countdown boutiques-francophones SubscribeAndSave home Kindle Explore the Amazon.ca Vinyl LP Records Store sports Tools

Showing 1-10 of 12 reviews(3 star). See all 200 reviews
TOP 500 REVIEWERon November 14, 2009
My husband and I both read this book with different reactions.

The book claims that you won't need willpower to quit, but what he really means is that willpower alone won't do it: you also need to change your attitude about smoking and adopt the mentality of a non-smoker, i.e. someone who never got hooked and finds smoking appalling.

I was already 150% committed to quitting, had already come up with most of Allen's arguments on my own, and reading the book was a great confirmation of my decision. All the previous times I tried quitting, it was because I "should" and not because I "wanted to." That's what truly made this time different: I truly wanted to be free.

My quitting gave my husband motivation to quit too, so he read the book after me.

He has been a smoker much longer than me and was much more "brainwashed" (as Allen puts it) into believing he enjoys smoking. But I'm pretty sure that when it's -40 outside and he's shivering through a cigarette, he would much rather be a non-smoker. But the satisfaction he gets from relieving his morning nicotine fix is enough to give him the illusion that he really enjoys smoking, at least sometimes.

Bottom line: If you've made up your mind and you're determined to quit, this book can definitely help get you on track, and help change your thought pattern into seeing quitting as a positive thing. But if you feel like you "should" quit or someone's forcing you to read the book, then Allen will feel like just another nag.

The book is deliberately repetitive: the author starts out by telling us that he quit because of a hypnotist, and I believe the repetition is his attempt to "hypnotize" the reader. He uses the same phrases over and over so that they stick in your head and pop up when you're thinking about cheating on your commitment.

I'm giving it 3 stars because it does have excellent advice for someone who has already decided to quit, but it definitely won't motivate you if you haven't motivated yourself. And it will only be "easy" if you already know that you hate smoking and you just need that extra boost.
on January 7, 2014
I bought this for my brother but he lost it before he was done reading it. He still smokes but did say the book was excellent and he cut back a lot while reading it. Does it really work? Wondering if I should buy another copy???
on May 13, 2011
Didn't work for me but it worked for my mother. I can tell you that its worth it though, I intend to stop this years and I will certainly succeed and partly because of this book, because the theories in it are still in my head, I just wasn't ready for it. Overall, pretty interesting and fun book to read, new perspective on tobacco, one I've never seen anywhere before!
on February 12, 2013
This book would work better for myself if I could continue reading it, and not just in short spurts. I will continue to try to read it over again, but I have heard that it does work amazingly.
on April 18, 2011
bought this for a friend. she still smokes !!!! probably she really didn't want to quit badly enough.
on April 5, 2016
Did not work for me, but I can definitely see that is written in a way that MIGHT work for you.
on April 12, 2017
A good bargain for the price. Arrived on time as promised.
on March 19, 2017
Works for some people
on September 2, 2016
hasent worked yet
on February 20, 2013
the person who received this book as a gift said that it made him want to smoke more. he actually read it twice.