countdown boutiques-francophones SubscribeAndSave home Kindle Explore the Amazon.ca Vinyl LP Records Store sports tools

2,845

on February 2, 2017
It's rare that a book series can appeal to children and adults alike in such a visceral sense, but Harry Potter is a series for all ages. The books have it all; humour, heartbreak, loss, love, adventure, ethics, philosophy, and of course... magic.

I read these after having seen all the films many years before, and wasn't sure I would enjoy reading the Harry Potter series since it's often hard to read a series after seeing a film or television adaptation. I'm SO glad I did - there is just so much more to each story tucked away in each book... whole plots left out of the films, whole characters missing. I can still watch the movies and enjoy them for what they are (a magical rendition of the world itself), but if you haven't read the books you're missing out on incredibly rich texture and indeed lots of information.
on January 9, 2007
This boxed set allows you to buy the first six paperbooks in the Harry Potter series at a very reasonable price. I think buying it is a good idea for:

a- those who want to give their kids/friends (or even themselves) a great gift at a very good price --> due to the fact that you will give 6 books at the price that some bookstores sell one.

b- those who are very lazy --> because it is almost certain that if you buy the first book for yourself or your children, you will end up at the same bookstore buying the other books in the series. Buying the first 6 books at the same time will save you time and money, and you will only have to return later to buy book number 7.

c- those who want to read a book that their kids will love, but that they will like to, and turn the fact that they are reading the series into a family experience.

d- those who want to motivate their children to read --> because reading Harry Potter will make them understand that there are books can offer them some things that the television cannot. If your children just hate the idea of reading, show them one of the movies based on the series, and afterwards tell them that the books have a lot to do with them, but that they are way better.

e- those who are learning English, and want to practise it in a entertaining way. And what better way to improve your grammar that reading something that is actually fun?.

f- those who aren't from an English speaking country, already have the books but want to read them in the language Rowlings wrote them --> because the reading experience is totally different (and yes, I know because I read some of the books both in Spanish, Italian and English).

g- those who are curious about the series but haven't given it a try --> because this series really grows on you, and it gets better and better, specially after book number 3.

After telling you about all the reasons why buying this boxset is a good idea, I would like to talk a little more about point g- because that was my case some years ago, even though I wasn't lucky enough to get my hands on a boxset. First, though, I would like to comment upon the fact that I know very few people who haven't liked the first book, and that have given up after a few chapters. I don't know anybody that has given up after reading the first 3 books. Yes, the first 2 books are very simple and short, but they help to set up the parallel world J.K. Rowlings is writing about. The 3rd book already shows a great promise of how the series are going to be like.

In my case, I bought the first 4 books at the same time, a Saturday afternoon. I read the first 2 books ("Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone" and "Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets") rather quickly, and wondered why everybody including my sister loved them so much. They weren't long, and they were rather good, but nothing out of the ordinary. It is only while I was reading the 3rd book ("Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban"), that very same night, that I understood what the hype was all about. Even though when I finished it it was high time to go to bed, I couldn't help but starting the 4th book ("Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire"), even though I was tired, and it really was much bigger than the others. It also was much more entertaining, and noticeably more complicated. Understandably (for those who have read these books, at least), I started reading it and couldn't stop until Sunday's afternoon. I was tired, but very happy of having discovered the magic, something I wouldn't have done if I had stopped after reading the first two books...

From that point onwards, I have been a "pottermaniac". I've read all the books in the series, and I thoroughly enjoy them. Yes, I like other kinds of books too, and I'm an adult with a degree in Political Science, but that doesn't mean that I cannot find these books engaging. One of the wonderful things about the Harry Potter series is that very diverse people can like it, for very different reasons. Despite that, all readers have something special, the ability to share the magic. Be one of us, and have fun :)

Belen Alcat
on August 1, 2014
I just love the covers of these books. They have this relly nice matte feeling to them and are much lighter than the hardcover Harry Potter editions. One reviewer mentioned that the font was smaller, but I held it up to the original cover books as well as the adult cover and they were all pretty well the exact same font type, font spacing, and font size. Would definitely reccomend.
on January 16, 2016
Everyone knows these are great books content wise and so this review is more about this specific edition than anything else. The books come in an awesome box, safely packed in and is adorned with some of the cover art. Speaking of the cover art, it is gorgeous. Although this series was originally intended for children, as an adult fan of HP, I couldn't be happier with the presentation of it all. The books themselves are of a solid quality, being hardcover. I'd recomend this set for/to children and adults alike as the pictures can even enhance the spooky or ominous feelings that come with another year of danger at Hogwarts for young readers, and adults can just admire the beautiful art.
on January 24, 2013
Couldn't have asked for better service. Ordered it from Canada as suggested by others rather than from the UK. It arrived quickly, undamaged, and at a lower price. Won't hesitate to go this route again.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon December 1, 2016
The first 7 classic Harry Potter tales, in one beautiful box set. Our daughter is an avid reader, and will be very excited to delve into this series at Christmas. You can't beat the Amazon price, very competitive!
on May 28, 2013
I read this book aloud to my children. It was won a number of literary awards, including: 2008 Mythopoeic Fantasy Award for Children's Literature, 1999 British Book Award, 1999 Smarties Prize, and 1999 Booklist Editors' Choice.

At the start of the book, 12 year-old Harry is eagerly awaiting his return for his second year at Hogwarts. The Dursleys are hosting an important dinner for Mr. Dursley’s boss and his wife, Mr. and Mrs. Mason, and Harry is supposed to remain out of sight so as not to embarrass them. Upon his return to his room, he finds a strange elf named Dobby who has come to warn Harry not to return to Hogwarts. When Harry finds out that Dobby has been stealing the letters from Ron and Hermione meant for Harry, he is furious. Dobby makes trouble for Harry and uses magic to send Mrs. Dursley’s dessert crashing to the floor and a furious Mr. Dursley forbids Harry from ever returning to Hogwarts. He installs iron grates over the window and takes away his magic books and wand and locks them up in the cupboard under the stairs. Poor Harry! Good thing that Ron and his twin brothers steal their father’s magical car and use it to tear the grate from the window and rescue Harry!

Harry stays with the Weasleys until school starts, and Dobby tries to prevent Harry from getting aboard the Hogwarts train by sealing the magical passageway to Platform Nine and Three-Quarters. The quick-thinking boys use Mr. Weasley’s car again to get to Hogwarts, although not without consequences!

The newness of Hogwarts still hasn’t rubbed off for me. I found it just as magical as the first book in the series, Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone. In this installment, we are introduced to the new Defence Against the Dark Arts teacher, Gilderoy Lockhart. The women all swoon over this man, who has authored many books that recount his magical escapades. The book is a bit darker than the series debut, and Harry keeps hearing a chilling voice who whispers murderous words. Victims are becoming petrified, essentially turning into statues, and it seems to have to do with a Chamber of Secrets that was opened many years before. The key lies in a mysterious book that falls into Harry’s possession, which was owned by a Hogwarts student named Tom Riddle.

My kids and I absolutely loved this book! It was filled with so much excitement, and it was the highlight of our day to read this at bedtime each night. Even at such a young age, it is easy to see that Harry is becoming a very powerful wizard. I love the whole “good versus evil” tone that Rowling has created.

As was with the first one, I love how Rowling ends off the book with such a touching scene between Dumbledore and Harry. Dumbledore always offers Harry sage insight and treats him with such warmth and love, and I couldn’t help getting misty-eyed.
on January 14, 2015
This is a fantastic set and I'm glad I finally decided to own all of the HP books. I'm not a fan of bright colours in general, but this set caught my eye with its intricate artwork and modern feel. The texture of the covers is quite soft and velvety and is good quality for paperbacks. I'm not too picky on the quality of the pages (I really only care about the content and the general exterior look), but for those who are looking for 'white, smooth and sturdy pages', as opposed to the 'soft, grey and recycled pages' of most paperbacks, this isn't the set for you. Otherwise, I don't see any downside to this product and I was very impressed with how quickly I received it (I ordered on Thursday evening and received the package on Monday morning).
on December 15, 2016
Very happy! Got this on sale for 40% off, which was fantastic as I was planning to buy the set already. Came very quickly, books are of a nice size and heft for paperbacks. I've read these books many times since I was a child, and rereading them is comforting. I grew up with these books, and I'll probably continue rereading them until I'm old and grey.
on August 16, 2016
I'm assuming that anyone reading this review in 2016 is not so much wanting an opinion of Harry Potter, but rather of the product itself. I'm completely satisfied - cover art is attractive and sturdy box corrals them all nicely. Binding seems top notch so far. This was the lowest price I've seen on the complete set.