countdown boutiques-francophones Learn more vpcflyout home All-New Kindle Music Deals Store sports Tools Registry

Format: DVD|Change

on April 8, 2002
"I Still Know What You Did Last Summer" (1998)
... This movie is cheesy, unrealistic and downright silly, but I loved the first movie, and Jennifer Love Hewitt is irresistible. I know I usually have a different word to everyone else on these types of movies, but if I enjoy myself, that is how I base my rating. This movie is my one of my best guilty pleasures, and I don't care what everyone else thinks, I enjoy watching it and that's me.
Now ... why do I like this movie? There are many reasons. For starters, it's got everything a fun teen slasher requires. Lots of big breasts, reasonably good acting, truckloads of gore, unpredictable twists and turns, some big laughs, a scary killer and a brilliant setting. To add to that, the movie never stops with the scares, is never boring and had something that I really appreciated. In some teen slashers (Urban Legends: Final Cut especially) the main characters really don't really seem to care after their friends/people have been killed. In I Still Know What You Did Last Summer; Julie James is a very respectable character. She stills mourns for those she has lost and those she may lose. I was actually shocked with the amount of emotion the movie put on when showing Julie's new life and what she goes through.
The acting in the film is satisfactory for a horror film. Jennifer Love Hewitt returns as Julie James and once again she proves she's not just about looks, this girl can act. I want to see her give a performance that can give that idea more justice, not just horror movies please! Still she is good as Julie. Freddie Prinze, Jr. also returns and he has improved his acting skills. He puts on a solid performance. Brandy is very eager in the material and her performance worked for me. Mekhi Phifer had me rolling in the aisles with his fun performance as Brandy's horny boyfriend. I also enjoyed the underused Jennifer Esposito as the bartender on the island, and Jeffrey Combs' breakaway as the ruthless hotel owner. Muse Watson is scary and evil again, his facials are fantastic, but every time the guy talks I cringe. I just can't take his lines that seriously. Bill Cobbs is merely okay as the weird guy on the island who is suspected as the killer.
Danny Cannon's direction of the movie deserves recognition. The guy makes sure the movie looks great and brings tonnes of atmosphere to the movie. The killing scenes are done to perfection. I was glad he didn't just take the point-and-shoot routine that many horror movies use these days. Cannon put effort into his surroundings. Unfortunately the film editing is pretty atrocious. The characters' mouths move a lot when they're not saying anything, and injuries are cleared up very easily, like in one shot the person is hit hard with something, and then in the next shot they're running like hell and not even a bruise. Think about the editing techniques next time, Dan.
Trey Callaway's script is not perfect. While he does mix in freaky-as-hell horror with funny-as-hell comedy quite well with some great in-jokes and an excellent setting for a horror film, there is not much depth or range in the film. He does make sure all the possibilities are used for the killing scenes and horror action, but if Kevin Williamson had written this sequel, I feel it would've been a little more plausible. If you've seen the end of I Know What You Did Last Summer you'll know what I'm talking about, Ben Willis just couldn't of survived.
Bad editing, some silly dialogue, unanswered questions and cheesy lines do stop the movie from being great. There is also not enough depth to the film and damn, what was the final scene all about? But, excuse that and you've got what is my favourite guilty pleasure at the moment, and a fun slice of harmless horror.
MY GRADE: B
on March 11, 2002
'I Still Know What You Did Last Summer' really does milk the slasher formula. It's a follow-up to the pretty good 'I Know What You Did Last Summer' but the first movie already killed off the only two members of the cast that could act. The title is also all wrong - shouldn't it be the summer before last?
The story involves Julie (Jennifer Love Hewitt) and her new best friend (Brandy) win a trip to the Caribbean. So off they hop to a conveniently remote island with Brandy's boyfriend and a random guy that they don't know. The fact that's it's storm season leads to a lot of obvious plots involving people not being heard over the wind and a lot of thunder that is probably supposed to rack up tension. There is absolutely nothing tense about this movie. The usual round of killings ensue with a man stalking through the hotel, which is inexplicably almost empty save for a few signposted red herrings.
Whilst the first movie had a tongue-in-cheek yet still fairly creepy script by Kevin Williamson of 'Scream' fame, this has no hallmarks whatsoever. Apart from Brandy, who manages to ground the rest of the cast, the acting is dismal. It says it all when the audience looks forward to the arrival of Freddy Prinze Junior. The ending is laughable and there isn't a scare in sight. This isn't just one of the worst sequels ever made but one of the worst movies too.
on January 5, 2002
This, i guess, is the exception that proves the rule. Almost all sequels are worse (not always bad, just a bit less enjoyable) than the originals films which spawned them.
This film has everything the original had (including... Jennifer Love Hewitt!!!) and even more. There are more killings, more plot facets (they add in the trip to the Bahamas, Nancy, who is a rather good character, the deal with the voodoo, the storm, and lots of other stuff.) Most sequels are just re-hashings of the first film, just with more blood. But instead, this film had plot as well, and wasnt just pointless killing.
Estas (im not really sure of his name, but it sounded a bit like that i think) is a great character, and although his part is small he really does give lots to the film. As too does the hotel manager, who was at times hilarious, and at others creepy.
There was a nice twist in the end, which made up nicely for the fact taht we already knew the identity of the killer.
The acting was okay, especially Jennifer Love Hewitt. Even Brandy, who i had low expectations of, managed to surprise.
I can't think of many real criticisms of this film, apart from perhaps the slightly corny dialogue at times, and Ben Willis's voice, which really managed to get on my nerves. Otherwise, all aspects of this film were great. there was some nice scenery, good acting, a really superb plot, and lots of nice shots of JLH's clevage (which was shown so much it could probably come under scenery!) some great eccentric characters and a cracking ending. (I am not talking about the very very end, that was a bit disappointing)
those who are aware of their geography may well get a clue near the beginning. I myself did, but i (foolishly) just put it down to a rather stupid radio station.
And now, the infamous "ending". Can it really be called an ending, or is it just the beginning of the next chapter? (or even the end of one) Personally, i didn't really like it, but only if there isn't another film. If there is another film, the it fits.
I would greatly like to see a third volume, especially if the directors are able to come up with such a good sequel as this again.
Top film. Watch it.
on September 4, 2001
This sequel, I Still Know What I Did Last Summer, is a stinker. Not that it doesn't have it's brainless appeal. It does. What makes the first film look like a classic, is that this film doesn't have the fun, cool set-up of the original. It had a creepy feel. This one just falls into typical Friday The 13th type 80's slasher feel in the second half. Not that that's bad. It can be fun. Just don't expect anything from it. Jennifer Love Hewitt is okay in this, but the appeal she had in the first isn't quite here in this one. She seems to be there just to have really hot shots of her body which, um, well, okay, that wasn't a bad thing. Brandy, on the other hand, was wasted. Why was she in this?. Why did she agree to do this?. Freddie Prinze Jr. was another one who was wasted. He got second billing but his part is much smaller than any of the other co-stars. What happened?. The fishermen killer himself was creepy in the first one. Not here. His creepiness was ruined because you see way too much of him in this film. That always hurts a film and character. The ending had another "shock" like the original. Nothing shocking about it. It was expected. You could tell. Let's hope Kevin Williamson comes back to give the third outing more of a hook. Pardon the pun.
on April 17, 2004
He still knows what you did last summer... or wait... he still knows what you did the summer before last summer which means he still knows what he knew last summer about last summer. Gotcha.
Over the past few weeks, I decided to take a little trip down memory lane in watching the horror films I loved as a teenager (re: the post-"Scream" renaissance). Since I've grown up just a little bit over the past few years, I realize there's only four really worthy successors to the entertaining originator even if they do generally pale in comparison. They are "Scream 2," "Urban Legend," "I Know What You Did Last Summer" and "Halloween H20." To a lesser extent, the third "Scream" was pretty good, as well. So, here I was watching "I Still Know..." and wondering why the heck I was so scared by it six years ago.
When I saw it in theaters, the stand-out sequence for me was when Jennifer Love Hewitt was trapped in the tanning bed. My heart was pounding and I was literally on the edge of my seat. How will she get out of this one?! WHEW! Good thing she screams like a banshee and Mekhi Pfeiffer & Co. showed up to save the day. But as I watch it again, only one thing enters my mind: why didn't the fisherman just lift the lid and impale Jennifer with his hook? Did he want this girl to suffer a slow, agonizing death in the vein of being roasted alive? If so, why would he leave after securing the bed? Wouldn't a guy who hates this girl so much stay to watch her wallow in pain and agony? Nah. I figure the fisherman wanted her to be rescued since he knew the male audience wanted to see more of Hewitt in a wet t-shirt and he didn't want to disappoint the producers.
Hewitt turns in a very decent performance, but the rest of the actors range from marginally talented to just plain terrible. The script seems like it was written in one day, the photography is dismally bad, the editing is overly-frantic and the direction is hack-level. But, it is entertaining. This is one of those movies where you couldn't care less who bites it next, so the kills don't exactly tug at your heart. You pretty much want most of these people to die. One character in particular annoyed the crap outta me. As much as I like Jack Black, I couldn't wait for him to die. And it's a good one. Very deserved.
I couldn't decide whether to give this film two or three stars, so I just rate it a 2.5. It's nothing special, and it won't scare you on those dark and stormy nights, but it is pretty entertaining in a dumb kind of way (like the first, which had just a little more class than this one). Recommended if you like this kind of stuff or want to see a close-up of Jennifer Love Hewitt's assets.
on February 29, 2004
Before you even think of wasting your money or time on this movie give me at least a few seconds to try to warn you.
Okay, the first film was an accidental hit to begin with. The acting was lame, the plot boring and the actors nearly imbearable. All except for Prinze Jr. who proves he was probably the only one who attended acting school. Still he didn't sell me on that film and he didn't sell me on this sequel either.
Jennifer Love Hewitt ( I don't watch her movies but I still like her ). She's vibrant and is a good actress if given good material. This was definitely not good material. This sequel was pathetic. It was the same film as the first. The only exception was they added two black people to the cast. ( An obvious ploy to lure us ( blacks ) to watch this film ) as if we're so dumb we'll just go because blacks are in it? It takes a lot more than a faithful minority audience to save this. I had been avoiding this film but decided to give it a try because I was bored to tears. I was pissed because Freddie Prinze Jr. spent the entire two hours with people who weren't significant to the film. It was as if he only returned so you could remember it was a sequel. There were too many wasted people and the twists were laughable. There was nothing original about this movie. I gave it two stars because I love Mikhi Pfeiffer. Other than that, I wouldn't have given it a second thought. Jennifer's part was dumbed down just to appear in this sequel. And Brandy...don't get me started. Brandy cannot act! We all know this but somewhere, someone decided she needed to be in this film. It's obvious the part was made for Brandy because she didn't contribute any real acting abilities. I applaud her effort at her first feature film but now I see why Hollywood isn't begging her back. Pfeiffer was the only shining light, the only spark and he gets killed just when they give him something to do! There was no reason for him to get killed and there was no reason for this movie. I don't even want to waste anymore time talking about this. Just don't watch this. If you want to see a real horror rent Jeepers Creepers or Urban Legends. The only thing scary about this sequel was that I have a feeling another one is on the way. Not worth anyone's time or money.
on October 9, 2003
I can understand why a sequel was made to "I Know What You Did Last Summer" because of the ending of the original. But I DON'T get why it had to be so stereotypical and poor.
The sequel follows Jennifer Love Hewitt's character Julie to college, where she still has flashbacks of that fateful summer where she was being chased by a hook-wielding killer. Her roommate Karla, played with limited acting skills by singer Brandy, tries to take her mind off things and suggests that Julie dates someone new (Julie and Freddie Prinze Jr.'s character Ray are estranged at the film's start). To their surprise, the girls win a trip for four to the Bahamas for answering a trivia question in a radio contest. Julie invites new crush Will (Matthew Settle) and Karla takes along boyfriend Ty (Mekhi Pfeiffer).
Here's where the problems start. First of all, the writers must think that the average viewer of this film has a third-grade education. Intelligent audience members smell a rat early on in the film when the girls incorrectly answer that the capital of Brazil is Rio de Janeiro (it's actually Brasilia). When the real answer is revealed at the climax of the movie, did the writers expect everyone to go "Ohhhhh!!"? I hope they don't think we are THAT stupid!
Another problem: the geniuses behind this film were obviously trying to clinch the attention of the males in the theatre by having Jennifer Love Hewitt run around in white t-shirts drenched with rain. As a heterosexual female, I got tired of seeing Ms. Hewitt bounce around and felt this move was cheap on behalf of the filmmakers. Well, with a sub-par plot and mediocre acting, I guess they felt the need to do something.
One more pet peeve: why must Hewitt sing at some point in every TV show or film she appears in? I cringed at the contrived karaoke scene in this movie. Don't you think it would been more obvious (and probably more enjoyable) to have already-established pop star Brandy sing a song?
Viewers sit through one cliche after another until the unsatisfying and predictable twist is revealed at the end. And then the ending itself is another cliche, hinting once again at another installment. Thank goodness it hasn't been made (yet).
Chalk this up as another unnecessary slasher flick specifically made to capitalize on the success of "Scream." While "Scream" had a certain wit to it, this is plain silliness rolled up with blatant T & A. Don't waste your time.
on September 14, 2003
If you couldn't get enough of attractive well-known actresses from this month's hot TV show being casted in moronic horror movies with no love for the genre whatsoever then I've got good news. Another "I Know What You Did" film. The fisher man with the hook for a hand is back after Hewitt and her obnoxious friends which include returning Freddy Prinze, Brandy, and Mekhi Pfefier as the token black guy.
A year after the first incident, Julie (Hewitt) and company have won a trip to a tropical resort. Little do they know that it has all been set-up by the killer from the original and he is looking for a little more retribution. A predictably gory onslaught ensues to the backdrop of an incoming storm that is making life even more difficult for these poor kids.
Hewitt is the highlight of this film- but not for her acting chops. Her beautiful cleavage and knack for wearing soaking-wet white T-shirts is really the only redeeming value in this very dumb sequel. Jack Black as a goofy white wannabe Jamiacan is too annoying for words. Freddy Prinze is as terrible as always in his portrayal of goofy guy-next-door Ray. Love gets to do her thing here as she not only sings karaoke but gets to explain to co-star Pfeifer why "her people can't dance". Even tremendous character actor, Bill Cobbs, is wasted in this awful sequel. It's over-acting galore as Hewitt and Brandy trade screams and arguments back and forth in the rain. As mediocre and tired as I found the first film, the script for "part two" manages to show it up in every way except the good kind.
on August 25, 2003
I have always wondered why slasher films even bother making sequels...untill now. Yes, thanks to I Still Know, I REALLY wonder.
Ok, so it wasn't horrible. Julie (Hewitt) and Ray (Prinz) Return (but mostly Julie), along with the new faces of Carla (singer Brandy) and Tyrell (Mekhi Phiefer).
Not long after Carla wins a trip to the Bahamas from a local radio station, bringing along Julie and Tyrell, Ray comes face to face with Ben Willis, who he thought was killed the year before. Carla and the gang head off, as planned, when disaster hits: A big rainstorm. Bummer. Not able to get off the island, due to the mysterious dissappearence of the boats and dockman, dead bodies start piling up all over the place, from a slit throated maid to an open chested druggie. Ew.
They soon realize (or at least Julie) that Ben is back in black, and armed with his famous giant fishing hook. after nearly everyone on the island has been sliced and diced, the film finally starts getting good with pleanty of suspenseful chase scenes to keep you watching.
Pleanty of twists also keep coming, making to wonder just who is your friend and who is your enemy. Ooh, how exciting. Now, I won't say what happens, but I think the end of this film is perhaps the worst and most uncreative film ending in general that I have ever seen.
Oh well, it's worth renting, in my opinion, nothing more. At least the first one was a blast!
on July 29, 2003
This movie was not as good as the first one, but it is still worth watching. Instead of Gellar and Phillippe, Mekki Phifer and Brandy are added to the cast. I only gave this movie 3 stars because it sort of did too much on the killing and made it look unreal and unbelievable, it also left out too much of Freddie's Character only having him appear in certain points and at the end. It also didn't make sense how in the ending the gun all or a sudden was stocked with bullets. Despite all that it provides a good plot and characters that work well together, following Julie, Carla, Tyrell, and Will on a radio won trip to the Bahamas where their in for a wild ride, of course too make the story sensible that is the real home of the last movies killer ben willis, out to get them. This movie also has a bunch of twists and you won't know whos an enemy and who will help when it comes down to the end. I'd recommend either renting or buying this movie at some point and if you loved Scream or the origninal you wont be dissapointed!