Echo Spot countdown boutiques-francophones Introducing Fire TV Stick Basic Edition WFM Furniture Kindle Paperwhite Explore the Amazon.ca Vinyl LP Records Store fd18 Tools

Customer reviews

on March 17, 2017
This is by far one of my favourite books in life.

Why? Easy to read and author conveys ground breaking views on sex work which made me redefine life in general.

I read this as part of a sec workers course, and I would say that in the end, this small book defined my 4 years of University! There is nothing better I have read where strong ground breaking view points have been shared in such a concise and fun way through cartoons.
on October 11, 2017
Bonne lecture!
on January 28, 2017
great read
on January 19, 2015
Not one of Chester's best, but entertaining nonetheless.
on August 2, 2015
Best!
on August 31, 2012
While this graphic novel covers a potentially compelling topic, there is a lack of depth that left me unsatisfied and wanting for something deeper. I kept waiting for Brown to look more deeply into the humanity of buying and selling sex - the impulses, needs and drives that bring resonance- but he just never goes there. It seems Brown's story coasts on the surface and is somewhat disconnected from a deeper resonance when it comes both to the depiction of himself and the women he pays, leading to him and the women coming across as silted and inhuman. The lack of emotional connection left me disappointed and feeling that the deeper insight I was seeking was missing. Likewise, the extensive, libertarian notes that end the book are nearly unreadable and somewhat baffling in their seeming lack of integration into the actual body of work.
on March 8, 2017
A illustrated journey explaining how millions of lonely men are rejected by women.
One person found this helpful
on May 11, 2011
A really interesting and thought-provoking new comic book from the master of "graphic non-fiction," Chester Brown. I was a huge fan of Louis Riel and this follow up goes back to his autobio roots for more of the joys of the author's sex life. Namely, this is an exploration of paying for sex and all that entails. Chester has been his usual thorough self and has the research and footnotes to prove it. He has convinced me on his main point: that prostitution should be decriminalized. I agree with that. On his secondary points, that romantic love is dead and marriage is a doomed institution, I remain unconvinced. But I'm glad he's found something that works for him.

Along with the prurient interest of so much paid sex in this book, there is also the tension of so many awkward social situations in meeting and bedding all these strangers that he normally wouldn't have the wherewithal to talk to in a bar or something. And then there are all the great conversations with his stunned friends and ex-girlfriends who are trying to wrap their heads around this new dimension in his life. It's a great read for all these reasons, but also for the understated honesty of his artwork: the same eight small panels per page, the great sense of cartoony realism that he captures. Nothing is overblown or amped up, but it is recognizably stylized.

All in all, another great and compelling read from Brown. Make sure you read all the end notes and commentary at the end. Great stuff.
5 people found this helpful
on August 4, 2017
Fun read with a great new perspective.
on May 24, 2011
Wow, what a book. Nothing like I expected, but then, I didn't know what to expect. Also, I'd never read any of Chester's books prior. Funnily enough, I was reading two books simultaneously, one on Shakespeare, and Chester's book on his experiences as a john. The Shakespeare book was superficial and frivolous, while Chester's is deep and cerebral. Who'd have thunk it? And I especially appreciated Chester's out-of-the-box thinking about prostitution being illegal. Why is it illegal? Much better to legalize and regulate it, imo, mind you I know Chester is even against regulation. Refreshing thinking in this age of the nanny state, particularly when the immediate knee-jerk solution to any problem is to ban the offending product/service/activity/what-have-you, as opposed to offering real solutions and alternatives if there even is an actual problem.
2 people found this helpful