Echo Dot countdown boutiques-francophones Introducing Fire TV Stick Basic Edition WFM Furniture Kindle Paperwhite Explore the Vinyl LP Records Store sports Tools

on November 19, 2017
Some very good points are made in this book. It doesn't read like a book, more like an academic coles notes or something with a lot of research. Her approach is difficult to implement and I am disappointed she is pushing the alcat test on her website as it is ridiculously priced and is not very reliable. I value the section of the book on what to substitute in recipes when you have food sensitivities or allergies.
Books that I have enjoyed a bit more are "Goodbye Lupus" by Dr Goldner and "The Immune System Recovery Plan" by Susan Bloom. That being said, this was still a useful book for me and I still refer to it.
on April 6, 2013
I purchased this book based on the many positive reviews I read here. I agree, it's a great book, especially for someone who has never read anything regarding nutrition and its effects on health, and most especially for those who are highly allergic to various foods (although I'm hardly an expert, I am wondering if an all alcaline diet would accomplish the same thing). For me personally, I wish it was ...well...more organized? differently organized? - way too many references to find this here and that there, and the same reference again and again and again elsewhere, something which you could probably find in the index. A cover page per chapter with subtitles might help. That being said, I do, of course, find much of it useful.
on August 22, 2017
Informative book. Recommend if looking for nutritional/alternative ways for dealing with arthritis/autoimmune problems.
on August 9, 2014
I think the methods described are just too hard to follow.
on August 18, 2014
Help !!!
Please e-mail it again, It has disappeared from my computer. Asking several times,- NO RESPONCE!!!
on July 22, 2003
After reading Conquering Arthritis What Doctors Won't Tell You Because They Don't Know, I was so impressed by the amount of research, knowledge and the manner it was presented that for the first time in my life I decided to go on a fast. The steps are easy to follow and the background data that explains the rational is a nice touch.
That is only one of the reasons I recommend this book. It answers many questions, not only for the arthritis patient, but the patient's family as well. GREAT BOOK!
on May 19, 2003
I have had ankylosing spondylitis (an auto-immune form of arthritis somewhat different than the author's) for 25 years and have spent the last 15 years exploring a variety of alternative healing modalities to deal with arthritis pain. Through my own exploration and dedication to healing, I have been able to manage my pain without prescription drugs for most of that time, yet the arthritis has continued to define much of the circumstances of my life. I read Allan's book 6 months ago at the suggestion of a friend and have been amazed to find how much I have learned despite my own extensive explorations in this arena. This book has helped me take my healing to a new level, assisting me with defining key triggers and inspiring me toward a new vision of health.
What impresses me most is that my own arthritis is different enough from Allan's that her techniques do not apply directly to my situation--and yet the example of her experience has provided me with crucial insights that have helped me discover my own answers. What Allan has discovered (and documented superbly) about food sensitivities is applicable to my own sensitivities to such factors as stress and relational dynamics. Furthermore, while the fasting process did not serve to identify food sensitivities in my case, it deepened my understanding of my body and the healing process in significant ways.
Chronic pain, by it's nature, becomes something we too often learn to adapt to and live with, something we begin to define as normal. After a bad bout with my arthritis, it is always amazing to me to rediscover the freedom of being pain free and the joy of moving my body with flexibility and grace. Allan's book provides the knowledge, approach, and vision to turn the tide so that such moments come ever more strongly into being. She takes the chronic out of pain, reminding us that it is the nature of life to change and it is the nature of humans to rise to the challenge.
I remember Barbara's intense pain, her grimacing, her cries of pain...her being carried up stairs...the big cushion donuts on her pens so she could hold them...the homemade port-a-potty on the first floor of the house...the electrical cart...taking apart the electrical cart and putting it in the trunk...putting together the electrical cart...the research papers she studied...quinoa grain.... Make no mistake but that Barbara was an invalid. She was in great pain. She was placed on what would have been a lifetime of pain management. But she didn't accept that. She didn't give up. She believed there was an answer, and she set out using her background as a scientist in molecular biology to investigate possible cures one by one. This did not happen overnight, but using her extreme strength of character and intelligence (simultaneously with her pain) Barbara persevered in her own healing.

The juice fast yielded dramatic results. IT WAS A MIRACLE. The pain was gone. Of course it reappeared as Barbara ate allergens (foods to which she was allergic, including corn and wheat products), but she gradually identified all of her food allergens and removed them from her diet. Then, in time, she discovered how to cure herself of the food allergies, and today she can eat anything. And she narrates the techniques on how she did all of this in her book.
But she did not stop there with her healing. When she was fully recovered and bicycling on those long trips with the St. Louis bike club, she thought of all the stuff she had learned. She could have just gone on with her life arthritis-free, but she thought of all the other people similarly suffering from arthritis, who were facing a lifetime filled with pain and pain management. If these techniques and knowledge helped her, they could help others. Others needed this same information and were not getting it. She wished she had had this information available to her when she needed it. Again, Barbara disciplined herself, and she put her research and experience down in book form so it could be accessible to help others.
For people with rheumatoid arthritis (and certain other autoimmune diseases), Barbara wrote this book for you. Barbara conquered her suffering and will not spend a lifetime "managing pain." You can do the same. Yes, it does take some effort to juice fast and follow her other techniques, but the results can be miraculous. The book is literally stuffed full of information, and Barbara uses easy-to-understand language in her book. It is a book of personal experience, and her care and concern for others comes through on the pages. Barbara dedicated the book to everyone suffering from arthritis. I repeat her words: "May it help others find their own way back to health."
on May 14, 2003
Barbara Allan has taken a lot of time out of her busy shedule because she felt that this book "Conquering Arthritis" needed to be written so that other people would not have to suffer the way that she had. It took her years of research and trial and error to get well, but with all her knowledge and experience set down in the clear concise form she uses, it should not be difficult for anyone to follow her example and heal themselves from food allergies and arthritis. As her proud mother, I have shared this book with many friends. Quite a few
have come back to tell me, "hey, I don't have arthritis yet, but there is so much good information on healthy living in this book, I have been inspired to live and eat by it. I already feel better and hopefully I'll never get arthritis!"
Barbara has been very meticulous in putting this book together. She has shared her expertise in every aspect of the illness from how to diagnose the food allergies, how to deal with the pain to how to travel and eat in restaurants while suffering from food allergies. Her recipes are good too!
I hope this book helps a lot of people lead healthier lives!!!
on December 7, 2003
I cannot express what a blessing this book is in our lives. My husband's arthritis began at only 22 years of age and it was progressing fast. No one in my family has this disease and I did not know where to turn except a specialist. We saw a specialist for a few years, and I always asked was there nothing more we could do to cure the arthritis? I could not believe that he would have to be on medication for the rest of his life. Since he was in his early twenties, this would mean years and years of constant, daily medication. Of course this would eventually mean problems with other parts of his body due to medication intake. I still did not know where to go to find a cure rather than just an immune supressant. Then, he came home one day after an appointment with his doctor involving a new set of x-rays. He was now being told that his bones were starting to be eaten away and bones in his left hand had most likely fused together. He was still only 27 at this point! I could not imagine what permanent consequences would come over the next years and I could see him not being able to play with our little boy or do anything with his hands in the future. This pushed me to stop at nothing to find the cure. I knew it had to be out there, but where? After tons of research and reading, I found the cure!!! I cannot begin to express my thanks to the author and her research and her sharing with the world. I just can't understand why the medical community does not know, or if they know, why they don't share the knowledge. My husband is in college and this very night was studying Rheumatoid Arthritis in his anatomy class. They have NO information on how diet and food sensitivities can cause RA and they state they know of no cure or really good medications. It just blows me away that millions of people suffer when the cure is out there, available, and really not difficult. If you or someone you know has RA, please get a hold of this book! I was unsure about the cost, but boy am I glad I tried it out anyhow! We found that corn is his sensitivity, which makes cooking a little more tricky at first, but once we figured out what he can and cannot eat, we are doing great! It took a little effort in the beginning to find the ingredients that will work, and we had to adjust recipes, but he eats totally normal. In fact, we all eat more healthy now. And I don't mean bran and tasteless food. We eat everything we ate before, but now it is fresh and from scratch. He has been off ALL medication for almost 6 months now and we are on our way to complete recovery. His right hand is totally normal now, and we are soon going to try the recommended trigger point method to fix his "fusion". The info here WORKS!!!!!! It takes dedication and a short lifestyle adjustment, but what a blessing everything in this book has been. An answer to many prayers! THANK YOU!!!