countdown boutiques-francophones Learn more vpcflyout home All-New Kindle Explore the Amazon.ca Vinyl LP Records Store sports Tools Registry

Format: Paperback|Change

on June 29, 2016
This book is amazing and helps me feel grounded when life gets too hectic. I keep coming back to the exercises and re-starting it. I have recommended it to two other people who truly love it as well. The greatest thing, to me, is that you can adapt the weekly exercises to suite whatever YOU deem to be creativity. I have painted, I have re-decorated, I have tried encaustics, I have gone to an art gallery, a glassblowing store... and whatever else I deemed to be creative to ME. This book was recommended to me by an actor who did entirely different exercises based on her wants and needs. I love the flexibility it offers and the clarity that comes with the exercises and readings.
on January 1, 2015
I have been reading this book for a few years now. It is something that I go back to time and again and continue to work with.I don't think of the book as a text as much as I do a meditation.
It is a powerful invitation to the creative force in your life.
Although she does not present it in these terms, Julia Cameron's works on the premise that the Creator shares the power of creation with everyone. Creativity is not a mysterious talent possessed by a chosen few, but rather it is the birthright of each and every one of us! And, by introducing a few simple but powerful exercises and a highly effective process, she shows you how to access this creative force in our lives.
on April 18, 2014
I loved doing this workshop because I could do it in the privacy of my own home, and when it suited my schedule. Julia Cameron raises some very provocative questions and gives excellent guidance on how to become unblocked. Even though I was doing the work for reasons other than becoming creatively unblocked, I found it extremely helpful in getting me to look at things I may otherwise not have encountered.
The only issue I have with her book is her constant reference to the word "God". There has to be a better way to address that when writing to an audience that embraces everyone, not just believers in God.
I nonetheless found it a very helpful tool in getting to take a more introspective look at myself. Highly recommended.
on November 2, 2006
I read and began working my way through this book a few years ago. Before I go on, let me first say I am somewhat of a skeptic. I think we all are to some degree though or we wouldn't need things like brand names to reassure us in our everyday lives.

It was no coincidence that my creativity began to transform like a tidal wave at the time I was working through this book. In fact, I had been supressing it so much through daily distractions that it was too much for me to handle at the time. My creativity has since reached a nice medium and I finally feel ready to bring this book back into the process.

I decided to read the other reviews for fun. I am not at all suprised that their is a lot of cynicism. Everything has an equal opposite, that is a fundamental law of nature. People are entitled to their opinions and there is no specific thing in this world that appeals to everyone.

I just find it ironic that one of the biggest stabs at this book is "well I shouldn't have to do exercises to be creative, I should be spending my time being creative instead." That point has some validity to it, but if that was the case than why did they turn to a book about creativity in the first place. Even the greatest artists cannot be inspired all the time and lose their path through life from time to time. On top of that, if you compare the art and architecture of the Roman times and music of the past to today, you can see a pattern of things becoming more and more formulated. We need inspiration at this point in evolution.

The other thing is people say 'where are the authors creditials? What else has she done?' If you took piano lessons from a recommended teacher, would you base their teaching skills on whether they have taught anyone famous before? That is why we have teachers.

It all comes down to one thing. This book will bring out your inner self if used properly and if you are cynical and negative, you will probably return here to make a point of it. If you are open and creative you may very well begin to channel that energy the way you need to.
on October 28, 2013
Although this book very good, it is not one that can be read just once - like a novel. I find that I am going back over what I've read to try and put things in perspective. It is NOT what I would call "easy reading". There's nothing in it, so far, that I haven't heard before; it's just put together from the writer's point of view to enhance her message.
on May 24, 2002
I purchased this book about 3 years ago. I have read it continously the past 3 years. I have given it as gifts to numerous friends and family. I am not a professional artist by any means...I sell electronic components/widgets. For years I knew I wanted to get in touch with my "creative" side, but couldn't find the how to's or make the "time"..sorry excuses. Well, this book came into my life and I started following Ms. Cameron's exercises...A whole new world opened up for me. I started noticing simple things, like birds! Flowers blooming, sunlight reflecting on the pond down the street from where I live. And I followed her MUST DO instructions of keeping a Morning Journal. One must write LONG HAND 3 pages of stream of consciousness ramblings. You can write anything..it isn't an exercise in creative writing. It is a ritual of clearing your self out so you can allow NEW stuff to enter into your creative soul.
I recommend this book very highly to EVERYONE!
Artist, salesperson, auto mechanic, mother, teenager..everyone can benefit from this easy and enjoyable book to read.
on October 30, 2013
I was very pleased with the delivery of this book. Much quicker than expected and a brand new book well produced. It requires a fair degree of effort to follow the program but I am in my fourth week and believe it is having a positive impact on my attitude. I would not recommend it to someone who is seeking a quick fix to their problems. This is for the thinking person who is prepared to take the time for longterm self-betterment.
on May 4, 2016
It is a self help text, and the author is, so to speak, quite simple person coming across as fascinated by foreign words she doesn't understand and random 'celebrities' barely known to anyone . Despite simplicity, the text has useful ideas on how to combat procrastination.
on March 4, 2006
I really enjoyed this book, I have it for years, and I keep going back to it. If there is a time when I am too distracted with my life, and I feel that I am no longer in touch with my inner self, I start to read this book again, and do some of the exercises, and it truly helps. I think when one becomes very overloaded with work and family affairs, it is natural that one can become less creative. Reading this book and doing the exercises recommended, I found that I felt more concentrated in my work, and better all round. It is definatly a book that I recommend to anyone that could use some help in living for themselves as well as for everyone else.
on August 11, 2002
Julia Cameron's book was so inspiring and encouraging. This book is for anyone who wants to recover their creativity. I learned that everyone's creative. She changed my beliefs of what's possible for me as an artist. She made a connection between spirituality and creativity which I had never previously considered. She helped to keep me from becoming a bocked writer with her artist's dates and with filling the well. Though it may seem silly the artist date is like a play date for yourself and Julia Cameron explains that as you take images out of your "well" you must keep "filling the well" with new images or the well will dry up. If the well dries up you can become a blocked artist. The artist recovery course is a total of twelve weeks. She shows the reader how to deal with rejection and disappointment. She has a few quotes on the suject such as one quoted by Blake Edwards, "...he concluded that creativity, not time, would best heal his creative wounds." She also offered a great piece of advice. When struck by loss or rejection as an artist instead of saying why me or what's the point, ask "what next?" The rough translation is,and I quote, "Don't let the bastards get you down." One of my favorite things about the book is that throughout the entire book she has inspiring and encouraging quotes on the sidelines of the pages. I loved reading them all. There's too much information to sum up the book up well in a review. You have to read the book, but one of my favorite questions she had was this one:
Question: "Do you know how old I'll be by the time I learn to really play the piano/act/paint/write a decent play?"
Answer: "...the same age you will be if you don't."