countdown boutiques-francophones Eco Friendly Cleaning and Care Furniture Kindle sports Tools

• Room
  • Customer reviews

Format: Hardcover|Change

What an incredible book. Now I see what all the hullabaloo has been all about. This books is written from the point of view of a five year old boy who only knows life lived in one room. He knows nothing of the outside. How the author winnowed out such an authentic sounding and feeling book, I'll never know. I found myself dumbstruck time and time again as I read Jack's words. The author made me remember how it felt to be a child, not understanding the baffling world of adults around me. Be warned though, this book can be depressing. I found the morning after beginning this book, looking at the world a little differently and listening to the conversations around me with a new ear. It disturbed me a little to find out just how much effect only the first 25% of this book had on me. What, I wondered, would happen as I continued? Well, yes, it was depressing but also illuminating. I can really say no more without giving away the miraculousness of the reading experience gained in this book. DOn't miss it, it's worth the low mood as you read. I think of this book much like I do the movie "Schlindler's List", it was worth the hurt to get to the end. Yes it ached to watch but oh my, the learning it instilled was well worth it.
on March 31, 2017
Wow, this was hard-hitting and unbelievably sad.
Five year old Jack has lived his whole life in one room. His mother (having been kidnapped) was forced to raise Jack in horrific, cramped conditions and led him to believe in a warped sense of reality in which Room is the entire world.

As this will be a no spoiler review, I'll keep it short and sweet:
Told through the point of view of Jack, we see everything through the eyes of a five year old child who doesn’t understand societal norms, and doesn’t quite understand what is real and what is not. To be perfectly honest, while Jack is understandably confused and doesn’t have a firm grasp on the world, at times I found his ignorance to be annoying as a narrator. His reactions to everything was of course justified in his eyes, but they still made me unbelievably frustrated at times. And on that note, I have to give the author credit because if I was getting frustrated, you know for a fact that Joy, Jack’s mother, was a million times more frustrated with their situation. This book gave me an unbelievable amount of empathy and sorrow for people who are forced to live in conditions like these. It's easy to forget but this actually happens to people. And it's scary as hell.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon September 9, 2016
I bought this thinking it would be more compelling than it ended up being. It was okay but really, not what I was hoping it would be. I've read, in fascinated horror, about similar real life cases over the years but this book wasn't as fascinating. I also didn't like reading from the little boy's perspective and found it slow to read due to his method of a speech.
on July 8, 2016
Mehhh - really really too long, dull and difficult to get through - not because of the subject matter but because it was written in a manner that grates on and eventually loses the reader. I skipped over very large parts of this story and was really sorry I bothered to even start the book. Can not believe the awards won by this or that anyone went to the trouble of making a movie based on this book.
on August 6, 2015
Really good book, I bought it without knowing what it was about, I like doing that with books. It ended up hitting me personally, a friend ofnmisne went missing a year ago, and because being a adult, the police don't always put to much effort into locating them, as an adult youre allowed to step out of your life.
The book being thru the child's eyes gives the reader such pride and respect for the mother and all she has protected him from to keep his innocence.
on March 26, 2017
I was sure that I was going to not like the book once I found out what the story was about but that was not the case. It totally intrigued me and I was totally caught up in the story. Every bit of it was believable and although you would hate to have anything like this happen in as far as the kidnapping goes....it would make sense to do what the girl in the story did . Good story Emma!
on May 10, 2017
I thought about reading the book before watching the movie. It is beautifully written. You can see what they see, feel what they feel. This book is just a written movie. Don't watch it, read it!
on May 16, 2017
I watched the movie version years ago but this was definitely more real to me! An excellent book, easy to read, except for the feelings it brings up.
on April 12, 2017
I am just about done. What a story! I give it a 5 stars and will comment when I am done. Thanks for having such a book.
on May 3, 2017
brought me to tears, was such a good book had to buy the movie