Echo Spot countdown boutiques-francophones Introducing Fire 7 tablet, starting at $59.99 WFM Furniture Kindle Paperwhite Deathwish Explore the Amazon.ca Vinyl LP Records Store sports Tools

on February 10, 2017
Great techniques that are very practical and easy to follow. I did find the end of the book boring and flipped through it as it has historical information which I didn't find useful.
on April 23, 2016
Beautiful book that will help you prepare for the most wonderful event of your life!! Gives a positive view of birth and how you can create a calm and relaxed atmosphere. I loved the visualization poems!!
on July 8, 2016
Great!
on December 18, 2013
I'm a birth doula, and I encourage all my clients to read this! This is an empowering book for people looking to birth at home or in the birth centre. It has some discouraging statistics about hospital births, so if you are gearing up for an in hospital birth just be aware; it might not be the thing you read right before you enter the delivery room... or maybe, for that same reason, it is!
on April 17, 2013
Awsome service quick and timely.bthank you fo clearly stating the use of text book/ book I got exactly what you described.
Thanks
Connie Wakaluk
Awsome Awsome service
on September 17, 2000
because it focuses on the mother-to-be naturally reclaiming the birth process. This book was one of my tried-and-true resources during my pregnancy while I was thoughtfully trying to decide what birth experience I wanted. I ended up making an informed decision to have a midwife-assisted natural homebirth, and it was the most exhilarating experience of my life. There is no other way I would want to bring a child into this world. I challenge any mother-to-be to think for herself, inform herself of all the options, and make the choice SHE (not just her OB/GYN) feels is right. Thank God a medically-controlled hospital birth is not the only option. Blessed are the babies who receive such a warm welcome into the world. And, my heart breaks for every innocent little soul who is yanked from his mother's womb by a pair of cold, latex-gloved hands in a cold, bright, sterilized hospital. Trust me, women...there IS a better way! You have all the resources and strength within you to have exactly the kind of birth you want.
on December 25, 2001
I would like to say that first of all, I agree with the previous reader from Austin (who rated this book a 1 out of 5 stars) only in that the author definitely has a strong bias against the medical establishment. The bias is so severe it does at times appear as a chip on her shoulder and she is so against modern medicine that she argues against any involvement with doctors at all. And I also agree that her choice of pictures/illustrations do seem overly dated given the publication date. (I actually had no idea that it was published as recently as 1994. I definitely perceived a 1970s feel.)
Given that, I would still say that the basic points of her information are worth considering. A natural birth is natural. In the normal situation of birth, the body is able to handle the huge amounts of stress that it experiences. And a woman's mind CAN be capable of cooperating with the body. The author also gives anecdotal evidence that the mind is also capable of working against the body. Basically, a natural birth is a whole experience and all components of the woman must work together to get the most out of such a tremendous experience. Her body, mind, emotions, and social support system must work in agreement and any conflict may cause problems or delays.
I read this book earlier this year after resolving to start a family. I read it a full 9 months before I actually became pregnant. At first, I was very convinced that natural birth is the only way. But after 9 months of contemplation, I now believe natural birth is the best way, but not the only way. Perfectly normal and happy families are created through less natural processes. And I still have another 8 months to dwell on my own choice for the birth of my first child.
So my goal is to start from an ideal birth plan that is natural, but safe, and then I can determine where I am willing to accept changes. After all a healthy baby and a healthy mom is what is ultimately important, right? Sure it may be better for my baby to be born drug free. And it may be better for me to nurse my newborn immediately and upon demand the whole time I am in the hospital so that we may bond as soon as possible. But it is also better if I never eat cheetos or pizza, and I can live with myself if I indulge in that occasionally.
So here's my bottom line. If you're considering a natural birth method and want some stories and a varied picture of what types of options are available, definitely read this book. But read it with some salt (as several other reviewers have said). Be critical and objective of all that you read. Likewise, be just as critical and objective of what your OB and doctors tell you. Be an informed medical consumer and I think you will be happy with a healthy baby, however she arrives. Good luck!
One person found this helpful
on January 26, 2001
Reading negative comments of writer who had positive hosp. birth experience in Austin, TX, i wish to point out that Texas has one of the most active midwifery associations in our country - they have been instrumental in advancing natural birth practices in Texas. You were fortunate to have the options you shared - they are still not the norm for hospital births in much of our country. I live in Virginia Beach, VA, am a nurse, mom and grandmom. Hosp. births here still leave a lot to be desired. Episotomies are standard, induction and c-section rate are very high. When I went to nursing school in the 1980's, I was not taught anything about natural childbirth, I was taught that women needed interventions and taught about the interventions. It wasn't until I became natural childbirth educator that I found out how our bodies really work during birthing and how to work with the body's natural birth capabilities. Many women live in localities where they need to be aware that they have other options than what is traditionally offered in their communities- they may have to fight for their right to have the birth of their choice. This book does an excellent job at empowering women to look for healthy birth choices- I look forward to the day when your experience of forward thinking and practices in a hospital setting is the norm, rather than the exception.
on July 14, 2000
I highly recommend purchasing this book/video set as opposed to just the book. The book is wonderful, and will help any pregnant woman make sound, informed decisions on how to approach her individual birth. The video shows the births of several babies-which is wonderful and educational to watch. Both book and video are extremely high-quality and worth every penny you may spend on them. The set is slightly biased against our medical establishment here in the USA, and I do want to warn some of you out there to absorb the information that works for you, and just listen to the rest with an open mind and a grain of salt. The video is what really changed my mind about my approach to the upcoming birh of my son-I strongly recommend this set for every pregnant woman, whether she is interested in natural child-birth or not.
on October 19, 2002
When I was pregnant with my first child I read, believd, and greatly enjoyed this book. I felt so prepared for my home birth attended by a midwife, and was so sure everything would work out....
To make a long story short, everything doesn't always work out great with home birth like the beautiful stories tell. I had to transfer to the hospital, and had a miserable birth experience with my first child. After reading this book I was so built up for a wonderful experience. I still had a healthy baby, and no major complications.
I think this is a good book to read, if taken with a grain of salt. A home birth would be a wonderfull thing, as would a birth center, or an OB who was behind natural birth(the choices which are given the most credit). Unfourtunatly, in practice there are people who have difficulties with birthing, and I feel this book failed to address that, and went overboard on the 'woman-power'/have faith in your body/you can do it aspect. If you choose a home birth, this can be a wonderfull thing to do. But it is best to have a back up plan, just in case.
4 people found this helpful