sports tools Echo Dot countdown boutiques-francophones Introducing Fire TV Stick Basic Edition WFM home Kindle

Customer reviews

Guide to Canadian Vegetable Gardening
Format: Paperback|Change
Price:$25.64+ Free shipping

on April 13, 2015
Easy to read, concise instructions for a variety of veggies and fruits. Authors sense of humor and tips makes reading the material much more enjoyable.

Suggestions for improvement? It would have been great to see some longer-term fruits featured, such as fruit trees.
on August 25, 2017
Nice introduction to canadian vegetable growing.
on August 13, 2017
ok
on March 5, 2017
Awesome book for beginners!
on December 15, 2013
This book didn't provide as much in depth information , especially for more northern areas of Ontario, as I had expected.
on January 11, 2011
My wife enjoys gardening so I gave her this little gem for Christmas. After reading it she told me that even though she has been gardening for many years she was still able to learn a number of valuable pieces of information.
on May 26, 2009
I've been puttering around with my vegetable garden for four or five years now, picking up pieces of advice from books, radio programs, the web, etc. but this is the first source I've come across with such simple, easy to use tips from a Canadian perspective. Want to know what zone you live in? What's the best way to improve your soil? What veggies will grow best and how should I space them in a small garden plot? All these questions and more will be answered by author Doug Green.

Another significant feature is the When To Plant, Where To Plant, and How To Plant sections for everything from Asparagus to Watermelon. Care & Maintainance and Additional Information sections that round out the individual vegetable breakdowns are helpful to new and experienced gardeners alike.

An overall useful, educational, and fun read. Green is a serious gardener but doesn't take himself overly seriously and his primary piece of advice for us novice gardeners is have fun. I like that.
on June 13, 2014
Lots of great info on methods to keep your soil healthy over the years. Healthy soil = great harvest. Each vegetables gets 2 pages of information on them(4 pages for tomatoes). We are told, for each vegetables, when to plant, how to plant, how to feed and how to care for them. And also, which are good options to start inside the house and transplanted outside at the end of may. Really nice. There is also a section on herbs.

Yes, the author included kohlrabi in the vegetable section, but that's because they do grow nicely in Canada! And here in Québec, we see them alot now for sale in public markets, as they catch people's eyes. Really great to know we can actually grow them easily in our own garden!

There is also information on how to maximize your garden space, like growing cucumbers on stakes while putting salads under them. Or growing bush beans under tomatoes plant, etc. I only wish the section on controlling insects organically would have been bigger.

All in all, this book is an awesome resource for us Canadian home garderners.
on March 9, 2014
This is a good book for beginners and an excellent reference for gardeners in Canada.
Basic tips on organic gardening, when to plant, when to transplant, main pests control, how to fertilize. I found timing to be a challenge in my first attempts to build a garden. Since the author is in zone 5, I used his examples on my garden and it works great.
on September 3, 2013
Canada is a big country with very many different climatic regions, from severe cold to tropical paradise. The Guide To Canadian Vegetable Gardening is a very handy book written specifically for Canadians and answering many questions that some gardeners in this country may not be able to find without some digging.

The book is easy to read, covers many of the plants you might want to try and offers many tips that will help gardeners get the most out of their plot of land, whether it's in Fort McMurray or Windsor.

Only thing that would be better than the Guide To Canadian Vegetable Gardening would be one focused specifically on southern Ontario, but that would be a bit too much to ask!