with related sinus discomfort and post-nasal drip). Then I found this book. Early days, but things are improving day to day. YMMV of course and consulting a physician is always the place to start. However, this book may help you to see things from the other end of the telescope.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon July 3, 2017
Know anyone on antacids or acid blocking meds? Required reading ! Know anyone considering bariatric surgery ? Read this first !
With all the current emphasis on the gut bacteria microbiome perhaps it only makes sense to examine the first stop in the gut express. As usual
Big Pharma treats the symptoms while ignoring the cause , and at what long term price. Your stomach is specially designed to be full of very strong acid. When people surpress this activity long term there are health ramifications. How can you absorb proper nutrition when the process is stifled
from the get-go ?
A very readable explanation of whats going on , and how to care for and correct it. Highly recommended.
on July 24, 2017
Very informative book about low stomach acid. I'd been suffering from daily acid reflux. Since taking stomach acid pills, that has stopped and my digestion/bloating is also slightly better. I decided to discuss with a naturopath as self-treatment can only take you so far.
on July 4, 2017
I too am skeptical of big pharma and doctors that only want to treat symptoms. This book really hammered home the disconnect between M.D.'s guidance vs. Prevention.
on May 8, 2014
Everyone should read this book. We are so misinformed about our health care. The drugs recommended to lower gastric acid are harmful and in most cases unnecessary. We need to try to cure ourselves, not mask the symptoms.
on December 11, 2002
I'm 32 and have had heartburn since I was a teenager. I controlled it with TUMS. A year ago I finally went to a GI doctor and he immediately prescribed Prevacid. It worked great. I could eat anything, even my favorite pepperoni pizza. After a year on the drug I decided to quit cold turkey. I didn't want to have to take this drug the rest of my life especially after hearing some of the possible long term side effects (stomach tumors). I had horrendous heartburn non stop for 2 weeks. I stuck with only Tums to help ease the pain. I got to thinking that something else might be going on. I called my sister who worked at an allergy clinic. She had me come in to speak with the doctor. He ordered Food Allergy tests. Sure enough... Dairy, Tomatoes, Corn, Peanuts. At about the same time, I found this book. This book explains why that it is very probable that I got these food allergies from STOMACH ACID SUPPRESSION. It also explains why I could have low stomach acid which might be the cause of my GERD. It could also explain why I have had acne since I was a teenager. It's all exposed in this wonderful book. This is no joke... I now believe I will find out soon when I get my allergies under control that STOMACH ACID IS GOOD FOR YOU!!!
on July 5, 2002
Hard to believe, but true - at least in my particular case and, in the authors' opinion, about 90% presenting with indigestion.
After being warned by a pediatrician about the high incidence of stomach cancer among patients taking acid suppressors, I scoured the health food stores and web looking for alternative therapies until finally finding Dr. Wright's & Lenard's book.
They explained in detail how the stomach and, by extension, the whole body, are severely compromised by low stomach acid. The doctors expose the drug companies - who have known since the 1800s that the symptoms of low stomach acid mimic and are much more common than those attributed to too much acid - for the greedy pushers that they are.
The doctors warn of an impending stomach cancer epidemic and other related health problems if the drugs that are currently dispensed like candy (and are amazingly available over the counter) continue unfettered.
In my own personal experience, I have been under treatment for GERD and heartburn for over 10 years with typical emphasis on acid reduction, e.g., Prilosec, Nexium, and a lot of Rolaids. I was off drugs the same day I received this book and feel much better by taking over-the-counter supplemental acid and pepsin.
No doubt the drug companies will attack the truth here. There is a lot of money to be made by selling expensive products that at once reduce and yet sustain the indigestion symptoms daily until the patient eventually dies.
This information is a lot like that of Australian medical researcher Dr. Barry Marshall, the man who was ridiculed but later vindicated for discovering that the cause of many ulcers is a helicobacter pylori bacterial infection. While initially controversial, this book will hopefully similarly end up changing the dependence on dangerous acid-reducing drugs and save lives.
on October 22, 2003
The title of this book is a bit deceptive. The authors use a combination of exisiting medical literature, clinical experience, and common sense to make the point that a stomach that is not functioning properly is associated not just with stomach problems, but with many other medical problems as well (e.g., depression, autoimmune diseases, asthma). If you only read one book about health or nutrition in your life, this should be the book you read. My only criticism of this book is that although they provide links to organizations with doctors who might test your stomach function, there is no link to any list of doctors who definitely will do so.
on October 6, 2002
I am a current patent of Dr. Wright and have read his book after my stomach acid was tested ,as outlined in the book, and showed to be extremly low. I have been following the guidance outlined and under Dr Wrights guidance and feel better. No more bloating after a meal and more stable energy through the day. It is too bad most doctors do not check their patents stomach acid level before prescribing medication. As outlined in this book, digestion is not the only problem associated with low stomach acid.
on December 4, 2001
Bad experiences with heartburn and indigestion might make you think that stomach acid is a bad thing. Wrong. I read this book and now drink over a pint of it a day, if I can keep the stuff down, and my insides are feeling tip-top.