Echo Spot countdown boutiques-francophones Introducing Fire 7 tablet, starting at $59.99 WFM home Kindle Paperwhite Explore the Amazon.ca Vinyl LP Records Store sports Tools Nintendo Labo is available now

Diary: A Novel
Format: Paperback|Change

Showing 1-10 of 11 reviews(1 star). See all 91 reviews
on October 3, 2003
Look at the photo of Chuck Palahniuk on the back flap of "Diary," his new novel. The prospective reader can see a man who's confident in his talent, but unpretentious and affable--the face of a popular contemporary writer who is not full of himself. But what can also be seen is a facial expression that signifies a disappointed, even apologetic look, almost as if he's telepathically communicating to us: "I'm really sorry about this. I promise my next book will be better."
I should've realized this earlier and heeded the man's psychic advice.
As a fan of Palahniuk's prose (though I don't care much for his third-act narrative twists), I was, of course, happy to discover his new novel...and was considerably less happy once I battled through the printed anasthesia of this book. If this marks Palahniuk's initiation into the much-coveted "2-tome-a-year" club, it's not an encouraging sign for his future output. "Diary" is a novel stripped of the author's wit and satire, which is traded for a mostly sober tone, and the effect this has on the narrative is stultifying ("Just for the record, today's weather calls for a $25 paperweight with scattered passages of inspiration"). It's a novel filled with unexciting characters who do kooky things that fail to arouse much interest. The plot rips off a good (but forgotten) horror film from the 1980s called "Dead & Buried", but is rendered with a flatness that makes it a chore to read. After an extremely boring first half, Palahniuk manages a few glimmers of his humor and 'matter-of-fact' commentary, before diving into banality that persists until the very last page. Is there a narrative twist in the third act this time around? Dulled by the experience of reading this, I could hardly tell--that's how bad "Diary" is.
on September 30, 2003
Reading this book is a bit like being repeatedly clubbed on the head, and I don't mean that as a compliment. If you are going to repeat the same sentence twenty times, at least pick a good one. Also irritating is Palahniuk's penchant for displaying his dimestore erudition, especially since he makes several rather glaring factual errors. If you are looking for a good book about painting, take a look at Maugham's "The Moon and Sixpence" or Robertson Davies' "What's Bred in the Bone." (Robertson Davies also actually knows how to do research.) Don't bother with this crap.
on June 7, 2017
I'm a big fan of Palahniuk's writing, and I have several of his novels. This is by far the worst one I have read. It had my attention at first, but the story is quite predictable. I just felt bored reading this, and I was left wondering why it is so highly praised.
on January 11, 2004
For those browsing through all of these reviews here and looking at the surprising number of poor reviews for it, I just wanted to post a quick review to add my agreement that this is easily Chuck's worst book and also probably one of the worst books I've ever read.
Please understand that I am a huge fan of Chuck Palahniuk. I live in the Portland area and never miss him when I have a chance to go and see him talk and sign, and I have read all of his books. My favorites are Fight Club, Survivor, Fugitives And Refugees and Lullaby...I'm not a huge fan of Invisible Monsters or Choke but they both have their unique charms and are entirely readable. He's a talented writer and an all-around great guy, but if this book had been his first then nobody would know who he was. In fact, I would go so far as to say he never would have been published.
This book, from start to finish, is BARELY readable. Just to make it as straightforward as possible, I'll organize my major problems with the book point by point...(It's worth noting that the remainder of this review contains very minor spoilers...I'll keep them as light as possible)
-The book is really poorly organized. While I do appreciate an author's need to try different things and push the boundaries of their craft, Diary turns out to be a case study in why your Fiction Writing 101 teacher told you to never, ever change perspective mid-story. Once you have a perspective established, you stick to it. From sentence to sentence (for the first 3/4 of the book, anyway, a point at which Chuck seems to forget about what he was trying to do or just stops caring, and switches almost entirely to 3rd person), perspective changes back and forth...often, statements are repeated to the point of redundancy from different perspectives. It makes for a fairly jarring (and boring) reading experience.
-I got the impression several times that Chuck was trying to tell two stories at the same time, and the result is a confusing mess. On the one hand, we have the very genuine mourning and depression of Misty Marie, who is trying to recover from some very serious traumatic events that happened off-stage before the start of the book. On the other, we have the absolutely ridiculous "fairy tale" aspect of Waytansea island. The theme of both of these stories clashes horribly, never really meshing and never really working.
-Speaking of the fairy tale bits...these tend to dominate the latter half of the book. Chuck stretches way, way beyond reasonable expectations for the reader to suspend disbelief. When you finally get to the point of the book when the revelations begin to trickle down, and the protagonist tries desperately to fight against what's happening to her, you'll be saying "Give me a break!" more often than you'd probably like. Virtually everything that happens once we get into the climax doesn't make any sense at all. I am sorely tempted to point out specific examples, so ridiculous, unbelievable and poorly constructed/thought-out are the climactic events of the book, but I hate heavy spoilers in reviews so I'll restrain myself.
-The ending. THE ENDING. The last five or ten pages of this book, ESPECIALLY the last page, has got to be the dumbest, most derivative ending I've ever sat through. What a COP-OUT!!! I'll just say this: if you DO pick up this book, you're going to go through it hoping that, on some level, Palahniuk is going to deliver at some point...turn things around. All you will feel after reading that incredibly stupid final page will be disappointment, frustration and anger at yourself for sticking with it for no reason. There ain't no pay-off, folks!
What isn't a confusing mess or a bizarre and stupid "curse" story is paint-by-numbers Palahniuk that any one of his fans could throw together without any help from the author. You've got your heavily repeated statements to drive his point home. His over-eagerness to share useless trivia he acquired while researching the book. His fragmented sentences and overly short chapter breaks. All things that are charming and amusing in his other books, but here they feel forced and pointless. It's almost as though Palahniuk is satirizing himself.
In short, what we have here is easily the worst of Palahniuk books, and also one of the lamest ducks in modern American literature. If you're a Palahniuk fan, you've probably already read it and drawn your conclusions. If you've never read him before, or you aren't a fan of the man's entire catalog, avoid at all costs! ANY of Palahniuk's other work stands head and shoulders above this drudgery!
on November 5, 2003
Chuck can usually make even the most derivative plot cliches seem fresh (a poem that kills people when you read it out loud, anyone?), and his sharp, acerbic writing style more than masks his thin plotting, but Diary is uninspired and pointless. Gone is his astute social commentary, gone is the wit and humor, gone are the twisty plot developments. All we have left here are a few undeveloped ideas and a story that goes nowhere interesting. It reads like Stephen King during his alcoholic phase and doesn't even bother to build to a climax. If you want a recommendation, read Lullaby instead, which at least went for broke in its bleak nihilism and had more than a few moments of inspired brilliance.
on September 2, 2003
As if the blatant references to "Rosemary's Baby" and even the NBC TV movie "Bay Coven," which starred Susan Rutan of "LA Law" fame, weren't enough! Does Palahniuk really need to add to the mix a lapsed Thomas Kinciad-esque painter/single mother who goes out of her way to ignore obvious signs of sketchiness? If you can forgive the author his lame-brained life insurance policy scheme, an unexplained father in law, a "heroine" with a penchant for gaudy costume jewelry, and other simplistic plot/character devices, this book might be for you. But don't think too hard...the story completely falls apart if you give it a second thought. At best--and at worst--its an amateurish look at materialism/consumerism through the eyes of yet another (potentially) unreliable narrator.
on October 29, 2003
This is by far the WORST book I've read in a long, long, long time. I honestly am not trying to be a naysayer. I am not trolling or writing a bad review of Palahniuk's "Diary" because I enjoy spreading misery and negativity. I don't. I came into this novel with little to no expectations. I enjoyed the movie adaptation of "Fight Club," and so figured that I would give Palahniuk a shot when I saw "Diary" at my local library. Don't get me wrong, the novel started out interestingly enough, but the thing began to unravel around the halfway point, strained by too much hapless coincidence, too many deus ex machinas, and, let's face it, the lack of a truly compelling story. Thereon it gets worse. Characters that had some tiny bit of dimensionality quickly became static, 2 dimensional horror / mystery novel cliches. The entire last half of the novel simply reeked of "Rosemary's Baby," but far, far less interesting and esoteric.
I honestly can't believe a publisher touched this manuscript, let alone published it. Mr. Palahniuk should be be fined exorbitantly for doing such a disservice to not only the horror / mystery genre, but to the art of novels as a whole! It certainly seems that he has succumbed to the dreaded disease of Stephen-King-itis, the major symptom being the belief that because of one's mainstream celebrity, one can write the most pure and undiluted slop and expect the reading public to eat it up unquestioningly.
Unfortunately, based on some of the reviews I've read concerning this book on amazon.com, it seems that the reading public DOES eat up this slop, and praise it as genius on top of that!, which cyclically feeds the fire and results in the production of even more slop.
End this vicious cycle! Steer clear from this book!
on September 24, 2003
This was possibly the worst book I have ever read. Against better judgement, having read "Choke" by Palahaniuk, I snatched this book from the shelf because of what seemed like a good plot. From the first page, I found myself bored with the diary of a hysterical wife who drools on about her pittiful existance. Palahaniuk takes a huge break from reality with a bizarre story that the reader assumes will tie itself together at the end but fails to do so.
on October 6, 2003
I have no idea how this book has maintained an overall rating of 4 stars. It is easily his worst book. I loved the ALL of Chuck's prior work. It read like he was forced to write this at gun point. I couldn't have been less interested in the story or characters. I kept hoping for a chuck-type twist that would make my time reading the book worthwhile. Sorry, didn't happen. Don't buy it.
on June 13, 2004
Like all the other fans, I have read every other Chuck novel, and liked them, each in their own way (Invisible Monsters is by far my favorite). Like them, I was waiting desperately for a twist that would make Diary at least a 3 star novel... it never came. I bought this novel when it first came out, as soon as it hit the shelves... from now on, I'll wait for paperback.