Echo Spot countdown boutiques-francophones Introducing Fire 7 tablet, starting at $59.99 WFM home Kindle Paperwhite Explore the Amazon.ca Vinyl LP Records Store sports Tools

Half-Blood Blues: A Novel
Format: Paperback|Change

on November 24, 2013
There aren't that many novels that come along that stop me in my track. Half-Blood Blues was such a novel. Esi Edugyan is so talented it is almost too good to be true. Her novel about rag-tag war time jazz players gone underground is absolutely engrossing. It is gritty, hard-hitting and at the same time a heart breaking tale. The story mainly takes place in Paris just before the occupation and it uncovers the way German blacks, and African Americans mostly artists types, were categorized and discriminated against. German blacks were treated with contempt while African Americans were relatively free to travel and perform without issue. This story is one that should be essential reading in high school as it tells an important story mostly untold. It moved me and opened my eyes to yet another German atrocity.
on March 4, 2014
Esi Edugyan's Half-Blood Blues is a must read! Her command of the rhythm of language, her keen sense of history, her fine ability to write personal narrative, especially dialogue, will keep you spellbound. I couldn't put this book down and will re-read it on a regular basis.
on February 22, 2016
Introduction to a very different world in
Wartime- took awhile to understand the lingo etc but half way through it became
Quite interesting.think I sorted out a few facts from the fictional. Not for a quick
Breeze through- requires understanding of the times and genre .
on August 2, 2014
I enjoyed it as a very different look at WWII, and how people lived through it. At times it was hard to follow the slang, but the flow and rhythm of the words made it easier to get into. The book jumped around in time frames a few times, but it was always clear where you were with the characters. Not the quickest, or easiest book to read through, but enjoyable to the end.
on June 18, 2012
It took me quite a while to finish this book, it was really dry. The protagonist is the least interesting of all the characters. The subject matter is why I bought the book, and the story is really interesting, but how it is written couldn't make it less appealing to continue reading. I read a book a week and this is the least interesting novel I've read in a number of weeks.
on July 11, 2014
This was a book club choice, otherwise I may not have finished it. It was hard at first to get around the slang, then the jumping back and forth in time. It was interesting to learn something different about that time in France and Germany.
on January 29, 2014
I found it well worth reading and thoroughly enjoyed it. It's a story of young jazz musicians who find themselves in Berlin in the late '30s. The characters are well portrayed. and it was an introduction to jazz for me.
i would recommend it to anyone as the emotional aspect is not too sentimental for most.
on August 31, 2013
A friend recommended this one that their book club was reading. I was intrigued by the topic although I didnt know the author. I enjoyed both the story and the author's style. The book is full of exquisite prose. Esi creates magic with hr pen that makes you feel you are present with the characters. Loved it!
on December 11, 2014
Follows a period in history but intertwines a realistic story that is very good.
on December 22, 2013
I thought it was boring and only read a few pages. Not sure why it did not grab my attention although I
think some readers would get right into it.