countdown boutiques-francophones Learn more vpcflyout home All-New Kindle Explore the Vinyl LP Records Store sports tools

Format: Paperback|Change

Showing 1-1 of 1 reviews(4 star). Show all reviews
I was first introduced to JavaScript while building one of my websites. Knowing absolutely nothing, I essentially learned through trial by fire. I did a lot of copying and pasting of bits of code that I found on the Internet. Then, when something didn't work properly I would just experiment until I solved the problem. Still, there always seemed to be some sort of unexpected results, mostly because I didn't understand the complexities of the code.

I really could have used a good basic introduction to JavaScript like Eloquent JavaScript. This book starts at the very start- What is JavaScript? Then, gradually teaches code through a wide variety of entertaining "real" life situations: from explanations about strings and values through objects and nodes to html and forms.

My favourite example is sorting through Aunt Emily the cat lover's emails so that you sound interested in her life. Laziness leads to figuring out an easier way. I found these little humorous tidbits took the edge off what could have been pretty mind numbingly bland learning.