countdown boutiques-francophones Learn more vpcflyout Home All-New Kindle Music Deals Store sports Tools Registry

Format: Paperback|Change

on March 19, 2012
I often critisized Frank Miller's depiction of Batman. People calling this "one of the greatest Batman Graphic novels of all time" often confused me considering no main villain such as The Joker, Two-Face, The Riddler, Clayface, The Mad Hatter, or Scarecrow was included. Though, after much hesitation I read it. It became apparent to me after a few pages that this truly was a work of art. The text flows beautifully, word after word. Though I do not consider it 'the best' Batman graphic novel, I do hold it in high regard and can safely claim that this is a must buy for any Batman fan.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon May 30, 2014
A really good tale of Bruce Wayne just starting out to be Batman. This isn't your high octane super villain based storyline most are accustomed to from modern day Batman books. To be completely fair, the book mostly focuses on Jim Gordon and his arrival and climb through the Gotham Police Department. Learning, and slowly dealing with the corrupt nature of the city (which we know never really goes away). Overall a really good story about Jim Gordan and Batman still learning how to be Batman. Just wasn't 5 stars because it didn't blow me away, but definitely worth the read.
on August 5, 2014
This book is just awesome. If you're a fan of Miller, or Batman, you really have to read this.

Artwork - gritty and old school but it's very fitting for the story.

The writing is amazing and it really fleshes out the Batman origin story in a new light. This should really be a must-read on any Batman fan's reading list!
on October 29, 2015
I loved the story and I liked the art too. It is the same style that can be found in The Dark Knight Returns ( if you have read it ). if you have any doubt about the art then just be known that the story will more than make up for it. It is a very good story that shows you many things about batman and the universe as a whole.

I would highly recommend this to any batman fan
on March 20, 2016
The writing is very good, but unfortunately I did not like the illustrations at all. They seemed to be quick sketches of characters at times which decreased my enjoyment. However, if you liked it then I would recommend buying "The Long Halloween" as well since it's its sequel.
TOP 50 REVIEWERon September 23, 2013
As usual with great graphic novels, I'm late to the party again.

BATMAN: YEAR ONE is as the title states, the beginning of Batman's origins.

But, and this is a big but, this is also a deep look into the life of Gotham City's new police chief, Gordon, his wife and new baby, the corrupt city he's now charged with policing and the complicated relationship he has with his lieutenant officer.

This is not the kiddie Batman of my youth.

****

Frank Miller writes in very complex but intriguing terms. The story is understandable by human terms and not supernatural in comic book terms. Batman is equal in terms of his complexity as Gordon and Gotham City is. Bruce is conflicted and tormented by the events of his youth and you see clearly how he fights off his demons.

You also follow how the events of the city and its corrupt officials try desperately to hold on to the mechanisms that keep them in power but puts them at odds with Gordon and subsequently Batman.

The illustrations are one that I'm most relieved with. Having recently read, "The Dark Knight Returns," and being GREATLY disappointed with the illustrative work of Klaus Janson, YEAR ONE has an illustrator who gets it: David Mazzucchelli gets it. (If it weren't for the masterful storytelling of Miller, DARK KNIGHT would have been an epic fail.

This was a perfect collaboration to say the least.

BATMAN: YEAR ONE is a stellar piece of work and most definitely a work of art.
on March 28, 2016
This is a MUST read for any Batman fan. The story is beautifully written and the artwork is superb. I mostly read DC comics, Vertigo in particular (Sandman is a masterpiece), and I often find myself looking for comics that will stimulate me and make me question myself or the world around me. I loved how Frank Miller developed Batman and Gordon's personas! I also saw the movie and it was fantastic and a great addition to the comic book. For any Batman fan, or anyone who'd like to read a graphic novel for entertainment, this is it!
on December 13, 2012
I think this is a Modern Classic

It is the essential introduction to Batman and his world

I believe this was one of the books the Nolans drew on for inspiration.

Need I say More?
on June 18, 2014
If you are new to Batman this is the best place to start. Frank Miller's influential, quintessential (timeless & ageless) classic Batman origin story. Christopher Nolan referenced this graphic novel heavily for his Batman Begins [Blu-ray] (Bilingual). Still one of the top Batman story for me. If you are interested in a more recent interpretation check out Scott Snyder's Batman Vol. 1: The Court of Owls (The New 52) and Batman Vol. 4: Zero Year-Secret City (The New 52)
on October 5, 2014
Really good book. But I have a few issues with it. One of the issues I have with this graphic novel is that it's too short, I expected the story to go at a slow pace but instead it went pretty quick. Another issue is that it's not really about batman, it's more like a story about commissioner Gordon. But even with those issues it's still one of the best graphic novel out there.