countdown boutiques-francophones Beauty Furniture Kindle sports Tools

on April 30, 2002
Though the characters were engaging and likeable, I found this book a little boring. The author obviously did a wealth of research to learn how government law enforcement agencies operate. That works for and against this novel. It gives the novel the sharp edge of realism. However, it also buries the suspense of the book in details. In fact, there is very little suspense in this novel. The majority of it consists of the characters sitting around in meetings discussing theories and the latest investigation discoveries.
on June 19, 2017
Great product. Very nice packaging and presentation The best bargain for the money. great item,does exacly what it needs to Great for holidays. Easy to use and store. Love them and get compliments all the time.
on May 22, 2001
I just finished this book and had to come write about it. Dee Henderson does a wonderful job of incorporating faith, religion and the budding romance between Kate and Dave. What I loved most was her honest protrayal of faith and religion. Ms. Henderson didn't shove religion down her readers throats like some writers do, she simply said it like it is. Everything mended perfectly together and the the story flowed smoothly from start to finish.
In two words: excellent writing.
on June 7, 2000
Kate O'Malley faces the insanities of the world on a daily bases. As Hostage Negotiator Kate is legendary, her courage, wit and talent in her field has brought her to the top.... but nothing has been able to cure age old wounds. Dave Richman, an FBI special agent has spent his life protecting people, his courage, wit...and belief in God has led him to the top. When these two meet it is under a dangerous and stressful situation, but nothing can disguise the instant attraction they feel for each other. But can Kate open her heart enough to believe? And can Dave love a woman who has shut God out of her life? Soon secrets and old time enemies threaten both parties and both Kate and Dave will learn that God certainly does work in mysterious ways. The Negotiator is a wonderful read. Dee Henderson spins a beautiful love story and a suspenseful thriller. Only moderately predictable, Ms.Henderson sometimes relies on the cliched to pull her out of a rough spot. Such predictability can be overlooked in the wake of strong characters and a moving story line. The "inspirational" aspect is just that, inspirational, never "preachy" or high handed, God is softly intertwined with the characters and emotional plots and subplots. Satisfying to the end The Negotiator will have a place on my library shelf.
on July 8, 2000
That's right, you caught me reading a...gulp, dare I say it?...romantic mystery. First, let me say I originally purchased Henderson's novel for my wife. No, really. Second, I must tell you, this book is more mystery than romance. At least from this male's point of view. Oh, sure, Kate meets Dave, Kate falls in love with Dave, Kate and Dave face obstacles, and...well, I shouldn't tell you the end. But romance is in the air, no doubt.
A true mystery is also at work here. Dee Henderson lays out the groundwork of her story with spartan efficiency--sometimes lacking a definitive narrative style-and tosses in enough details to make you buy into it. She's done her research. The dialogue, in particular, flows naturally and breathes life and personality into these characters. Though the assortment of minor characters might be confusing to some, I assume Henderson was fleshing out the story for this and future books in the O'Malley series.
My wife, not an avid reader, finished the book a day before me. That's a good indication of "The Negotiator"s intrigue. The mystery is resolved, the roma--I mean, relationships come to satisfactory conclusions, and the lessons learned are Biblically sound and relevant.
I've since purchased Henderson's "Danger in the Shadows"--for my wife, of course. But if you read my review here later, don't say I didn't warn you.
on August 5, 2003
While the prequel "Danger in the Shadows" was 25% suspense and 75% romance, the first official entry in Dee Henderson's popular "O'Malley" series sees a welcome switch of the figures: 75% suspense and only 25% romance. The main plot of this mystery concerns hostage negotiator Kate O'Malley and FBI agent Dave Richman (brother of the protagonist Sara from the prequel), who together unravel the mystery involving a bank robbery crisis, a bombed aeroplane, a family member from Kate's past, and various mysterious threats against Kate's life. This suspense thriller plot dominates the novel, generating strong interest and resulting in a real page-turner. The only real weaknesses is that the solution is rather complex and at times frustratingly hard to follow, and the clues given on the first page of chapter four are enough for astute readers to figure out whodunnit, preventing them from being misled by the red herrings which rest suspicion on a different character. And the characterization isn't very deep (both Kate and Dave are rather too bold and beautiful to be believeable), but it's the storyline which really drives this book. On the whole, the main plot is immensely satisfying, and carried me from the beginning of the novel to the end.
Besides the main plot, there are three sub-plots: 1. Romance - the relationship between Kate and Dave; 2. Religion - Kate's journey to becoming a Christian; 3. Sickness - the cancer of Kate's sister, which is left hanging and not resolved at the end of this book (as well as related questions about unanswered prayer). Unlike the prequel, these sub-plots do not weigh down or detract from the main suspense. Just as with the first book, I had a few questions about the Christian elements, such as attitudes towards Sunday rest and entertainment. I was pleasantly surprised to notice that Dave at the outset did not want to get into a relationship with someone who was not a believer, although disappointingly this didn't seem to put the brakes on the way he grew closer to Kate as the novel progressed, and that he wasn't able to stay entirely true to his principles by allowing himself to fall in love with her. But unlike other Christian novelists, the focus was neither romance nor an artificial conversion story (the conversion itself wasn't very plausible, but there are certainly some interesting apologetics!). In fact, it was refreshing to see some often misunderstood Biblical truths very clearly stated: "It wasn't his job to convince her to believe. God knew best how to draw her to Him." "He is both just and merciful in equal measure." "God didn't shortchange justice to grant mercy. He paid the full price Himself." In her post word, Hendersoon remarks that the relationship between justice and mercy is one of the questions that was central in her mind as she wrote the novel: "I was curious to find out which would be more powerful - a need for justice or a need for mercy - if the dilemma became very personal. I sketched a story that let me explore the subject, and found Kate's journey through the questions fascinating." These questions were not central to the novel (they seemed to be more questions about Christ rather than the characters themselves), but they were certainly not dealt with an an unsatisfactory manner as has been the case in other Christian novels I've read. Closely related to this theme is the Bible verse that Henderson begins the novel with: "For the Son of man came to seek and to save the lost" (Luke 19:10), about which one of the characters says "Part of the mystery of salvation is that to save the lost, us, Jesus had to die in our place."
But while the theology is there, Henderson doesn't make the mistake as some other Christian novelists, and focuses mainly on the plot. And she's right in doing so, because we don't firstly pick up her book to read theology, but to read a good story. And a good story is certainly what she delivers (although not as successfully as Terri Blackstock), while reminding her readers of God's justice and mercy in Christ in the process. The good news is that Kate is merely the first of the O'Malley family, seven siblings from an orphanage who became a family by changing their name to O'Malley, and that Henderson has a book on each other member of the family. Keep 'em coming! -GODLY GADFLY
on September 8, 2002
Finally, an alternative to crime novels and love stories that leave you feeling upbeat after you read them. These books provide a wonderful alternative for fans of those genres.
The O'Malley characters are strong and express many of the sentiments of those just learning about Christ. Doubts and questions are not downplayed but are answered insightfully.
And what a concept for a story! Orphans who adopt each other and form their own family and take the name of the O'Malley's. Each family member is explored in detail in their own book.
"The Negotiator" tells the story of Kate a hostage negotiator. The action picks up from page one and never lags. We follow Kate through her chaotic job, love life, tortured past and search for God.
Also, while getting the Lord's message across, this book doesn't become "preachy" to the point where any one is turned off. However, you do leave the book feeling upbeat and encouraged. These books have just the right mix of action, suspense, love, tears, humor and inspiration. I haven't been this excited about a series of books in years.
Way to go Mrs. Henderson. Two thumbs up. Breathlessly awaiting the next in the series.
on December 1, 2000
What is a family? For the O'Malleys it has nothing to do with blood, who as orphans decide to become a family. Each one has a unique talent that serves mankind but their loyalty is to the family. So when one hurts they all do, especially Kate when she learns her sister's secret. Dee Henderson running high on the triumphant success of DANGERS IN THE SHADOWS has returned with her promised THE NEGOTIATOR; delicious Dave's story.
FBI agent Dave Richman finds himself trapped in hostage situation, hidden from the captor but not the police negotiator. All becomes quite complex however, when the negotiator is a woman which terrifies Dave. Yet, Kate is like no other negotiator or woman he was seen before and quickly takes command of the captor with no help from him. What he can't understand is his sudden attraction to her and why that bothers him?
Kate O'Malley. as a police negotiator, had thought that she had seen it all. Of course who would have thought that a cocksure FBI agent would find himself a hidden element in this scenario. Now she has to keep her captor cool and the agent from doing anything stupid. But Dave is not stupid as he quickly realizes that Kate is one exceptional negotiator let alone woman. A woman he wants to get to know more, something that has always eluded him as he cared for his sister. Yet, as he later meets her family he senses that making time with Kate is going to be no easy task. But there are other even bigger hurdles to jump for both Kate and Dave.
Ms Henderson has crafted a vividly intense story of a young woman's search for answers to a child's strange past, accept without fear the love of a man she has come to cherish and how it is all possible when one accepts God's love. This story takes the reader on a incredibly plotted roller coaster ride full of suspense sure to keep the reader's heart in their throat as an especially evil element surfaces from Kate's past. THE NEGOTIATOR is the first of a number of planned O'Malley books; save keeper space because the men and woman of the O'Malley's are sure to learn what being wrapped in God's love means for each of them. Ms. Henderson's work has always been considered gourmet Inspirational Romance, but those who read other romance genre' need only to tantalize their palates with any of her wonderful offerings to learn what a truly gifted storyteller she is.
on December 5, 2001
The Negotiator is a fine book. It is pretty good in the whodunit category. It also contains elements of romance, but it's not dripping with it. I don't read much fiction, but I really enjoyed this book. My wife and I read it concurrently. It was very nice to be able to sit down together and discuss the story. We both enjoyed sharing quality time, even if it was just to discuss characters in a work of fiction.
The story starts out in a very engrossing situation. The pace doesn't slow for quite some time. However, it does slow toward the end. In fact, my wife and I both thought the ending was anti-climactic.
Dee Henderson tackles some pretty deep theological issues in this book. I think she handles them well, but doesn't delve too deeply into the mysteries. Personally, I'd love to have seen her flesh them out more, but this is a work of fiction, not a work of theology. She handled them well within her storyline.
The O'Malley Family is a great set-up. And, I suspect the rest of the books in the series will be pretty good too. I'm hoping to find time to read the rest of them. Kate O'Malley, the negotiator, is an interesting character. I did find her penchant for eating junk food to be a bit overdone - I would have a hard time believing that the picture on the book's cover would be fitting for someone with those eating habits. Other than that, the character development is very good for Kate.
Dave, on the other hand, is a bit less believable. He speaks with a British accent, so we assume he is British. However, the book never tells us how or why a Brit is working for the FBI. Also, he's extremely wealthy (old money). This provides for a couple of sections in the "romantic" development of the book that do little to progress the storyline. They seemed extravagant to me. Perhaps that comes from my realist personality.
The story is very readable. I did finally have to go to the dictionary to look up the word "roil." Perhaps my vocabulary is too limited, but her heavy usage of this particular word struck me as odd. I would have thought the editor might have caught the heavy usage and suggested something else.
The one thing that struck me, and will stay with me when I read other works of fiction, is the way Henderson developed and showed the sense of joy of being with friends and family. I cannot remember ever reading a story that made me feel the joy and happiness of the characters. In fact, for me, the joy and happiness in the story were far more real that the worry and fear. I wish more people focused on bring out joy in life, even in difficult times, when they write. I wouldn't really classify this as a "feel good" book, but it will provide many occasions that bring this feeling to you.
In the end, I really liked the book. I think that most readers, Christian or not, will enjoy reading it.
on October 3, 2001
I first read about this book when looking through an Amazon list of "sleepers." I was surprised when I checked into this one to find it listed in Christian fiction. I hadn't tried to read Christian fiction in several years, and had been disappointed with my last attempt. I had no idea that this subgenre of Christian fiction even existed. I prefer fast paced action-suspense-thriller novels, and this has all of those elements, plus a sweet romance. I have since devoured all of the author's books and found them each very satisfying, but this one holds a special place in my heart. I think I particularly identify with Kate's feistiness.
Here are some of the things that I think make Ms. Henderson's writing especially enjoyable: she researches her subject situations well and provides enough small details to give a clear and credible picture of what is happening, yet manages to do so in a way that does not bog down the plot. She injects humor into the characters. They have strong personalities and both strengths and flaws. Thus, they seem very real. As another writer has noted, the references to faith flow as a natural part of the thoughts and dialog of the characters. Ms. Henderson also does a great job developing courtship between the main characters.
I find myself recommending this series to everyone I know, then having difficulty lending copies of the books for them to read. The books feel like friends that I don't want to part with. I am so pleased to have found them. Thank you, Ms. Henderson for writing them!