countdown boutiques-francophones Learn more scflyout Furniture All-New Kindle Music Deals Store sports Tools

Format: Paperback|Change

on July 6, 2009
This is a very detailed, comprehensive and well written book which will give guitar players of all levels excellent insight into the world of guitar repair and maintenance. Even if you don't plan on conducting any repair or maintenance work on your own guitars, you will gain an understanding of what to expect when guitar techs and luthiers do. I reference this book every time I take on a new project on my guitars and so far it has been an excelelnt source of information. I wish the illustrations were in colour sometimes as they are black and white photographs lacking some depth, but other than that, the book is solid.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon April 14, 2012
This is a fantastic book with lots of illustrations and detailed descriptions. I would recommend the book for all players and the DIYers. I have made a few repairs and am onto some bigger repair projects. The book is a great resource for getting the job done right. Even if you do not fix up guitars for others, it is invaluable to have around incase you need to do repairs to yours. It also serves as a preventative manual in some ways. As you read through, you will pick up on info on how to keep your guitar in tip top shape and prevent future repairs.
on August 25, 2009
Nice book but will need illustration and text update some adjustment technique are not appropriated whit guitar manufacturer specification. This book doesn't cover all tremolo type you will still learn a lot from it good reference book.
on August 16, 2013
A lot of information in this book, some I'll never use. However if your in any way interested in making basic guitar repairs, or complex ones its a good book to get you started,. I managed to fix a rather large dent in the maple neck of my beloved stratocaster. While not 'as good as new' it looks significantly better and most importantly it masked the damaged area so I no longer see it when playing...not sure a pro would have done any better. So for me it was worth the cost.

Also if your interested in guitar set up this is a great reference.
on October 13, 2015
As stated in the headline, I think this book is pretty much indispensable if you enjoy having your instruments in perfect playing shape. It is easy to read, has tons of good info, pictures to see what he is doing and is organized from easy (low degree of skill required) to complex (high degree of skill required) repairs.

A couple of examples: 1) Over the years I thought I had it all figured out when it came to string changes on my classical, acoustic or electric guitars. I kind of did but the tips and suggestions helped me to "perfect" this simple but important task. My instruments now stay in tune much better! 2) Using the instructions, a screwdriver and electronic tuner all my instruments now have excellent intonation. By doing basic setups on my guitars and bass I have saved money (paid for the book multiple times over) and, bonus, found out I really enjoy doing this kind of work.
on January 4, 2014
Have read this guide book from cover to cover and couldn't recommend it more! Extremely informative with lots of interesting side stories and in-depth explanations. Best guide ever.
on March 25, 2015
Dan Erlewine's name is probably familiar to most guitar players who have ever thought about or worked on their own guitars. Although he is now associated with a large after-market parts supplier, this book is an excellent resource for someone who wants to begin to set up and service their own electric guitars. There are other, similar books by good authors, but this one seems to be the most comprehensive I've found so far. If I had to buy just one to start doing my own service work, this would be it.
on May 25, 2014
This really is written and plain understandable English. I am glad for buying tis book it answers all questions on all the repairs to be done to Guitars . It has become my bible of repairs and some more . It speaks to Guitarist , beginners ,Hobbyist and Pros about all sections , setups and maintenance to be done... Highly recommended for all involved with Guitars.
on April 4, 2014
This book is easy to read and understand--I play bass and am tired of having setups performed by wannabees. I have been doing my own setups and some friends for a few years but with this book, I truly understand how to get the results I want.
on July 23, 2014
very satisfied exactly what we were searching for thank you