countdown boutiques-francophones Beauty Furniture Kindle Explore the Amazon.ca Vinyl LP Records Store sports Tools

on April 27, 2017
This book is disappointing. I am about halfway through the book and will likely stop reading. This book seems less about the Camino and more about Hape Kerkeling, which is fine if that is what you're looking for. I wasn't. Kerkeling talks a fair about his history, his rise to fame, his political leanings, and so on. He makes sure the reader knows that in Germany he is a star - something I didn't know until I started reading. We learn he won't sleep in refugios because they're too dirty, crowded, and noisy. He complains about the food and the locals along the trail who support pilgrims. What the reader doesn't hear a whole lot about is the Camino which is too bad since I had hoped the book was about actually hiking the Camino (Kerkeling opts for rides on several occasions).

I am hoping to hike the Camino in the not too distant future and of the several books I have read, this one really didn't give me a sense of the Camino experience at all. If you want to learn about Hape Kerkeling and his story, by all means buy the book. If you want to learn about the Camino and its culture keep looking.
on January 18, 2010
What a great book!

One of Germany's most versatile and in my opinion most lovable comedians for decades, Hape Kerkeling is quite an unlikely fellow to picture on a pilgrimage, of all places... First, one has to come to terms with this strange picture (which you won't have to worry about unless you know his comedy - and most non-German speaking people unfortunately don't).

I had never been interested in reading a book by any celebrity before. But after hearing that this one had ranked #1 on Germany's bestseller list for 100 weeks, I became curious and picked it up (the German version; I hadn't found out at that point that it had been released in English).

I loved it! Partly, I loved it because of the many colourful characters he meets, the landscapes of the Camino he describes in such vivid detail, the many strange experiences/miracles/coincidences (pick one) he encounters. I loved it because he reveals so much of himself, his struggles and his quirks, that you can't help but adore him. But mostly, I loved it because it was very entertaining. Though on a spiritual quest, Hape couldn't turn off the comedian in himself.. and why would he even try, it's his gift.

When I found out that the book had been released in English, I was thrilled! I immediately recommended it to everyone I know.

I recommend it to anyone! And I mean ANYONE! You don't have to be religious to enjoy this book, nor do you have to know Hape - the comedian... You just have to like a good read. You won't be disappointed!
on December 18, 2011
I purchased this book after going to the movie "The Way" with the thought that maybe, just maybe, doing The Camino would be desirable. After reading it, I have totally given up that idea. That's not the fault of the book so much as it is the idea that the last part had big crowds and traffic problems.

The book itself? It is okay. It was entertaining enough to keep me reading, and I did gain some insights- or maybe just discovered the author's insights paralleled my own. If one wants to join in an author's sense of self-discovery, it is good. If one is looking for a book of humour, it is a bit wanting- or else I do not share the author's idea of what is funny. What the book is not is a travel guide to The Camino.
on January 7, 2016
I bought this to read while I was walking the Camino de Santiago myself (I didn't want to read anything/see anything about the Camino beforehand and taint my own experiences). I realise everyone's experience is their own, but I found this to be a bit negative and exaggerated. That being said, you, the person reading this, go walk the Camino. It's incredible!
on April 30, 2015
This is a book with many layers. It is entertaining and seems lighthearted at first glance, but can be quite deep depending on how much thought the reader wants to put into it. It describes a personal adventure, different settings of a pilgrimage in varying landscapes as backdrops and with different characters contributing to a number of personal experiences. I laughed out loud often and fell in to deep thought just as often. Hape Kerkeling is a comedian and as such he addresses a serious subject in a funny way, leaving it up to the readers whether they want to be entertained or take it beyond mere entertainment. I thoroughly enjoyed this book, bought it again as a gift and will definitely read it more than once.
on October 18, 2012
I bought this book for my wife as she is thinking about doing this particular pilgrimage. On holiday I also read the book and found it to be a pleasant light read. The descriptions of the trials and tribulations on this trip were told with the authors tongue firmly plated in his cheek. He also gives people an appreciation of how tough this trip really is. A very enjoyable read.
on June 15, 2015
This book is one of the biggest turds I've ever read. Trying to make it past the fourth chapter just feels like punishment. I only gave it one star because rating something no stars isn't an option.
on January 25, 2017
A cute read. A little superficial but all the same, it seemed like he enjoyed the camino, even though he cheated a few times. I wasn't so impressed by that. It's good to see what the camino offers each pilgrim and to share those stories is a treat. I did the camion in 2010 and it was good to reminisce. The story was well put together. Enjoyed it and recommend it.
on November 8, 2012
This book is an excellent blend of information and story-telling. The easy flow of the book and the way the different personalities are depicted makes you want to keep going and find out more about the events and escapades of the author and those around him on this trip.
on November 24, 2013
I loved this book. It is easy to read and he writes about the good and not so good things on the camino. Anyone who has given a thought of walking the camino should read this and also watch THE WAY.