countdown boutiques-francophones Learn more scflyout Furniture All-New Kindle Music Deals Store sports Tools

on April 6, 2013
This book has changed my life. On the outside I was succeeding in life, but in the inside I was numb. I was burned out from the challenges of life, job and difficult persons. It evolved so that I was doing life versus living life. My feelings became a flat line, no deep lows nor highs.

It was discouraging to think of reading this recommended book and having another thing to do, to learn. I was advised that this book would actually help me let go of things to do.

After reading the book, I realized I was frozen in feelings, did not want to say or do anything that would hurt someone, nor feel hurt myself. This book taught me to feel difficult feelings go through me, label them and let them go, versus freezing the pain trying to stop it from entering further. I learned how the brain and body works with feelings, so I could flow with it. By acknowledging the good and bad feelings as they passed through me, with self loving kindness, I came to understand myself better, to "live" life.

One of my favorite books that made a big difference in my life, to experience and enjoy life.

on September 14, 2013
This is a marvelous book to anyone. it is particularly cogent for those of us who make strange decisions based on low self-esteem. It allows one to explore how to live with a kinder gentler hand. Excellent meditations and visualizations. Good read for those in recovery from a broken heart
on February 24, 2016
It has been said before, and it is cliche, but there are no other words other than that this book has changed my life for the better. It has helped my relationship with myself, everyone I know and love, and my relationship with the world. It may be odd but I honestly consider this book my bible - whenever I am struggling with something I always find the answer in this book. The answers in this book are nothing less than realistic, and practical.

There is nothing grandiose about attaining happiness, and this booked has helps immensely in finding peace in this world.

The subtitle scares some people off I think, but if you consider that every single person has destructive thoughts, then it is applicable to helping everyone.
on May 26, 2014
This is a great book for therapists to read and then use with their clients or for anyone wanting to delve into mindfulness and self compassion. The exercises are easy to follow and build on the preceeding one.

Christopher Germer knows what he is talking about.
on July 8, 2012
A beautiful book for those learning and practicing mindfulness. If you have battled depression, anxiety, feelings of shame, then this book will guide you in searching to heal with self-compassion and self-love.

There are meditations in the book as well. You can download the guided meditations on the author's website.
on May 10, 2013
This is one of the most useful books in the field of mindfulness. I liked the accessibility to exercises and the understandable wording used by the author. I would recommend this book to everyone who is interested in living a mindful life.
on July 27, 2016
i like this book, it is formidable, intelligent, and i have a high respect for the author and his experience and education

however, i jumped to kristin neff's book on self compassion and got a lot more out of it. they are colleagues i believe so perhaps their work compliments each other,

but i liked the way kristin neff positioned mindfulness, it worked a lot better for me. the metta work in this book was great too, but kristin has more techniques. seeing mindfulness as a tool to allow us to 'respond' to our lack of self compassion, really works. too much is made of mindfulness, perhaps because it was a long standing religion (and religious practices die hard!). but it is a fundamental background for being able to track what is happening so one can apply care. good luck to all.
on July 11, 2016
The sentence structure is really difficult to digest. It almost seems erratic and badly organized, almost teenage stage of writing. There were some great points but the sentence structure made it really difficult to take the book seriously.
on June 16, 2016
This is quite possibly the best book written on self-compassion thus far. It provides meditation practices to follow, which ones that would best suit your style, and helps you to create a meditation practice that you can implement within your current lifestyle. More importantly, he dives into mindfulness as well and gives very detailed descriptions of the fundamentals of both loving-kindness meditation and mindful awareness. Great book for both beginners and experts alike.
on January 15, 2014
The book provides a good understanding of mindfulness and self compassion. It is a bit difficult to implement on own. Probably best to connect with a coach/therapist, someone with an expertise to guide you through.