Echo Spot countdown boutiques-francophones Introducing Fire TV Stick Basic Edition WFM home Kindle Paperwhite Explore the Amazon.ca Vinyl LP Records Store sports Tools

Customer reviews

On Tour With Eric Clapton
Format: Audio CD|Change

on January 5, 2004
As much as we share with each other, there are just some things we Yanks and them Brits just don't see eye to eye. As any peek into any English music magazine will show, both Americans and English have enthusiasms neither understands in each other. The English have never understood The Allman Brothers Band. As much as they love country music, soul music and Elvis, for some reason our brothers and sisters in the "old country" never understood the appeal of "Southern Rock"-especially the "boogie" school.
For all its faults, most Americans recognized the fevered swamps of Southern Rock as a part of the American musical landscape. It may not be to your taste; but in was American all right. Around 1970, the Allman Brothers and the company of bands that followed took America by storm. When Eric Clapton jumped right in with Delaney & Bonnie, several other British rockers dove into the pool with him. It baffled most of his countrymen, but we loved Clapton all the more for it. Make no mistake: it's for Clapton that most of us will pick up this CD.
This CD is just plain fun. As it goes, I think only one song, "Coming Home", actually got any airplay. But the album was on turntables everywhere in 1970-1971. The appeal was the loose and joyous atmosphere of several excellent musicians coming together to play and have fun.
Any album which ends with Eric Clapton easing into a Little Richard medley has a lot going for it.
on January 7, 2004
I would have to agree the CD falls short of the LP, which I had stolen in '89.
Can either compare to the concert? Do they do it justice?
Between 1969 and the closing of the Fillmore West I think I saw so many great bands that many I've forgotten. Tower of Power, It's A Beautiful Day, Joy of Cooking, Hot Tuna, were all local bands that could really boogie. Incoming was Fleetwood Mac while Pete Greenwood was still playing, the Allman Bros, (all of them) Doc Watson over at the Buddhi in Berkely, but the concert I remember most was Delaney & Bonnie going until the early morning hours, loving what they were doing and seemingly willing to play until we all got old and gray. "I Don't Want to Discuss It," and "Come Out In My Kitchen" blew me away that night. The only comparable performance I've seen in my life was a very old Texas farmer named Mance Lipscomb (Gotta be the inspiration for John Hammond)at the first Woodie Guthrie Folk Festival at Lincoln Park in Oklahoma City.
If you like Delta Blues, (and I surely do) and your collection includes people like Mississippi John Hurt, and Robert Johnson, you are going to love what Delaney & Bonnie do with it, but then if you own a Robert Johnson you already know that :)
on March 11, 2003
This album is just a great album of "live" Delaney and Bonnie!
And while all the music on it is fantastic, there is one track on the album which makes the entire album "special"! In fact if this one single track were the only good song on the album, it would have been worth purchasing. Bonnie Bramlett's "That's What My Man Is For"! Her 'lectric blues/soul delivery on this song outdoes even the great Janis Joplin for delivering "the ol' Kosmic Blues"! It has to be heard to be believed. . . and heard and heard again.
I love the entire album and it jumps alive from the moment you put it on. It's a shame they went their separate ways, but we have "this" to relive again and again.
p.s. Bonnie and Delaney recently played a live date together and were joined on stage by their daughter Bekka Bramlett. Let's hope that was recorded for the ages as well.
on October 15, 2002
This is one of those albums that puts other all-time favorites in perspective. It was a pivotal time for Clapton, who, coming from his brief Blind Faith experiment, was overwhelmed by superstar expectations. This tour allowed him to regroup as "one of the band" and, as another reviewer noted, continue with Carl Radle, Jim Gordon, and Bobby Whitlock as Derek & the Dominoes, where he was once again the lone soloist. Dave Mason, even though on the album he is introduced as a member of Traffic, was more or less split from them and in the process of playing with everybody who asked. Also, Carl Radle appears on some of Dave's solo stuff. Overall, this is a rippin' band that is obviously having fun. "Comin' Home" is my personal favorite, but I find myself listening to this one over and over and over. . .
on February 8, 2000
If you were a young woman of the late sixties, and you had this album, you will know what I mean. I could NOT stop belting out every song along with Bonnie--"Do Right Woman"..."That's What My Man Is For"...She eclipses the guys for a change ( and I am a huge Clapton fan) with her incredibly sensual howlingly torrid voice. Oh go buy it. Who cares if the CD quality is bad? HA!
on March 2, 2004
The energy of this recording is amazing. Clapton is on fire and the whole band kicks out a strong set of gospel influenced rock and roll. Great stuff. If you like Clapton at his peak (first solo album, Derek and the Dominos) you'll want this. Other sets that this is related too include Joe Cocker's Mad Dogs and Englishmen tour (many of the same people on both) and early 70's Leon Russell.
on January 3, 2004
This is what Rock and Roll was, is and always should be. Perfect synthesis of energy and art. Raw and yet controlled. D & B's vocals are the perfect match for Clapton and friends. Just about every track penetrates. My favorite is Coming Home - you can feel the soulful earnestness of the vocal supported by superb guitar work. While that's my favorite, the other tracks for the most part are tight runners up.
My opinion one of the 5 greatest Rock and Roll records ever!
on October 13, 2000
What a tour this must have been! Imagine a pick-up band with Eric Clapton, Dave Mason and Jessie Ed Davis on guitars, the rest of Derek and the Dominoes behind them, Jim Price and Bobby Keys on horns and Rita Coolidge to sing back up vocals. That's the team that Delaney and Bonnie Bramlett fielded for this 1970 gem. Thank God it was recorded! You won't be able to sit still during the opening Things Get Better, which manages to showcase every musician in one killer tune. Delaney and Bonnie's voices are wonderfully soulful in their Tribute Medley to Robert Johnson, and Dave Mason's Only You Know and I know rises to a new level. Bonnie really belts it out during That's What My Man is For, and a fun Little Richard Medley is icing on the cake. E.C. always loved being part of a band, and it really shows here. Everyone playing on this CD was young, healthy, energetic and still learning how good their music could be. I bought the vinyl 30 years ago, and now with the CD, I'm still loving it.Buy it and BOOGIE!
on July 16, 2001
Only if the complete show would be included in a CD set! It gives a glimpse of what to expect at a Delaney & Bonnie concert. They are known to give dynamic representations of their songs. Hope to see more of their live shows surface on CD someday.
on August 21, 1998
If you like Eric Clapton, if you like Dave Mason (also playing), Delaney & Bonnie, or just energetic southern rock, you will love this album. It is one that you can listen to over and over and still love years and years later.