Echo Spot countdown boutiques-francophones Introducing Fire 7 tablet, starting at $59.99 WFM Furniture Kindle Paperwhite Deathwish Explore the Amazon.ca Vinyl LP Records Store sports Tools

Customer reviews

Caregiver's Guide for Canadians
Format: Paperback|Change

on September 14, 2010
A superbly written and well documented book that guides the reader through typical eldercare issues provided by professional and private caregivers. Rick Lauber is a Canadian author who offers a comprehensive guide to care of our loved ones in their "greying" years, including resources, checklists, and worksheets. The author packs this little gem with practical advice such as wills, trusteeships, guardianships, driving and home safety, mobility aids, hospital visits, accommodation, travel, demographic charts, ideas for gifts, special occasions, the best times to visit one's loved one, activities and support groups, finances, and much more. There is also a section on avoiding burnout. This invaluable book is a must for the one in five Canadians who are providing or will provide care to an elderly parent.
2 people found this helpful
on February 8, 2011
I don't know why this essential book is not more widely publicized. It's a lifesaver for anyone who is caring for elderly parents or relatives. Utilizing his own personal experience, the author adeptly addresses every and any issue caregivers are faced with.

I'm amazed at all the details covered in this helpful guide. Some examples of the important information addressed include sharing caregiving duties & defining roles; caregiving from away; all manner of emotional aspects; living arrangements & other responsibilities; paperwork; things to do together or when visiting; managing the medical aspects; keeping balance in your own life; and so much more. A quick flip through the Table of Contents demonstrates just how much help resides within this book. A review never quite touches all the multiple benefits that rest between the pages of such a helpful book.

At the back of the book are pages of helpful resources, including links to organizations and government agencies. Then a final section dedicated to checklists and worksheets. He has thought of everything!

Being a caregiver can be frustrating, tiring, and sometimes confusing. "Caregiver's Guide for Canadians" is a tool, much like a roadmap (or GPS) to help guide you through the trying times. It's also like having your own companion letting you know you're not alone and how to move forward as a caregiver. Do yourself or someone you know who is a caregiver, and buy this book.

I've already told my local librarian she needs to have a copy in our library for those in the immediate community.
on September 11, 2010
A 'Jewel' is a valuable item held for life and shared with others. CAREGIVERS GUIDE for CANADIANS is such a jewel. Much of
what you will need to know when being a caregiver. Don't think you will? Statistics are over 60% of people will be. Or you
may have to HAVE a caregiver at some point - want to be looked after in the best manner? Read the book!! The experiences
written about will make you want to fill out the sample forms in the last section of the book for all possible situations.
There are also aids and resources listed. Wish I had had those lists when I was first a caregiver!! Would have saved time,
energy,money,STRESS!! Don't kid yourself - this book is a necessity!! (No,I'm not a relation of his! - just a suffering
fellow caregiver). Read his blog when you google the book!
One person found this helpful
on September 26, 2011
At this point, my parents are doing ok, but I can see that they are getting older and less able than they were ten years ago. I can see that my siblings and I will have to take more and more on to take care of my parents. This book gives me comfort because it answers my questions about what to do and I can see it will only become more helpful as I take on more of a caregivers role for my parents.
on March 13, 2011
A wonderful, concise, and practical book. Lauber writes in a style that is easy to read, clear, and compassionate. While the subject of caregiving is a difficult one, Lauber approaches it in a way that a mentor, or wise uncle would...caring, yet firm, and full of useful tidbits and resources.

I highly recommend this to anyone currently in a caregiving capacity serving elderly loved ones.
on July 17, 2012
I truly enjoyed reading the personal element of Caregiver's Guide for Canadians. I haven't been a caregiver yet in my life but as my own parents age, I feel that I've gained valuable insight about how to approach such a situation with grace.

This resource is a must-have for anyone becoming a caregiver.
on September 16, 2011
I was with both my parents through final illnesses in the 1990s and early 2000s. This book would have been so much help to me as I waded through the administrative procedures of retirement residences and home care, etc. Even though they were in a different province, the book is written for the Canadian audience so was still pertinent. Most of all, it would have helped me with the emotional turmoil that I felt, seeing my parents, one by one, failing. Well done, Lauber!
on November 9, 2011
Wow! I didn't know what to expect but was very impressed by the book. It was very informative, and even enjoyable to read with all the little stories throughout. I also very much appreciated the fact that the author continuously reinforced the importance of a caregiver taking time to rest and recharge their batteries. The quotes at every chapter were great too.
on August 2, 2012
The author does a great job of providing information for caregivers. Great book for anyone who is in the process of searching for and understanding options about and for caregiving. Having a book with Canadian information is a great advantage.