Echo Spot countdown boutiques-francophones Introducing Fire TV Stick Basic Edition WFM Furniture Kindle Explore the Amazon.ca Vinyl LP Records Store sports Tools

Customer reviews

Frostbite (Vampire Academy, Book 2)
Format: Paperback|Change

on February 26, 2014
I am really enjoying this series. Book two is every bit as good as book one. It tends to lean a little more towards character development for a while....then BAM the last quarter is nothing but action. This book, and series, is so far very very good. Please Ms. Mead keep it going like this, unlike the way the Anita Blake series went after about book 9 or so.
Very well done. I am getting tons of enjoyment out of this series. ( and later nights then usual, meaning less sleep) lol
on March 16, 2014
The initial constant recap was a bit tedious but beyond that, I really enjoyed this book. Rose has really developed as a character and the new plots add a lot to the storyline. I loved that this book had less gossip. I love that the dynamic between Rose and her mother is further explored. I like Adrian and I'm curious how his presence will change things in the next book. This book had me laughing out loud at some of his remarks. Definitely worth the read!
on March 18, 2015
I just find these graphic novels are rushed. Significant things are left out. Not a lot of explanation. Unless you've read the novels you wouldn't understand these.
on May 15, 2016
Some surprising events in the company of the great characters from the first novel. Liked the growth of Mia's character.
on February 18, 2014
The world building in this book was so much more detailed the the first , the character development and relationships keep you gripped to your chair I read this book in one sitting. If this isn't on your TBR it needs to be ASAP.
on July 4, 2015
Such a fun read!
on July 8, 2015
The first book in the series & the movie made me postpone frostbite for a few months, but when I picked it up last week, it was just the pick-me-up I needed. Once I stopped being such a snob and turning brain off, it was a blast. Yeah, the writing isn't great, but Oh! was it fun to read! I ended up procrastinating all the other stuff I had to do just to finish the book! And once that was over I was hooked! I needed my fix and ran to the bookstore just before closing hours to get the next one (Yes it was that awesome).

Great characters. I love Belikov and Hathaway together! And Christian is bae. The new royal was surprisingly very interesting and I love him (if only he'd let go of Rose).

I also realized some major character development from Rose. Yes, she is childish at times, but I can sense a maturity in her that is starting to evolve and, FINALLY, she starts thinking before she does stuff (YA characters take notes!).

HOWEVER, I did find it annoying how slow and dumb the dhampirs and moroi were to get themselves out of troubling situations. DoesRichelle Mead really think they are that dumb. And just explaining there stupidity with a sentence isn't enough for me to pardon them taking days to find a solution that I had almost immediately figured out.
on October 30, 2010
As in the first book, Rose steals the show in this one again. I'd have to say I have never read a dynamic and exciting character as her. Her off comments, her toughness, and her thoughts elicited either a chuckle, or a cheer from me. I'd say Rose will be one of my favorite characters ever, and one of the most enjoyable to read.

This time around, the plot was good, although not as intriguing or mysterious as the first one. It still had its interesting moments though, and I thought the storyline with Rose and her mother was done very well. I rather like how Rose played tough, especially in front of her mom (with rather painful results) and her mom is exactly the same way. However both of them also have a soft side to them which neither will show to one another. Their relationship is awkward and they often clash because of their strong personalities and despite this, there's a underlying deep respect. I thought Rose acted a little childish in this book though and it did get annoying in certain parts of the book. I'm glad Dimitri and her mother gave her a good telling off for her behavior however, how long it'll take for Rose to stay that way one can never tell.

I absolutely LOVE the tension between Rose and Dimitri in this book. Wow! you can most certainly feel it and the emotions they're feeling is plain to see. I absolutely love the way both of them are portrayed. Lissa and Christian make a great couple, although because they're in many ways 'perfect' for each other, I think they're not as exciting to read about than Rose and Dimitri. I am taking a liking to Lissa though, she's starting to develop into her own character and not always having to hang off Rose all the time. I'm really liking the fact that she's starting to go on her own and her personality is growing stronger. I'm hoping her character will get even more stronger in the next book.

The ending of this one was a bit of a shocker although shame on me for not seeing this one coming. I think Rose is about to overcome quite of few changes to her life. Whether that changes her personality, we'll see in the further books to come. There's isn't much of a cliffhanger ending, but the particular story arc finishes and you're basically prepared to read the next 'episode'.

This book focuses more on Rose's development, and it's written well. The main plot advances just enough to keep the reader entertained yet at the same time, wanting us to keep on reading this fantastic series.
on July 22, 2009
Frostbite is the second book in the amazing Vampire Academy series written by Richelle Mead. The first book was great but the second one is even better. Rose is 6 months away from her graduation; she'll be a full fledged guardian. She has to meet a very well known guardian for an evaluation, and since he can't leave the moroi he is protecting, Rose and Dimitri heads out to meet him. Only what they found wasn't what they expected. The entiere royal family and their guardians have all been slaughtered, evidences points in the direction of an alliance between strogois and humans. School is now on a high alert and many guardians comes in to protect the young ones, including Rose's mother. All school is brought on a mandatory ski trip and Rose meets Adrian who's disliked by all her friends due to his reputation. He isn't the one who will get them in trouble tho. Everything goes wrong when 3 students leave the school wanting to take out a group of strogois by themselves and of course Rose can't let that happen. She's running after them with Christian and finds more then she wished for.

I am totally in love with Rose personality, her dilemma between Dimitri and Mason, her hard time dealing with her mother, her sense of honor and how she does everything to protect the ones she loves. She isn't perfect, she got her flaws and that's what makes her so interesting. You grow with her as the series develops. It is definitely my favorite series! Even tho it's young adult rated, I promise you adult will find their share of excitement in this novel. I was very glad I already had the third book of the series in my possession, waiting for the release would have been torture!
on January 19, 2009
For Rose Hathaway, life as a Guardian-in-training at St. Vladimir's Academy is never easy.

While her best friend, future charge, and sole remaining member of the royal family member (Lissa) may no longer be in direct danger, the Strigoi (those vampires who drink blood, possess super-strength, have red pupils, and also have no qualms about using their powers over the elements as a method of attack) are still the greatest threat facing their Moroi counterparts.

Rose and her number-one crush, instructor Dimitri Belakov, discover just how significant this threat is when they arrive at what should have been Rose's make-up Qualifier exam with famed Guardian Arthur Schoenberg. What they find instead is seven royal Moroi, massacred in their own home along with their Guardians - and evidence that the Strigoi are now being helped by humans.

With Christmas vacation drawing near, St. Vlad's is on high alert and not terribly inclined to unleash their students into the great wide world. A school field trip to an exclusive Moroi ski lodge is the perfect solution, not just for a Moroi seeking to elude the Strigoi, but also for Rose, who's looking to escape two recent female campus arrivals - one of whom has a history and penchant for flirting with Dimitri.

What guests from St. Vlad's and elsewhere will soon realize, though, is that their enemies are much closer than they think.

FROSTBITE is an engrossing, complex paranormal follow-up to VAMPIRE ACADEMY, with a page-turning plot and deeply layered characters, whose growth and development over the course of the novel is believable and (in some cases) inevitable. Though there were a few scenes that lagged, I had a hard time putting this book down even for necessities like eating and sleeping.

Reviewed by: Cat