Echo Spot countdown boutiques-francophones Introducing Fire 7 tablet, starting at $59.99 WFM Furniture Kindle Paperwhite fd18 Tools

The Dovekeepers: A Novel
Format: Hardcover|Change

on May 14, 2013
I have recommended this book to all my friends and I also recommend it to anyone who loves 'history''...you will enjoy this story. You visually see in your mind the fate that awaited the Jews on Masada. It is one of the books in my library that I will NOT loan out. If you wish to read it and not buy it , then go to the library and borrow it but be warned that you may want to buy it for yourself.
on June 6, 2017
Incredible story beautifully told, I enjoyed the writer's style of English, I suspect Alice has a degree in English Language. I was already quite familiar with the story of Masada, this book kept me captive until I turned the last page, many thanks!
on January 16, 2014
I am loving the Dovekeepers. It is a captivating excerpt of a time in history that quickly drew me in to the characters and the various scenes there were living in during that time. I found my imagination and senses drawn deeply into the tone of that time in history as well. Each characters inner and outer life is individually and uniquely portrayed in such a way that one cannot help but get the essence of character.
The four women bring the novel even more to life in the individualized life adventures however it is their inner lives, the secrets they keep, their individual passion leanings that drew me in the more. As well I found the correlations of these woman's lives in our modern times is insightful and deepening.
Not looking forward to not being on the journey of life with these women as they have been a delight to get to know.
It is clear in the rhythm of the story that Alice Hoffman has done her homework on this novel and I look forward to reading more from her.
Best novel I have read in my life that educates, inspires, connects and supports the birthing of my faith and those early days of the whys and how.
on September 16, 2016
I loved the book. Full of history, adventure, mysticism & love. The characters were wonderful & their stories intertwined and kept me wanting to read more. I learned much about Jewish history, the various customs & traditions that we follow today. Great book.
on December 16, 2013
I don't know if I was so engrossed because I had been to Israel and Masada but I think other readers would be engrossed too. It is the story of the dove keepers of Masada before and during the time of the roman invasions. Be warned it is a bit gruesome in parts but it was a time of war and some of the descriptions are graphic. Nonetheless the characters are great. This is a novel I had read and bought for my daughter in Canada via Amazon. Based in history and a very good read.
on April 2, 2015
This is after all a novel. Those of you who likes tries will love it. Those of you who like history will no doubt find the holes I have and not like the inaccuracy of the siege of Masada. It is however well written and can be enjoyable as long as you realise it is just a story and not history
on June 20, 2015
Very slow start - I was hoping it would be more historical in nature, but the romantic interactions took over a great deal of the novel. The last quarter of the book was the most interesting.
on August 8, 2015
Very interesting story: well written and with fascinating and strong women. Amazing what hardships they had to deal with, without losing their spirit and their resilience. Interesting in terms of history as well
on December 9, 2016
Excellent book! Actually I had already read this book once, but unfortunately lent it out in hardcover and never got it back. Wanted it for my collection, and I am re-reading it for the second time.
on June 18, 2015
Interesting read about Masada and the people who we under siege there. Good character development. Each section almost reads like a short story but each chapter is neatly tied into the whole.