countdown boutiques-francophones Learn more vpcflyout All-New Kindle home Music Deals Store sports tools Registry

Format: Paperback|Change

on August 1, 2013
This book REALLY makes you think about eternal life and the things we do on earth to others, good or bad. I recommend this to anyone who needs a "wake-up" call. Actually, we ALL need a wake-up call! VERY interesting book! I love ALL of Mitch Albom's books.
on March 19, 2014
Shows the reader that what our lives are now or what we do with with our lives and the people we meet through our lives play an important role when we go back home. Sure opens your mind and makes you realize that what we do here makes a differenice. Highly recommend
on December 23, 2012
I love the unexpected. My friend sent me this book and then I bought one to share with others. 8 of my peeps have read it now.
They are wonderfully educated people, all of them. What they don't know is, I'm having them all over in a month to talk about this book. Let's see what they recall 2 months later! Interesting book and I'm sure it will make for an interesting evening of perceptions. Thanks Mitch!
on December 26, 2014
Mom and others passionate about this book were right that I’d appreciate it. Without animals, it couldn’t be a tearjerker for me. I wanted to behold Heaven’s final domain but what it entails is memorable. Our own relatives can raise a ruckus discussing the Afterlife. I applaud that this author published his ideas bravely. Genuine spirituality isn’t about a church. It’s about goodness and understanding our worth. Mitch Albom dedicates his book to his blue-collar uncle. We follow a maintenance man who wished his career had surpassed his hometown carnival. Circumstances detained him and when his wife died at age forty-nine, he lacked the zest to strive.

The author’s foreword summarized best: part of Heaven’s purpose is to learn how much we mattered in physical life. It was touching to see the joy, generations of memories, and safety that this maintenance veteran held on his shoulders. I can enjoy a book for what it is, even if it doesn’t cover what I expected. Instead of our eternal rest: “The Five People You Meet In Heaven” is about our orientation into Heaven. To my surprise, you don’t necessarily know the people, or they aren’t the favourites you would choose as greeters and educators. You have a connection in some poignant way, such as the lady for whom ‘Ruby Pier’s Fairground’ was named. Some greeters were linked to Eddie’s death or he to theirs. After these revelations, we retire somewhere blissful.

This was neatly laid out in pivotal moments, usually birthdays, followed by an educator explaining their meaning. I note one misrepresented portion. Eddie wasn’t at fault in the controversial event. It was those who dragged him out. However that day was responsible for his most deeply-suppressed doubt and I see why people cried over it. I will cherish Mitch’s empowering message.
on May 3, 2013
This story may be fiction, but it's extremely entertaining. The main character continually learns from the beginning of the story through the end of the story, and helps you think about things through a positive way, even through death.
on July 24, 2013
Whatever any of us imagine about the afterlife, it is speculation. Our assessment of our own lives as well is incomplete and likely inaccurate. This book beautifully opens the heart and mind to greater possibilities in the "here and now" as well as the "then and there".
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon November 15, 2012
It has been some time since I've been so deeply and profoundly moved by a novel, indeed moved to a shattered state and uncontrolled weeping. The Five People You Meet in Heaven is not only a subtle, deftly crafted novel that deals with the ambiguities and silent secrets ordinary people carry with them, like burdens or crutches, but a clear insight into motivation, cause and effect.

The story follows a relatively simple narrative, employing a relatively simple style. No flash and dazzle here. But it is in the deception of simplicity that Mitch Albom creates the complexities in which humans chain themselves.

We follow the life of Eddie, an aged maintenance man at an amusement park, who believes himself trapped by his wartime disabilities, and by his inability to confront his father. The story begins, as Albom puts it, at the end, in this case the end of Eddie's life.

What unfolds is a story of redemption and discovery, and in the end of reconciliation and peace. It is a very human story. Any lover, any friend, any child and any parent will find common cause in this story, will nod, will identify.

I believe The Five People You Meet in Heaven will remain on the shelves of classic literature for generations to come.

Highly recommended.
on February 22, 2016
A profound story about a man who learns the meaning of his life after he has passed on by the five people you meet in heaven and their five lessons...

1. "That there are no random acts. That we are all connected"
2. "We think that hating is a weapon .. but hatred is a curved blade"
3. "When you sacrifice something precious, you're not really losing it. You're just passing it on to someone else"
4. "Life has to end.. Love doesn't"
5. "You are right where you need to be doing the things you need to do"

My conclusion after reading this book is that perhaps if we practice the principles of Oneness, Forgiveness, Sacrifice, Love and being Present, that we can live of a life in the heavens right here on earth. KJ
on March 10, 2012
(...)Hmm. It is not as cheesy I thought it could be, and not as life changing as many make it out to be. There are a few ideas that are beautiful and could have been exploited, as well as quotation material that could have been brought farther with a bit more imagination. I'm not saying Mitch is not imaginative, he is just not as imaginative as he could be, which leads to a bit of boredom for a reader like me who' is looking for challenges.
All the way through I kept waiting for that wonderful momentum, the paroxysm where you discover that everything was actually a lot more intricate than it initially had appeared to be, whilst all is being revealed to you, leaving your heart content or there to debate the choice of the author. Not the case. The climax comes early, as I believe that the people that Eddie meets at the beginning are far more interesting and wise than the ones met at the end.
The voice of Eddie is extremely annoying (Thank you Mitch for having other characters speak, nice breaks they were). It took stubbornness on my part to get through to the end. Mitch explains the voice as being similar to his uncle's voice, as he wanted to bestow credit to his uncle; he apparently tried very hard to reproduce his uncle''s unique husky strong speech.(...)
To see the rest of the review as well as many more interesting ones go to allwords.ca.
on January 26, 2013
Good stories have a place in my mind and heart.This is one of the most beautiful books about man's pilgrimage through life. The plot is amazing. I hold that nobody can say for certain what his/her purpose in life is or whether ones' purpose had been achieved when the person dies. Still it is good for us to remember the troubles of our life, recollect the memories of things, judge the impact they had on those around us or on humanity as a whole, and determine whether we achieved what we've been trying to find out in life. Life's meaning is unveiled for us to understand in this book. This is a positively inspiring book. It reminds me of The Usurper and Other Stories, where the narrator had to whisk off a living soul to the world beyond for judgment.

Overall, the style is unique and the writer is plain brilliant. The book deserves all the rave reviews it has been getting. I am glad mine is one of them.