Echo Spot countdown boutiques-francophones Introducing Fire 7 tablet, starting at $59.99 WFM home Kindle sports Tools

Showing 1-10 of 44 reviews(5 star). See all 45 reviews
HALL OF FAMEon December 13, 2003
Most of the series of 'Chicken Soup for the Soul' has the kind of warm and fuzzy story that many find endearing and sweet. They are not 'deep' most of the time, but do point to things beyond themselves; for my own use, I often find sermon illustrations and stories within the pages of volumes of Chicken Soup -- as chaplain at a retirement centre, many of the stories help people to recall happier times, and help them deal with their present situation.
This particular volume involves stories with animals. The relationship between animals and people of all ages can make for some of the funniest, most heart-warming, most sad, and most meaningful stories. There are contributing authors of some note (Barbara Bush, James Herriot, Jimmy Stewart, Gilda Radner, Art Linkletter) among other authors who had stories to tell and volunteered them. Much in the manner that Readers Digest accepts unsolicited stories from amateur authors, so does the Chicken Soup series. Often the most meaningful stories are those that happen to people who are not professional writers.
Few animals are left out here, as many animals have come to be companions with humans over the centuries. Dogs and cats feature prominently, as do horses and other farm animals, but there are also wolves, birds, dolphins, deer, wild turkeys, gorillas and even a Christmas mouse. The stories cover a wide range of topics, including pets as friends and healers, animals as rescuers and performers of other amazing feats, animals whose companionship meant a lot, and finally on the sadness and meaning of saying goodbye to an important family member.
Each of this stories can easily be read in a short time. This makes it a good source for 'falling-asleep reading', for use in public speaking and preaching opportunites, for shared reading-aloud times, and for simple enjoyment and entertainment. Many of the stories here are ones that stay with you; the story about the wild turkeys and the story of the Christmas mouse are stories I use again and again in my chaplaincy, and they are always appreciated.
The editors of the primary series 'Chicken Soup' are Jack Canfield and Mark Victor Hansen; for purposes of this volume, they are joined by Marty Becker and Carol Kline, authors and animal-professionals in various capacities.
My cats give their paws-up to this!
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
Any animal lover will appreciate this book and I would like to see those who do not possess a love for animals to read it and see how many become believers in the lives and feelings of one of our most valuable and blessed gifts from God. When I would begin to read this book I would say to myself, " I will read 2 or 3 then go to bed." Impossible. You cannot put it down. Yes, tissues were a necessity and prayers of thanksgiving were frequent. Most of all, again we are shown that God uses animals to help us in many ways and we are given the opportunity to receive blessings from coming in contact with God's creatures. Another book that clearly portrays God's purpose of putting humans and animals together is Ralph Helfer's "Modoc: The World's Greatest Elephant." A quite moving read.
on June 21, 2000
Being a true pet lover, I found this book to be absolutely magnificent. The heartwarming collection of stories exemplify the loyalty and love of animals. In this book, you'll read touching stories about how our healers, teachers, friends, and heroes are often our pets! After reading these real-life tales, I began to realize how much my own pet (a Quarter Horse mare) meant to me. I guarantee that after reading "Chicken Soup for the Pet Lover's Soul," you will begin to see your furry friends in a whole new light. I highly recommend this astounding book to any pet lover!
on November 27, 2000
Most people have a pet at least once in their lives, and the experience makes an impact on them - the caring, trust, love and tenderness affects how the person lives and grows. This book is full of stories of pets that had profound impacts on their owners lives, and how the owners experienced joy and sorrow as their pets grew and died. A great book for anyone with a furry companion, or even those with feathery, scaly, or slimy ones!
I got my copy as a gift, and am going to now buy copies for my friends for the holidays!
on February 4, 2000
Anyone who truly loves their pet will be deeply moved and touched by these stories. There is inspiration, joy, love, and sadness in these pages, but they all reflect the wonders of our pets and how fortunate we are to have them. Some people don't understand how and why I treat my pets so lovingly and consider them my family. The biker cliche is appropriate here; "If I have to explain, you wouldn't understand." Also, my own personal philosophy applies; "I never met anything on four legs I didn't like. I can't say the same for two legs."
on August 5, 1999
This was an absolutley amazing book. Owning as many animals as I do, I had no trouble relating to over half the stories in the book. I would be delighted to read a second one, and plan to put together a story or two in hopes of the next volume coming out soon. There are so many volumes of the other chicken soup books, I cannot imagine there aren't enough stories for many more pet lover's soul books! :)
on July 16, 1999
Many stories to touch the heart--and the soul. Our pets become part of us; their unconditional love is something we treasure. When we are faced with losing them the pain and sorrow go beyond words to express!
After you read this book and smile-- and cry-- I would like to recommend two other wonderful books: one is FOR EVERY DOG AN ANGEL, an absolutely marvelous little book, that even though written for children, adults will love even more! The angel stays with pup throughout its life; "forever dog" and its "forever person" will eventually reunite; sometimes the dog will cross back over its "angel bridge" to visit in the interim. The author has had several experiences with her "forever dog", "Martha"; I have had a few with my little ones as well.
The next recommendation is for adults: THE SOUL OF YOUR PET. Stunning, solid evidence of animal afterlife; will startle the most hardened of skeptics. In addition, it is biblically-sound regarding pet afterlife.
on May 14, 2002
Chicken Soup for the Pet Lover's Soul is a fantastic book for anyone who has a special place in his or her heart for animals. The book was made up of many different stories describing the special qualities that make our pets and furry friends unique. I rated this book a 5 because I found myself crying one minute and laughing the next. There are stories that will make you giggle, one in particular describes buffalo playing a game on ice. It made me realize that there are many things about animals that we don't understand- and never will. Who would have guessed that buffalo play games? The book also included stories that sent tears down my cheek. The story that stands out the most in my mind is a story about how far a mother cats goes to save her kittens. The love of the mother cat can relate to human mothers as well, they will do anything to protect their children. I believe that animals are fantastic teachers. One story in the book talks about how a gorilla helped to rescue an injured (human) boy after he fell into her area in the zoo. The author of that story explained that what is truly amazing about the gorilla is that she helped the boy without caring about recognition. She helped the boy because she wanted to, she didn't know that recognition was even a part of the act. That is exactly what us humans can learn from these animals. We need to help somebody because it's the thing to do, not because we want to be remembered as a hero.
I would recommend Chicken Soup for the Pet Lover's Soul for anyone who enjoys animals or just wants to read a book that make you warm and fuzzy inside. The stories in the book will show you exactly why pets are teachers, healers, heroes and friends. You will realize how special they really are.
Also check out Chicken Soup for the Teenage Soul for stories about teenagers that will inspire you.
on December 13, 2003
My cats give their paws-up to this!
on July 3, 1999
I have read many of the Chicken Soup Books and I highly recommend all of them. The one that stands out in my mind most vividly is the one for the Pet Lover's Soul. This book encouraged me to get another puppy very soon after we lost our dog of nine and half years. I saw so much compassion in our family caring for Chava. It was a tribute to her that we were able to love another puppy.