Echo Spot fd18 boutiques-francophones Introducing Fire TV Stick Basic Edition WFM Furniture Kindle Paperwhite Explore the Amazon.ca Vinyl LP Records Store fd18 Tools

Showing 1-10 of 123 reviews(5 star). See all 171 reviews
on February 26, 2010
A Fine Balance is a book that will stay in my memory forever. I loaned out my first copy and never got it back so I have gotten a second copy and am reading the book again. The writing is excellent and the storytelling is perfect. But these are not the reasons I love the book so much.

What compelled me to read on to the end was to see the triumph of the human ability to love in spite of prejudices that run so deep that thousands of people have died in wars waged to continue prejudice. I also could hardly fathom the degree of suffering that goes into survival for those in the cycle of poverty.

This book is a love story, but not the run of the mill kind. This book is a love story of persons of differing class being willing to put their own life and happiness on the line for someone worse off than themselves. And the love of those with absolutely nothing to give is counted for something, for everything.
on November 20, 2015
One of the best book I ever read. To draw you into the history of the India and the characters was a treat. I felt the pain ; the joy and sadness as I followed the character as they progressed. A must read.
on May 11, 2014
this story touched me so much , it stayed withme long after the last page. The detail in the environment was palpable. the cadte system in India so unfair. every book by this author hasbeen so entertaining but by far this is my favourite...so far, looking forward to more in this vein.
on April 11, 2018
arrived really quick...my wife loves it
on May 25, 2018
One of the best books I have ever read. Excellent.
on January 25, 2015
This is one of the best books I have ever read.
I read it again for the second time, this doesn't happen often that I read a book twice

I enjoyed it as much as the first time. The characters are just like your best friends, you only wish them well,but life isn't always like that!
A very moving and well written story.
He is an amazing writer
on December 26, 2013
The characters are extremely well-drawn; they follow you around well after you've put the book down. This was also a very revealing read for me, detailing life and politics in mid- to late 20th century India. Touching and tragic - I would recommend this book to anyone with an open mind and a kind heart. It will most certainly disappoint you.
on October 18, 2017
My emotions ran rampant with this book! Loved it so much that I purchased it as a gift for some of my friends! Excellent read!
on February 9, 2013
I finally have this book again. Thanks to my brother, he exposed me to this book because he has extraordinary taste in literature. I am so glad that I have it again.
on November 19, 2017
I really enjoyed this book, reading it as I toured in India. It was like riding a roller coaster with my emotions...highs and lows and fast turns.