Echo Spot countdown boutiques-francophones Introducing Fire 7 tablet, starting at $59.99 WFM home Kindle Paperwhite Explore the Amazon.ca Vinyl LP Records Store sports Tools

Before I Go To Sleep
Format: Paperback|Change

on August 31, 2017
Two words - gripping and suspenseful

Loved this book! Who are we but a product of our memories.. This story highlights this concept perfectly and takes the reader on a fast paced psychological mind bender. I was glued to the pages. Fabulous ending and we'll developed plot. Highly recommend.
on August 30, 2016
I loved this book so much. From the first page to the last, I was intrigued and love the plot. A refreshing read full of intense scenes and a message to all women, to be weary of strangers you may meet at cafes. I read it in three days! I highly recommend it.
on May 1, 2013
"Before I Go to Sleep," by S.J. Watson - first of all, I am in the middle of this novel, and am not finished yet. I will write a full review then. I just want to mention a few notes to prospective readers:

Almost everything on this review board is true about this novel. The writing is "pedestrian." The characters are not well-developed. The author does drag on, over-explain, and repeat himself. This is not really a thriller, in the conventional sense, it is more of an aggravating mystery...you want to know what is going on, but you do not really care. It is more of a page-turner because your own brain is trying to figure it out, not because you hope the main character, Christine, will be alright.

This is not an epic, life-changing novel; it is simply a summer-read, a pass-time.

Lastly, I find important to mention that there are sex-scenes in this novel that seem completely random or irrelavent. They simply jump off the page at you and arrest the reading-experience. They are haphazardly inserted into the story, and rather unnecessary. The descritions of sexual activity and appearance of men's (naked) bodies seems very elementary. It does not feel like a woman (main character) would describe it this way.

Just to be aware if you are thinking of reading/purchasing, that there are these random sex-scenes early on in the story, and so far, throughout.

Happy Reading!
on April 18, 2012
I haven't finished a book as quickly as I read "Before I go to sleep". Not every book, even really compelling mysteries, keep you flipping the pages compulsively, all the while thinking "I HAVE TO KNOW WHAT IS GOING ON!"

I had read some reviews which didn't seemed very thrilled, or complained that they figured it all out early on. Well, good for them. I relished every second of it (although I admit that I furiously tore through the last 100 pages pretty quickly over my lunch break at work--again, it's compulsive reading). The book enveloped me-- you become the character and her unease becomes your unease...her desire to uncover her past becomes your desire. The story-telling is fantastic, and Christine's voice is extremely well-developed.

As a fan of mystery novels, this book absolutely amazed me. It's creepy. It's good. I found the end satisfying. Read it read it read it!
on January 16, 2017
Twists turns and surprises. Roller coaster of emotions will grab you and not let go to the end. So well written. Read and enjoy.
on June 23, 2017
This gets off to an intriguing start - a woman wakes up one morning and can't remember anything that has happened to her for the last 20 odd years. It just gets better from there as she tries to piece her life together. I did not see the end coming...
on January 14, 2013
Yes, it's missing some research and you do need to suspend your disbelief.
Parts of the ending are over-explained which is irritating, because we got it... though other parts of the ending are under explained, which is also irritating... but overall it was satisfying.

The bottom line though is that it's a very interesting concept; it keeps you engaged in the mystery as you work just as hard as she does to sort things out.

It's not edge of your seat or life changing, but a well-paced book that is an entertaining read.

I enjoyed this and will recommend it to friends.
on December 18, 2014
This book sounded interesting and I stayed to the end. There just isn't enough in the premise to sustain suspense. Certainly not original as a notable film handled the whole amnesia idea far better. The ending felt rushed and contrived. Disappointing.
on May 22, 2016
The book arrived in perfect condition. I don't care for the tall format and although recommended to me, the story itself is somewhat of a disappointment.
on January 26, 2017
This book ws amazing. The first paragraph sucked me in and did not let go until the end. The ending tied up very quickly but with such an intense story, a drawn out ending might be too much. Highly recommend this book.