Echo Spot fd18 boutiques-francophones Introducing Fire 7 tablet, starting at $59.99 WFM Furniture Kindle Paperwhite Explore the Amazon.ca Vinyl LP Records Store fd18 Tools

on November 16, 2013
I read the jacket notes with anticipation, as my husband & I had recently been in both China and Japan. I thought - great! - here's a book that will tell a story of the two cultures living and struggling together here in America.

I was more than a little disappointed. I felt there was so much more under the surface that wasn't written - but maybe that is truly how the two cultures actually subsist in today's world?

It was interesting in the story of the internment of the Japanese in Seattle. Probably a lot like what we had here in Canada. There was a special friendship, bound by a common interest in jazz - that was deeply touching, but this could have been so much more.
Not a bad read and, at times, very good - but could have been so much more.
on November 2, 2013
This book was recommended to me by a friend who's father was Japanese and who lived through this era. I read it just after my return from a trip to China. It is simply but expertly written in a manor to capture the reader's interest but also to share the cultural blend of the Chinese, Japanese and American influences on the history of those early pioneers. A wonderful, warm story of a tragic part of our history.!

I am recommending this to my grandchildren who live near Seattle.
on August 28, 2017
This was fabulous book. Well written and very engaging. I learned a lot about part of history I knew little about and the love stories were touching. Thoroughly enjoyed it. Highly recommend.
on February 17, 2017
The internment of Japanese in America was something I as a Canadian had not thought about a lot. I am delighted, and saddened, to have read a novel that made me pause and think. Hope is often something we fear because it can lead to disappointment but without hope, we are guaranteed to live in disappointment.
on March 25, 2016
Truly a "bitter sweet" story of love and family dedication. One could feel the same emotions as the characters while reading. Very well written.
on March 25, 2013
I chose this rating because I felt the characters were well protrayed. I felt empathy for the Japanese people and the main characters of this book and I got a better view of how the American Japanese people were treated. It also kept it's moral integrity - which is very important to me when choosing a book. I would highly recommend this read.
on February 19, 2013
This book was recommended by a friend after I commented that I was disappointed by the Marigold Hotel book. I thought this was a beautiful love story, set in the craziness that was the U.S./Canada world war 2 times. It encompasses racism, families, love and friendship and certainly makes you think about your own relationships. I was not disappointed with this book.
on April 18, 2018
Very interesting novel set in history of japanese internment and enviornmet for japanese an chinese children during this period.
on January 16, 2016
An easy read, the story touches the heart. It was an interesting read and I learnt more about the role of Japan during WW11. As the two main characters grow and develop, their lives are irrevocably changed by events that are beyond their control.
on February 8, 2016
I really liked this novel. It was well written and the storyline was linked to such an important piece of history that is so often overlooked.