countdown boutiques-francophones SubscribeAndSave Home Kindle Explore the Amazon.ca Vinyl LP Records Store sports Tools

on January 13, 2016
I LOVE this book!

As someone who has struggled more recently with panic attacks and anxiety, I've been willing to try anything and everything to help myself get better. This book teaches fantastic tricks and tips that are so easy to follow and identify with.

Each chapter and exercise targets something different, and after finishing only half the book I had already learned so much more about myself, my thought patterns, and my behaviours! I especially love the charts that allow you to track your anxiety/depression/etc week after week to see how you are doing.

This book has made me feel more in control of my mental health, which is a fabulous thing. Highly recommend to anyone!
on April 16, 2003
I've used this workbook successfully as a therapist at a community mental health clinic serving poorer clients in Tucson AZ. I've used it in individual and group therapy. Frankly, I've found "Mind Over Mood" much more user-friendly than the more popular "Feeling Good Handbook" by David Burns, which contains similar cognitive therapy methods. The "thought record" chart, in particular--the heart of CBT--is more straightforward in Mind Over Mood. They've set up seven intuitive columns, from left to right. Burns's version of this chart, where each situation and emotion is listed separately at the top of the page, tends to confuse people, in my experience.
I really like the way Greenberger and Padesky put in little hint questions in small type at the bottom of the columns, to remind you what you're supposed to be doing without having to go back and read the text. And the book is full of terrific hint boxes which give you questions to ask yourself if you're having trouble understanding the exercises. I have not seen this anywhere else.
Defects? 1) This book doesn't contain the richness of material of the Burns or other CBT workbooks. The chapters on specific conditions at the end are pretty paltry. It's really just a very large book on how to do a thought record. 2) The authors limit evaluating automatic thoughts to "evidence for", "evidence against", and a "reasonable alternative". This rigid empirical model is not suited to everyone or every situation. Surprisingly, there is no discussion of or columns for "cognitive distortions" (Burns) or "disputes" (Ellis). This is a major defect, but one can work around it by expanding what is allowed in the "evidence against" columns.
Overall though, an excellent book for use in clinical settings with general mental health patients. I find myself pulling it out much more often than my other CBT books sitting next to it on my shelf. Once clients get the hang of cognitive therapy, I introduce more sophisticated material; but I haven't found a better starting point.
on October 31, 2015
Worth every penny! The updates reflect the research findings. In fact, the whole workbook was rewritten!
Excellent book. Re-written to reflect research findings over the past 20 years. Well written, full of examples...
on May 27, 2016
Been dealing with a lot of shame, guilt, jealousy, envy, resentments that I didn't know existed. So far Mind Over Mood has helped me realize those and identify the roots and how to change how I feel about myself by thinking more optimistically. Thank you! Good luck to everyone! 😃
on June 23, 2016
Thousand thanks to Dennis Greenberger and Amazon.
This is an amazing book. I enjoy reading it. I love the clarity of the therapy & behavioral pattern that release old thought patterns and clear the way for new patterns of thinking and living. Lida
on May 7, 2002
Ben is 71 years old; he aches all over. His golfing buddy just died and his wife is recovering from breast cancer. His children and grandchildren don't seem to need him anymore. Ben has given up, "I feel half dead already."
Marissa, age 36, has gone through her second divorce. Both of her hus-bands were abusive alcoholics. Her father, starting at age 6, had sexually molested her. She feels worthless. "I'm no good," "I'm a failure," I'm never going to get better," "My life is hopeless," "I may as well kill myself." She has one child, age 18.
Linda, age 29, is a competent professional. She was offered a promotion as a regional supervisor; a promotion involving frequent flying. Just the thought of flying leaves her in a cold sweat, with her heart pounding and gasping for breath. She has had several panic attacks each week. But why, Linda asks? "I support myself, I've managed to buy a small condo, I have good friends and a supportive family, I don't drink or use drugs, I've always lived a good life-why is this happening to me?"
Vic is a 49 year old recovering alcoholic with anger management problems. He feels he has to be perfect. His anger, his perfectionism and his alcoholism are destroying his relationship with his wife, Judy.
These are the four individuals whom you will meet in this workbook. Ben and Marissa suffer from depression, Linda is struggling with panic attacks, Vic is dealing with alcoholism, anger management problems and perfectionism. These individuals want to change, but they don't know how to break out of the thinking patterns that are destroying their lives. The authors of this workbook give them the means to do just that, to learn and automatize new thinking methods. It is fascinating to watch Ben, Marissa, Linda and Vic learn to challenge their old thinking patterns, learn healthy thinking methods and improve their lives.
What are you struggling with in your life? What patterns in thinking have held you trapped over the years? How can you develop and automatize a new way of seeing things that helps get you out of ruts you have maintained over the years? Drs. Padesky and Greenberger give you practice in learning how to make sense of your moods, to identify your own irrational thinking and to base your thinking fully on facts. They even give you a means to challenge old thinking patterns that you developed as a child. I saw Dr. Padesky demonstate these skills at a cognitive therapy conference. I walked away very impressed with her warm, sincere, knowledgeable, creative and rational approach to helping people change. I am delighted to recommend this workbook.
on September 23, 2013
Don't get me wrong, I'm sure they've sold millions of copies for good reasons. If you're not a very self-motivated individual (especially when suffering from depression/anxiety) then this book may not be as useful as you'd want it to be. It's great for reference I guess. But I truly believe CBT is much more successful when done with a Therapist.
on November 29, 2014
Really helped me with post partum depression and my general anxiety long with panic attacks. Helped me understand my negative thoughts and feelings and to get out of my negative cycles. I would recommend this to anyone! I love the exercises this book has for u. Its like a counsellor on it own.
on March 24, 2016
This is an excellent tool for anyone working in the helping profession. The activities are simple and allow individuals you are working with to easily dissect their thought process and see it visually on paper. The activities are also a great maintenance tool to keep clients on track until your next appointment.
on August 30, 2016
I purchased this book to practice on my own, I first used this book in therapy and decided to get a copy to use on my own. I find the exercises helpful especially if you make an effort to practice it. It can take a bit of motivation to actually use it but if you make the effort it's worth it! The paper is pretty thin so it's better to use a pencil to fill it in as it can come through on the other page.