Echo Spot countdown boutiques-francophones Introducing Fire TV Stick Basic Edition WFM home Kindle Paperwhite Explore the Amazon.ca Vinyl LP Records Store sports Tools

on January 29, 2018
I loved this book. Patrick DeWitt is a very skilled story teller and his prose is succinct and clear. It was a really quick read and not a typical Western. I read Under Majordomo Minor and loved that too. (Ablutions depressed me, and I didn't finish it). I am a real fan of DeWitt and will look forward to other books in the future.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon August 31, 2016
Not a fan, alas. The writing is wonderfully droll if you are in the mood to be wonderfully droll. Perhaps I wasn't. The story kind of goes on, lumbering a bit, much like the poor old horse being ridden by the better behaves of the Sisters Brothers.
I would suggest you try it. But it's one of the few books I put down unfinished.
on April 16, 2012
I did not have high expectations for The Sisters Brothers before reading it, despite the awards and critic's reviews. It was a book club selection. I quickly discovered that it was not a typical read of the Western genre. It was witty, hillarious in parts, utterly readable, and educational to boot. There was a psychological richness to it that did not disappoint.

Pros: I loved the narrator's character, Eli, who is one of the Sister's brothers. It was a complex, rich and quite believeable character that offered plenty of surprises. I also really enjoyed the humour.

Cons: Despite the obvious point that the ending was making and its important message, I did not enjoy the ending. Perhaps that's just me, though. I will let you decide for yourself.
on January 8, 2013
I absolutely love this book. I brought it along when I was doing a little solo camping. I happened (by sheer luck) to have a small bottle of brandy with me, and if you know anything about this book, you'll know that was a very lovely fluke. I honestly can't remember the last time I had this much fun reading.

I finished it in one night, which is something I don't often do. I loved every page. I've lent it to four or five other people, who all have loved it as well. I'm not the "western" type, either.

Buy it. Read it. And if you happen to have a little brandy, use it.
on April 27, 2017
A hoot!
Will buy more DeWitt stories based on my enjoyment of this book.
on February 14, 2012
I wasn't overly impressed with this book. It is set during the gold rush days but the two brothers come off like they should be English professors rather then two hired killers. The details were not very realistic - particular about the state of dentistry in the 1850s. I read the book, just didn't enjoy it all that much.
on March 8, 2017
Not a blockbuster of a book but well written and a great study of a pair of fairly flawed men. Looking forward to reading Mr. DeWitt's next books.
on June 7, 2014
I was not enthrall by the book and did not really enjoy it. I was disappointed as it was on an award list. I should find a book from the same author and read it, instead of dismissing him.
on April 7, 2016
I don't read alot of books, but this one I could not put down. Great read
on December 2, 2017