Echo Spot fd18 boutiques-francophones Introducing Fire TV Stick Basic Edition WFM Furniture Kindle Paperwhite fd18 Tools

Customer reviews

Transcend: Nine Steps to Living Well Forever
Format: Hardcover|Change

on December 12, 2016
He lost me with endless lists of expensive medical tests he recommends. I don't know about your doctor, but mine wouldn't take kindly to my approaching him the way Kurzweil suggests, with an extremely long list of things I want him to do. Doctors usually order tests they think are necessary, and many of these will not be considered so. Beyond that, I expected this to be a step-by-step ("Nine Steps") guide, telling me what to do to be well and live a long life. Instead, the information is presented in a confusing mini explosion of ideas on pages, with the guidance that individuals will each need individualized plans. Are we expected to get this plan by paying a fortune to become his patients? His fees are extremely high. I was left not really knowing what he intended for me to do, and with a sort of sick feeling that if I don't find a way to pay for his program, I'm likely to die much younger than necessary. I find that I'm left just resenting his half-help. Might have been useful if I had tens of thousands of dollars to spare on his individualized programs.
on October 2, 2017
Great Read, In general Ray Kurzweil does a good job with his writing and he like to use the form of conversation that make it easy to understand.
on August 30, 2015
Amazing book itself but not really a great Kindle version
One person found this helpful
on May 9, 2017
I enjoyed this book and it's recommendations. It has been a good reference in helping me obtain a healthy lifestyle
on February 22, 2016
Comprehensive guide on the way to longevity.
on October 8, 2015
very happy with this purchase. After reading just a couple of paragraphs I knew this book would be of value to my life..
on November 7, 2014
This is a book. I did not finish said book but I do like to read/watch what Ray has to say. He is thinking outside of the normal health box and that is something I can get on board with. The future is now!...or soon!

if you watched his latest movie with the similar title , and enjoyed it, you will most likely enjoy this book.
on October 11, 2010
This is a book well worth reading (and paying for). The in-depth version came out a few years ago as 'Fantastic Voyage: Live Long Enough to Live Forever' and with Transcend most of the speculation about future technologies (MOST) has been cut out, and the focus instead is on "Bridge One", i.e., getting your frickin' act together TODAY. The themes are fairly obvious (exercise, stop eating crap, don't chug coffee every day), but the greatness is in the many details and specific recommendations (and substitutions for all those terrible foods and habits you enjoy indulging in). I have read all of Ray Kurzweil's books now (except his one on managing Diabetes, since it doesn't exactly concern me) and every one has been enlightening and provocative.

The book is clearly aimed at the middle aged, those who (according to the authors) have the most to gain and who are at the most risk, but even if you're my age (26 years old) you can get a lot of benefit from following this book, especially in the nutrition section. I've found many guys (and girls) my age are fairly active physically and intellectually, but because we haven't really begun to feel the effects of aging yet, diet is of very little interest to us. I have good friends who smoke regularly because: "So what man, I can run 10 miles!" This book makes it clear what is going on subtly, behind the scenes as you pump your body full of toxins and bad food, daily!

Because of this book and Fantastic Voyage, I have (over the last couple of years) become a vegetarian (from being a lifelong, HEAVY carnivore), gone from being a total coffee fiend to drinking about one espresso per day and mostly just green tea, begun to appreciate the value of at least some supplements and vitamins in pill form, and started reading a lot more extensively about future technological developments and the real potential of what we can do and experience if we live healthfully for the next 30-50 years. I originally bought these both for my 60-something father, but he never read them and I did, and I can say not only that I feel better but indeed I feel at 26 to adopt these measures I am WAY ahead of the game.

Get it, read it, consider it - and if you find it makes good sense, follow it.
6 people found this helpful
on June 7, 2009
This is an easy read and summarizes a lot of the material from Fantastic Voyage. Although there is not much new here it will perhaps create more converts to the premise that radical life extension is possible; when a critical mass of people have this understanding then the momentum should pick up (exponentially:)
on December 13, 2015
I'm 53 years old as I read this book and the realization hits me: I may die - or not.

A bit dry - it IS about medicine after all - but at the end of each chapter I felt amazed enough to read the next.
One person found this helpful