Echo Spot countdown boutiques-francophones Introducing Fire 7 tablet, starting at $59.99 WFM Furniture Kindle Paperwhite Love_Simon Explore the Amazon.ca Vinyl LP Records Store sports Tools

Customer reviews

The Day The Falls Stood Still
Format: Paperback|Change

on March 2, 2017
Nicely written book. Good to see a little of Canadian history. Good description of how one at the edge of the social middle class can fall easily and in the early 1900 out of favour with the rest of that level of society. Very strong Mother who actually shows her daughter how to be strong and weather the "storms". The heroine is a very determined and strong young woman whose life changes because of the father's entrepreneurial view but not protecting the family and also the fact that she falls in love with a "fishmonger". Like all couples during the war, the separation makes the woman even more independent and stronger as they give birth to their first child and raise him without the father for years until the return. As many will attest to PDT is evident when the husband returns but magically our heroine manages to help him get healthy. There is a terrific twist at the end of the book which I will not spoil. It's a good story and well written.
on August 8, 2013
Young Bess Heath, protagonist of Cathy Marie Buchanan’s remarkable novel “The Day the Falls Stood Still” abruptly emerges from a childhood of easy wealth to glimpse her life on the edge of a roaring whirlpool. The force of Nature, symbolized by the story’s setting in Niagara Falls, eclipses Bess’ personal difficulties and she focuses on the preoccupation of all young women: she falls in love. Here too conflicts thunder with the force of the Great Niagara Falls.
The writing in this book is superb. The detailed attention to nonfiction information, including a history of the Niagara Power Company, the myths involving some of the daredevils and River men who have populated Niagara Falls, Buchanan’s home town, her ease in describing the beautiful, treacherous power of the Falls and the Escarpment in different seasons, her clarity about the effects of World War One on the lives of those who served and those who remained behind, even her superior breadth of knowledge about the baroque craft of sewing flow seamlessly throughout the novel, blending fiction and nonfiction in a single whole.
on September 20, 2017
I loved this book and have read it twice. Historical fiction is my favourite genre coupled with romance and Candian history of Niagra Falls, it doesn't get any better. I would love to read more from this author.
on March 16, 2014
This book was easy to read and held my attention throughout. It was informative in its history and made me realize how necessary it is to preserve our natural wonders. We must respect our environment and find a balance between depleting our resources and preserving them. Many suffer when decisions are taken quickly without investigation and research. Lives are lost one way or another either because of fool hearty risks taken or through consequences from our actions. Life is precious and should be respected in every aspect.
on April 30, 2016
This is a book I would recommend just for the historical value: here we have an interesting account of the hydro electric development of Niagara Falls with the issues of progress vs environment, as well as sentiments surrounding WW! - patriotism, fear, and loss, and the role of women, religion and status as Canada approached its sixth decade.
on February 8, 2014
I LIVED IN SOUTHERN ONTARIO MOST OF MY ADULT LIFE
AND KNOW THE NIAGARA PENINSULA WELL; SO IT WAS
SO WONDERFUL TO FELL THE SPRAY TO THE FALLS ON MY FACE
AGAIN READING THIS WONDERFUL BOOK.
THE STORY OF TOM COLE AND BESS HEATH IS FILLED WITH
LOVE, DUTY TO FAMILY, AND DANGER IN THE GUISE OF THE FALLS.
I HAD NO IDEA THE EXTENT OF THE HISTORY INVOLVED IN THE
WRITING OF THIS WONDERFUL BOOK.
I WAIT WITH BATED BREATH FOR YOUR NEXT EFFORT CATHY MARIE.
on April 21, 2016
Since I lived in Niagara Falls for at one time I enjoyed the description of the Falls and liked the story
on February 26, 2018
It was a really good read and provided an excellent opportunity for discussion with the Book Club at which it was reviewed.
on April 19, 2016
An interesting read; especially if you are familiar with the Niagara Falls area.
on May 3, 2016
Definitely worth the $2 I spent buying this e-book!