Echo Dot countdown boutiques-francophones Introducing Fire TV Stick Basic Edition WFM Furniture Kindle Paperwhite Explore the Amazon.ca Vinyl LP Records Store sports Tools

Showing 1-10 of 313 reviews(5 star). See all 497 reviews
on March 25, 2017
Believe it or not, this is the first Dickens book I have read, and what a wonderful introduction to his work it has been. Two things really struck me about his writing:

1.The man does a beautiful job of characterization, giving each one a unique personality so that you really feel something for the characters. Some of their idiosyncrasies are quite over the top, but this is of course done intentionally to represent one form of stereotype, or other, and to serve as counterpoint to the traits of an opposing character (e.g. the cruelty vs. the kindness of Mrs. Joe and Joe, or the cynicism vs. blind optimism of Pip and Herbert). It is this constant juxtaposition that makes for such an entertaining dynamic between the characters, and contains some of my favourite dialogue in any novel.

2. The incredible wit and pacing of the prose. Pip, I believe, is a semi-autobiographical character, and he carries every bit of sharp-minded observation that Dickens must have held himself when he was a young man. His ability to see past facades, disingenuous behaviour, and falsehood - even his own - makes him one of my favourite narrators of any novel. At no point does it ever feel like Pip is giving himself a pat on the back, or that he truly feels superior to his surroundings (despite claiming the opposite). This is a rare ability, and Dickens captures it beautifully here in his writing. It allows Pip to narrate with a truth and reliability that is seldom seen in any first person narrative.

I am not the most talented reviewer of books as ultimately I read them for sheer pleasure, and with the hope of perhaps learning something new in the process. I certainly did learn a little more about life in England in the 19th Century - as well as a host of new words I will be remiss to remember - but what it comes down to is that I had a great time reading his novel, and fully understand why it is considered a classic. We never did have to read this in school, and if you are in the same boat as I, pick it up now as an adult and enjoy.
on February 4, 2018
The novel was written 150 years ago, more or less, but it is still worth reading. The characters, though from a different time, are still engaging. The plot, complex, is still interesting. The descriptions of nature, ivy growing on ruined walls, mists rising from the river,flowers sitting on the window sill of a small home, it’s all wonderful.
I read this in a hurry about 60 years ago. I reread it now, in 2018, more slowly now, and liked it better. A good read!
on December 12, 2015
The old classic story for the Christmas season or any season. For all those who find worldly possessions their God I pray that they will heed the lesson that Mr. Dickens gave in this story. You are richer by far n the way you are by truly helping your fellow man in this life than all the gold in the world.. for you will be judged for what you were and how you spent your life on earth which determines your destiny of heaven or Hell for eternity.
on March 9, 2016
This is one of my two favorite Dickens' novels (the other is Our Mutual Friend). Dickens is a great writer, of course, and, for that reason, probably isn't much read. This s a nice, hard-cover edition that reasonably priced. You can get it free on Kindle, probably, but a really good book should be left to your heirs. This meets the case.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon January 6, 2011
For those of you who have only 'seen' this Dickens' classic, it is time for you to 'read' it! The manner in which it is written is engrossing, the character and setting descriptions are wonderfully Dickens and, of course, the message is one that we all need to pay heed to. This is an excellent presentation of one of the author's top three fictional writings. The plates, that are present throughout, are not only the originals but also created by the artist who did the same for Grimm's Fairy Tales.

Buy it, read it and live out its lessons. It will do you, and those around you, much good.
on January 19, 2016
The acme of ALL Christmas books. This book is truly what Christmas is supposed to be, but all too often is not. Whether you have read it once or 50 times, like me, the book always resonates with the true meaning of Christmas Spirit. For young or old a Christmas Carol is an instant hit for anyone with a heart.
on January 30, 2017
Avoir toute cette richesse culturelle, c'est merveilleux. Autrefois, c'était un luxe qu'on ne pouvait pas toujours se le permettre.
Intéressant, bien sûr.
on June 20, 2013
This book was purchased for my son and is the beginning of his planned Classics library and was unaware of the Nonesuch editions prior to receiving this item. He is so delighted with the format and substantial appearance of "Our Mutual Friend" he has requested all future Dickens purchases be the Nonesuch editions.
This has been one of my most successful purchases.
on September 7, 2017
Always a Christmas favourite and now available for Kindle. So happy to have it.
on March 5, 2016
I personally love the way the book looks, and it's obviously a great book to read. However, some of my friends think the colour of the book is really ugly. Personally I think the book is a lot less ugly than my friends are. TAKE THAT.